Stray Won't Play

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in a stray about 5 mos ago and he's about 5 years old. He won't play. He chases a rattle mouse only once if I throw it, then walks away. He barely jumps at the da bird, once or twice. He mostly looks out the window or door wanting to go out, but he's gotten a little better with that. It's like he knows toys aren't real prey. He's gaining a bit of weight, too, 15 lbs, full polydactyl. It seems like he is a bit unhappy, ( my projection ). We have another cat that's half his weight, 9 lbs. The poly does attack the lightweight at times, and although the poly's ears are semi back, my lightweight's are usually up, can run faster, jump higher and sometimes comes back for more. At least it's exercise when they run around the house. My lightweight can never have enough play with toys. The poly does not like to go high, he probably feels safer on the ground. More afraid of males.

I'd like to get the poly to play. I've used da bird, lure toys, go cat catcher, rattle mice, fur mice, cloth mice, laser and foil balls. He LOVES chasing an occasional fly in the house, eats them, too. :p Any suggestions? Should I not worry? He's been vet checked.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure but it seems that unless they're played with when they're kittens they really don't get it.  I have a 2 year old semi-feral cat that she is just starting to catch on as far as play games.  Yours is five years old and he's probably thinking, "I can't eat it, why would I chase it?"  Just my thought.

sirentist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a toy called a cat dancer that moves very similar to a fly ... maybe you could tempt him with that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have a cat dancer, he only played with it short term. Thank u, though.

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keyes, That may be the problem, can't eat it, what's the point? Waste of energy jumping around. He must think the other cat is an idiot. LOL! I've orderd a fake butterfly in a jar, we'll see how long he watches that before it ends up on the floor. [emoji]128521[/emoji] At least I know I'm not alone.

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He went nutz over a thick rubber band. The other went nutz of a 1" rubber band ball. I have to monitor the 2nd as he's a pica. He won't eat a plain rubber band, but will chomp on the ball. Cats can be weird.