Stress stress and more stress.

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if I’m alone here... I feel like I’m actually insane.
I find myself constantly worrying about my cat. Like.. so much anxiety. I worry if he’s happy, if he gets enough attention and enough playtime. I worry about him getting bored, depressed, or lonely.

This is probably because we ended up fostering a cat for three months and rehoming her so he’s back to being the only cat again. Even though he was VERY content being the only cat before. Why am I so worried all the time. It’s literally all I think about some days. Like if I’m out at the store or out with friends I always feel guilty if I’m out too long because my cats at home. And when I’m at work. This isn’t normal is it? I feel like I need therapy lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My anxiety gets especially worse when he has days where he doesn’t wanna play much. Or if he naps for too long. He’s healthy, he does play and eats just fine. I’m overthinking everything and don’t know how to stop

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try exercise, music, meditation, this website The Internet has a Cat! Meet Purrli, the online cat purr generator.
My point is that not only is this much stress bad for you, it will wear on him because cats are sponges for our emotions, and create a negative situation.

For him, in case he's missing the other cat at all, try cat music - Cat In My Arms on spotify or elsewhere is a great source and there are others.

Take him in for a wellness exam so that you know for certain how his health actually is, rather than wondering about it :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
H
Hi! Try exercise, music, meditation, this website The Internet has a Cat! Meet Purrli, the online cat purr generator.
My point is that not only is this much stress bad for you, it will wear on him because cats are sponges for our emotions, and create a negative situation.

For him, in case he's missing the other cat at all, try cat music - Cat In My Arms on spotify or elsewhere is a great source and there are others.

Take him in for a wellness exam so that you know for certain how his health actually is, rather than wondering about it :)
He got a checkup about a month ago and is totally healthy! Physically anyways. I just don’t want him to be sad like ever ever. Even though I don’t think he was bonded to the other cat much if at all.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats are often happier without other cats around. I look at my two and often wonder if they'd be happier if they were "only" cats :lol:. They've been together for 12 years now, but aren't really bonded. They tolerate each other, but that's about it. And they really vie for our attention ALL the time, which is stressful for me because I only have one lap and they refuse to sit on either side of me so I can pet them both at the same time.

Anyway, it's wonderful that you love your furbaby so much that you are worried about these things, BUT, you are possibly ruining your own health worrying about this. And if something were to happen to you, then you'd really have something to worry about,like who would take such good care of him. So you yourself need to try to relax and just enjoy him.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had some of these thoughts at times too, especially when I first got my cats. Its completely normal to think about but just make sure it's not consuming your whole day. I also know that this is may be on your mind more since you recently rehomed your foster cat and are making sure your resident cat is doing okay since the adjustment (I saw your last post)! Cats sleep around 15 hours a day. I'm sure your cat is happy to have you around, but even while you're busy or not home, they are content and sleeping. Remember that just by having your cat indoors, in a loving & safe home, they are already forever grateful. You could always hook up a camera and see what they do when you're gone (but you may not want to because you don't always want to feel the need to drop what you're doing to monitor your cat). Make time for yourself and feel free to go out knowing that your cat is safe and comfortable at home :)

~ One more thing that may help is just logging off of this site every once in awhile. I know it sounds silly, but sometimes when I read about other people's worries or problems about their cats, I tend to worry more about my cats. It's only natural but it may save your sanity lol!

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I struggle with this, but it is getting better. We adopted our three kitties just over 2 years ago, after losing our other 3 kitties, all within 2 months of each other. All from different conditions, it was just horrible timing, and the palliative care for them was all consuming. The last one passed in November 2018 and in December of 2018, we went to the shelter....and came home with 3 more. We made the right decision bringing them home as the house was just way too quiet and lonely going from 3 cats to zero, but I will admit that I was still grieving. As each cat passed away, I never fully grieved as I still had others that needed my care, I was sort of numb. And I carried that grief, guilt, fear and sadness when the new ones came home. And of course, to make matters worse, we adopted cats that required some work. One had ringworm, and the other two had URIs. And not only that but one of the one's with the URI also required special care as she was depressed, withdrawn and fearful. She needed a lot of work and patience to have her become "alive" again.
So yeah, I get it.
I developed anxiety (well....I always had some, but it became worse when caring for our 3 kitties who passed) including some OCD rituals, many of them that centered around the health and safety of the kitties. The stress also caused some IBD issues as well as my hair falling out, among a few other health symptoms. It's getting better, but it's slow going.
Our kitties are great and healthy, although our sensitive girl does suffer from separation anxiety and over grooms as a result (it started after going back to work, after our 3 and half month long pandemic lockdown). So that alone does make me feel guilty for leaving her for any length of time. But I know they are safe and happy. They are all so well tempered and get along fantastic with each other.
I just have to tell myself that worrying about them does nothing to help and only makes me crazy.
I'm sure your kitty is perfectly happy having you as his caregiver. Even on those days that he's not at playful or when you decide to hang out with friends. Most cats don't even care when we're gone for work all day considering they sleep for the most part. :)
But you can do things to enrich his environment to keep him entertained if you're not available. Like placing a few cat trees in front of windows so he can perch high and watch the birds and critters outside. Try a bunch of different toys to see what he likes best for playing alone. Make a schedule for him, that includes play time, feeding times, brushing times etc...most cats prefer the familiar and routine. Just make sure it's a schedule that you can also keep.
So don't think there's anything wrong for feeling the way you do, but at the same time, try not to let it get in the way of living a happy life.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:dont worry your not insane its a pretty good guess we all do the same as you to different degrees . for me its graycies health since i am on dissability she is never alone so i stress over her health every time she is trying to puke hairballs if i dont find any hairballs i cant help but start thinking is she really ok?near the begining of this month i took her in for bloodwork every thing came back healthy yet i cant relax until i know she has puked or pooped hair out that i can see with my eyes:lol: yes i try to get a good look at her poop every time if possible since thats how i found out she had tapeworms as a kitten

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My anxiety gets especially worse when he has days where he doesn’t wanna play much. Or if he naps for too long. He’s healthy, he does play and eats just fine. I’m overthinking everything and don’t know how to stop
You are definitely not alone. I worry if one of my ferals wanders off into the back yard. I barely sleep anymore as I sit and stare at the cams. And no amount of logic given by others helps me.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
To illustrate how bad I am, I have spent countless nights no sleep crying and worrying over a pair of bald eagles that reside at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC, glued to a cam. Or a pair in North East Florida. So you can imagine how bad I am with these cats. Logic, sadly, does not work with me. It should but I'm the type of person who imagines all the worst possible things that happen. The members here are compassionate and understanding but I'm sure it annoys them when "another tragedy" occurs or the cats were teased by the raccoons for the 100th time and I can't sleep. I can think of all the logic when nothing is happening but if I see something that is out of the ordinary, read something online, or hear something, the panic sets in and all logic goes out the window. :(

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To illustrate how bad I am, I have spent countless nights no sleep crying and worrying over a pair of bald eagles that reside at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC, glued to a cam. Or a pair in North East Florida. So you can imagine how bad I am with these cats. Logic, sadly, does not work with me. It should but I'm the type of person who imagines all the worst possible things that happen. The members here are compassionate and understanding but I'm sure it annoys them when "another tragedy" occurs or the cats were teased by the raccoons for the 100th time and I can't sleep. I can think of all the logic when nothing is happening but if I see something that is out of the ordinary, read something online, or hear something, the panic sets in and all logic goes out the window. :(
expect the worst hope for the best type thinking? i get like that to sometimes:)theres a positive though in it since we are expecting the worst its a pleasant surprise then when the worst doesnt happen

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats, even the very social ones need time alone. They are actually one of the introverts of the animal world. At the beginning of the pandemic vets reported an uptick in bladder issues with cats. Cats often show stress physically through bladder issues. The conclusion was that it is was a combination of change in routine and not getting as much alone time as they got before because people were working from home and kids were learning online rather then going to school.

Even when there are multiple cats in a home they often stake out their space to be alone for at least part of the day.