Stress from fireworks?

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My 5 year old cat is really sensitive to sounds and with fireworks going off all day yesterday didn’t help.. I woke up this morning and she had diarrhea and she just threw up bile 3 times. could this be from a lot of stress yesterday? I tried giving her usual steroid meds but threw that up shortly after as well. I’m hoping she could get some rest and hopefully eat a little later.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
If there are more fireworks tonight, use chamomile tea (from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Buy a box of plain chamomile tea bags, brew a cup. Chill it in the fridge, and give 3 teaspoonfuls up to 3 times a day via syringe or medicine dropper. Be sure to use the commercial tea bags, as they are pure German chamomile. English chamomile is pretty useless medicinally, and is TOXIC to cats.), get a sound machine asap, buy calming products, use a fan for white noise with the breeze directed away from her, and check with your vet about her reaction today - it seems like it could possibly a little more than stress.

Try cat music for her today - there's spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes what helps our kitties is to put them in their carrier with a towel over the top and place it on the couch next to us. We also have a product called Peacemaker from Spirit Essences that helps calm my scaredy cat. I give him drops with his dinner wet food. It helps him chill and it doesn't make him sleepy.

ETA: You might also look into running Comfort Zone or Feliway diffusers to help your kitty de-stress.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dogs have a natural product called Rescue Remedy. I have never used it but it is supposed to work well I think it comes in drops to put in the water.
Don't know if this will help anyone.
j

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dogs have a natural product called Rescue Remedy. I have never used it but it is supposed to work well I think it comes in drops to put in the water.
Don't know if this will help anyone.
j
The cats can use the pet formula of Rescue Remedy as well