Stress related constipation?

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

not sur eif this should go in Behavior or Health, feel free to move if this isnt that place!

I've been doing a slow intro for my cat and new kitten for about 4 months and recently, after advice from here, let them both have free roam to allow the older one to teach the kitten some manners/boundaries before he gets too old.

Nimbus, the older cat, hasnt pooped in about 1-2 days? Could this be due to stress of having the kitten physically around so much more? She still not a fan of him (hissing/growling/swatting). What can i do to ease her stress? If the lack of poop continues, should i add miralax to her wet food(how long should i wait to add it?? The foster mom who had her had to do this because she got constipated from stress-related overgrooming.

Thanks!

Muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I use miralax/restoralax with one of my guys. He seems to get stress related constipation so when I see this starting I treat it once a day for a week or so. I would say if it’s already been a day or too since Nimbus has pooped, I would at it to the food now. There’s also a Product called Feliway that helps reduce stress among cats. I use the room spray rather than the plug in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I use miralax/restoralax with one of my guys. He seems to get stress related constipation so when I see this starting I treat it once a day for a week or so. I would say if it’s already been a day or too since Nimbus has pooped, I would at it to the food now. There’s also a Product called Feliway that helps reduce stress among cats. I use the room spray rather than the plug in.
Thanks! Unfortunately, feliway has had no effect on her ): im hoping time away from the kitten at night and when im at work helps her relax. I dont let them around each other unsupervised

Muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weird how it works on some cats and not on others! I have 4 cats and it works on 3 of them! lol!
I say treat with the miralax now just to help if the cats uncomfy.

what about giving the kitten big play sessions with a wand or some thing? Maybe she’ll be a bit calmer and the other cat will be more tolerant. Worth a try!

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weird how it works on some cats and not on others! I have 4 cats and it works on 3 of them! lol!
I say treat with the miralax now just to help if the cats uncomfy.

what about giving the kitten bug play sessions with a wand or some thing? Maybe she’ll be a bit calmer and the other cat will be more tolerant. Worth a try!
I tried that haha he's got too much energy and i have a big paper to write. I'm taking breaks every now and then to play with him and watching them closely when im not. just a lot of hissing and growling from the grumpy girl. Will definitely try miralax tonight for her

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: nimbus might have has a big poop a day ago (not sure if it was her because the kitten uses all the boxes too. but for the size it was, make sense to be hers. fingers crossed). emailed the vet and was just told to add water to her dry food and more to her wet. I havent noticed straining, but also havent even noticed many trips to the box? saw a very short one to pee this morning i think. but hopefully this will pass. I've been adding pumpkin to her wet food but haven't seen much change. any advice on how to get her to go?

TiggerTonks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Instead of miralax i'd give luctalose a go prolonged use of miralax can have side effects and if it's just stress related worth a try you get it from a pharmacy pretty inexpensive if puss will take it from a syringe try 1ml rest of the syringe water with food twice a day if hard to medicate just put in in the water or food, add a little water to food reduce dry or wet it first, give your stressed cat a break from the other and it's own litter if your still having problems after that i'd be getting bloodwork from a vet just to rule out anything more serious, i have lots of experience with this unfortunatley.