Stress After A Vet Visit??

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.
I took my one remaining cat to the vet for her 6 month senior check up on Saturday. She is a fearful cat, easily stressed out. Sunday morning I woke up at 5 a.m. to her howling and vomitting. I saw she had a big normal bowel movement followed by loose stool. I thought it might be from the stress of the vet visit. But late last night she meowed loudly and ran to the box, had loose stool again with what may or may not have been a tiny bit of blood in it. She threw up this morning. I put some forti-flora in her breakfast. She won't eat people food so chicken and rice is out.

I spoke with the vet this morning and he strongly believes it's stress. He told me I had three options: ride it out for another day and see if it clears up, bring her back in for reevaluation, or pick up some metronizadole (antibiotic).

Has anyone else's cat ever stressed out so bad they got like this???

She seems fine otherwise. Eating, drinking, peeing. She did sleep a lot this weekend but that's not unusual for her.
Also, we are getting blood work results back this afternoon, so if there are any issues, I'll find out.

In my heart I fear this is IBD, like what I went through with Timmer last year. In fact, it was around this time last year he started having problems.
Thanks.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said that one of ours had 'a little stroke' in response to going to the vet. They gave us Valium (maybe it's been a long time) to give her before we brought her in. She did recover from that trip in a couple of days. Later when we gave her the Valium it helped with vet visits.

Her symptoms were difficulty standing and walking and a glazed look.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...oh I'm sorry to hear this!

Not like this, although the last time, he held his pee while he was at the vet's, tried to tell the person who was picking him up to bring him home (realized it after the fact but there was no safe place to let him out anyway) and he soaked the carrier and seat of the car. For him, very!! not normal but still, not like what you're describing....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Furball, Lu has also peed in the carrier a couple of times in her life. She really does get stressed out when she goes to the vet.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn! It may be time to ask the vet to prescribe a sedative to get her past the tough spot. Maybe half the usual dose of Valium?

Margret

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good news! The vet called and her blood work is fantastic. I was so relieved to hear that I cried. He believes the diarrhea and blood was stress-induced colitis. He told me see how she is this evening and if it's not better come pick up the antibiotic.
I'm still not 100% convinced it's not IBD but that's probably because of what I went through with Timmer last year.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news! The vet called and her blood work is fantastic. I was so relieved to hear that I cried. He believes the diarrhea and blood was stress-induced colitis. He told me see how she is this evening and if it's not better come pick up the antibiotic.
I'm still not 100% convinced it's not IBD but that's probably because of what I went through with Timmer last year.
I recently took my cat to the vet and she developed diarreah (first time in her 15 years??)and vomited quite a bit! I believe it was definitely stress related as the only thing they did was take blood.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lalawh, how long did it take her to get back to normal? I got home tonight and Lupita seems to be doing well, litter boxes are clean, she has bright eyes. I saw she ate breakfast. She's relaxing in bed right now and hasn't gotten up, but that's not unusual for her. She's 14 years old. Always gets stressed at the vet and I almost always have to take her back but she's never had diarrhea and vomitted. Usually just goes into the back of the closet and spaces out. It isn't pretty, that's for sure.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she's feeling better! :dancingblackcat:

By the way, if you want to ask a question and make sure the member you're asking is notified, you do it like this: 1 10032067 . Suggestions should pop up as you're typing if you include the @ symbol, and the person you tagged that way will get an email to alert them.

Margret