Strays taken to shelter?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What proof of ownership does a shelter ask for when someone says its there cat? I assume they can't force someone to chip and fix the cat if they are not already. Unless there are some kind of law in the area. Its great when owners are found. But what if the pet goes back to the home where its not cared for properly? Like vaccinations etc.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depends on local laws. In my county, any stray animal has to be altered, microchiped and have a rabies in order to be released back to an owner. I am not sure what proof of ownership they ask for but one would assume someone isn't going to claim a pet and pay the fees if it isn't theirs. I know my shelter requires you to describe your pet before checking out the stray animals. They are kept out of public view but are posted on the website as strays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Depends on local laws. In my county, any stray animal has to be altered, microchiped and have a rabies in order to be released back to an owner. I am not sure what proof of ownership they ask for but one would assume someone isn't going to claim a pet and pay the fees if it isn't theirs. I know my shelter requires you to describe your pet before checking out the stray animals. They are kept out of public view but are posted on the website as strays.
Well not hard to describe if they have seen a picture. I hope they would make them get fixed and chipped. The animal was 10 months old. I'd hope they would have the sense to do it now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm also assuming that if the cat was chipped. They wouldn't post him as a stray to find the owner? They would have just contacted the owner? I'm saddened to think the owner has had them since they were kittens but did not fix them or at least chip him :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some people don't know you should fix cats or have moral objections to it. We know it is the best option for your cats health and well-being but not everyone else does. I know most counties in my area require spaying or neutering prior to releasing back to owner, so hopefully that is similar where you are. I know in my area, lost cats get posted as strays even if they have microchips because sometimes the microchip isn't registered or the information is outdated. They will normally reach out and put the animal on stray hold status for the required time. That way if information is out of date the owner is still able to find their pet.