Stray supposedly not a stray?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just spay her. This woman is being ridiculous. Even if she got mad enough to try to go to the police which is absurd, you would have the vet paperwork to prove you are caring for her. Irresponsible owners have no say when it comes to leaving cats in situations like this. End of story.

P.S. Feline herpes is a viral infection like the human cold sore virus and is not sexually transmitted, it can show similar to upper respiratory infections and is passed by ocular or nasal secretions and saliva.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I stopped asking for permission to neuter other people’s pets a lonnnnng time ago.

If they don’t get on board with fixing them, your hands are pretty much tied since you’ve acknowledged it’s their property, and they’re going to know who did it.

But if an unneutered cat walks into my trap, well... plausible deniability.

I will not allow anyone’s pet to reproduce outdoors while pet overpopulation is so bad. I have even taken people’s dogs in to be fixed when friends and family tell me about this free roaming dog in their neighborhood that keeps having feral puppies who live under a porch year after year.

You neglect your pet at the expense of society and other animals, then I’m making a judgement call. It’s definitely a grey area, but I could not work in rescue if I cared about getting permission from people like this.

I cannot watch an animal suffer pregnancy after pregnancy, with uncared for, feral babies, or watch males fight to the death. I can’t do it, I won’t do it, so long as there’s something I can do.

Again, moral grey area, but I just honestly don’t care anymore.

Your only solid option right now is to convince her or her son to let you go through with it. I would not do it behind her back now that you’ve acknowledged you know the cat is hers. That’s just a bit dicey, legally speaking.

I think you could convince the son from the sounds of it, though. He seems to understand his mother is being irrational and irresponsible. You might even mention to him the other things you noticed about the poor girl.

If she doesn’t want people “stealing” her cat, then she should keep it inside where, you know, she can monitor kitty’s food and actually notice when the damn cat is pregnant and has given birth.

Thank you for bringing some sanity to the situation, and some mercy on this poor girl and her kittens.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope you’re doing ok kamijo kamijo — I’ve been thinking about you all day. I’m glad you’re hearing from SO many members who are pulling for you AND Bella!!!!! I think I said in my earlier post that I know from personal experience it’s COMPLETELY nerve-wracking seeing a kitty you KNOW a neighbor calls “her cat” but yet completely neglects her in every way. As many above have said — Bella showed her true trust & faith in you by bringing you the most important things in her life: her babies. Obviously Bella is desperate not just for food & shelter, but even more for compassion, companionship & love. Ithink about neither your neighbor nor her son even realizing she was pregnant—or that she’d had given birth?!?!! Your neighbor must not even SEE her on a regular basis—-let alone feed her, etc.

In several townships around where I live actually consider - if you feed an uncollared cat it's automatically yours in the eyes of that township's laws (and you're responsible for having proof of rabies shots, etc. considered yours. It's caused some uproar around here - especially with people trying to care for and TNR large colonies - but in your case, it could actually hep your case legally if you spayed her, etc. - - since you'd have the proof you'd cared for her!

Please PLEASE keep us all updated! Thinking about you all alot!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope you’re doing ok kamijo kamijo — I’ve been thinking about you all day. I’m glad you’re hearing from SO many members who are pulling for you AND Bella!!!!! I think I said in my earlier post that I know from personal experience it’s COMPLETELY nerve-wracking seeing a kitty you KNOW a neighbor calls “her cat” but yet completely neglects her in every way. As many above have said — Bella showed her true trust & faith in you by bringing you the most important things in her life: her babies. Obviously Bella is desperate not just for food & shelter, but even more for compassion, companionship & love. Ithink about neither your neighbor nor her son even realizing she was pregnant—or that she’d had given birth?!?!! Your neighbor must not even SEE her on a regular basis—-let alone feed her, etc.

In several townships around where I live actually consider - if you feed an uncollared cat it's automatically yours in the eyes of that township's laws (and you're responsible for having proof of rabies shots, etc. considered yours. It's caused some uproar around here - especially with people trying to care for and TNR large colonies - but in your case, it could actually hep your case legally if you spayed her, etc. - - since you'd have the proof you'd cared for her!

Please PLEASE keep us all updated! Thinking about you all alot!
Just a quick update: Since talking with her son I've not seen the woman around my house. Bella has been staying more on my porch and in the kitty houses we keep there.

We went from feeding 7 strays up to 10 now. We believe the new ones were thrown out as they all seem scared of everything but respond if called. We're working on gaining their trust so we can check to see if they are fixed and if so then a vet visit for ID check is next.

I'm not sure if they found us by smell of food or if the oldest stray we TNR-ed brought them up.

Also, pic time! Some are from our night cams but they show Bella and the kittens we named Ribbit, Cheshire, and Lunar. The black cat we call Bane is the oldest stray and then there is another female we call Pepper. Sorry my window still has Christmas on it, darn stuff won't peel off!

Attachments