Stray To Pet (medically Fragile)

TereO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted on the breed identification forum a couple weeks ago, asking for help identifying a stray my son has been caring for the past year.
This past Saturday the cat was found covered in vomit and unresponsive. He was rushed to the vet and he was diagnosed with kidney disease, we don't know the extent just yet.
Needless to say Sushi's life as a stray is over, and he is being forced to be a indoor kitty. Despite Sushi being really sick, in 4 short days he has mastered using the litter box. However upon his exit he drags bunch of litter out with him, he doesn't try to keep it in the box. Any suggestions in helping him be a tidy cat?

Attachments

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats with kidney disease drink a lot of water and consequently urinate a lot. It's their way of flushing out their kidneys. He's likely dragging some litter out on his feet because of how much he's urinating. Maybe try a heavier brand of clumping litter, it will make the litter easier to scoop out of the box. You'll need to scoop out his litter more often during the day than normal because of his kidney issues. Try getting a little mat for outside the litter box for him to further get the litter off his feet.

I hope you will get him neutered if he hasn't already been neutered.

Bless you for adopting this cat. Cats with kidney disease can live several years when they're cared for indoors. Did the vet say how old the cat is, and whether or not this is a chronic condition or something that may improve? Sometimes if a young cat ingest something toxic, he will have kidney problems, but there may be improvement-- as opposed to elderly cats whose kidneys decline with age. You could get another kidney panel done on him in a few months, to know for certain. That kitty is very lucky to have found you!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once he starts to feel better he may be neater. and a litter mat would be a good idea as msaimee said. I did see a Fresh step litter at walmart, something new that is suppose to be lower tracking. might help too.

I am glad you have him, pretty boy, and are getting him the help he needs! Keep us updated on his progress!