Stray rescued in NYC blizzard

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A woman found a sweet litttle female outside in the blizzard NYC on sat. It had frostbite on her nose and an ear, and was very emaciated. She brought it into our rescue group (www.kittykind.org) when I was there that afternoon. I decided to foster her until she's better. She's being kept away from our cats in an outter hallway. She's been tested, vaccinated and de-wormed. She's eating and made her first pee and poop last night. She's very sweet and just needs TLC for a while and then we'll find her a good home.

She's goin to the vet later today to get checked out. If there's interest, i'll post updates. her name for now is Little Girl, and she's tan and gray and about 6-8 months old we're guessing. All skin and bones right now poor thing. I expect she was kicked out of her home. People are awful.

Stephen

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Stephen, update please. Glad you are fostering this little sweetheart. God bless her. Any pics?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By the way guy- your article- it rocked! It will be online in Feb.

Good luck with this little one, I know she is in the best of hands. All those cats caught in such extreme weather, my heart is sore for their well-being and care-

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stephen, this is one lucky Little Girl. She couldn't be in better hands! Please let us know how she's doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok so here is an update and a reply to all your kind comments:
~ Thanks Kumbulu

~ Kittylover4ever - i don't know how to upload pics here - am i dumb or what!? Can anyone tell me how to upload pics, and yes I have pics of her.
~ Hissy, thanks for the comment about the article, i'm excited and thanks for publishing it. Right now with the cold and the snow here in NYC, its awful for the cats. I worry about cats getting trapped by deep snow when they're hiding under dumpsters....
~ KTLynn, thanks for your sweet thoughts

Update: She went to a great vet today, experienced with street cats, and they didn't even charge for the exam. The big news: she's 10-12 years old not 6 months. We were tricked by her small size i guess, but now it makes sence, she's very gentle and sedate.

She's in good overall health depsite her weight. A small part of her right ear will fall off in time due to frostbite. SHe's still eating well, no upper respiratory infections (knock on wood), and her little home is warm and cozy and she seems happy in it. We're with her many times a day, and take her out of her cage and hold her. Right now we're focusing on giving her increased confidence in her environment, helping her gain weight, and watching her overall health.

More soon....

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhhh, it seems i'm not an old enough cat (unlike my rescue cat) to post attachments. Anyone want to post a pic of her for me...??

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear of a rescue during these blizzards. If only we knew her story! She may have been lost after sneaking a ride in the car, or thrown away, or maybe her folks lost their home and just left her behind. Or else, she disappeared when it was time to move, and they had to leave without her. Once, I found a cat in mid-winter on the side of the highway near Mammoth Lakes. There was about 12 ft. of snow on the ground, so I wondered how she got there. She was about 5 miles out of town, on U.S. 395, in the National Forest. She was in good condition, except for extreme thirst, and was very friendly and affectionate. Maybe she escaped from a U-Haul. Only she knows.

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To upload images, if your a new user here and do not have attach privlages then you will need to use the [ IMG]http://www.YourSite.com/ImageName.jpg[ /img] tags (but take out the spaces I left in them) and point that towards the proper website and image name. www.photobucket.com will let you sign up an host images free. Once they are there you can get their address to use in the IMG tags here.

Good luck with the little one! We just rescued Buddy from the winter snow also a couple of weeks ago. It is horrible that people let their cats out in this and then let them starve as he was also thin when we found him. Hes such a sweet Buddy too.

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my! She is beautiful. I'm so glad you're able to take care of her. Keep us posted!!! (=

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, she's just beautiful. Bless you and the wonderful woman who rescued her. I hope that she now finds her forever home.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, big surprise about Little Girl's age! No matter, though. What a sweet, pretty girl she is! It just breaks my heart to think of her on the city streets alone and freezing. Poor baby, how she must have suffered. What a dreadful time of year this is for homeless kitties.

I'm so glad she's warm, safe and loved now. I hope she'll soon be in a home of her own.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes its awful to think of the pain, fear and loneliness that she and countless other cats go through, many with the only "reward" being death. I do my best to keep my eye on the positive. Little Girl will get a great home, no matter how long it takes.

I joke about the adoption interview I will do for her, "So, the platter that you plan to serve the roast turkey on is only silver plate!!?? You're Rejected!!!!"

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update: Little Girl is doing well. She's put on a little weight, and is calming down. No more hissing (there was a little hissing at first, but only until she realized who it was approaching her. And, 3 days after listing her on Petfinder.com we have a possible adoption for her. A sweet older single woman who is looking for an older female cat is going to come and see her this coming week.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephenq

Update: Little Girl is doing well. She's put on a little weight, and is calming down. No more hissing (there was a little hissing at first, but only until she realized who it was approaching her. And, 3 days after listing her on Petfinder.com we have a possible adoption for her. A sweet older single woman who is looking for an older female cat is going to come and see her this coming week.
So glad to hear this!
I hope Little Girl has found a wonderful forever home.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great News! Little Girl is being adopted. The woman who showed interest met her today - and they are a great match and we are happy to adopt to her. We are delivering her tomorrow. She responderd to a petfinder.com "ad" after only 3 days.

Little Girl's ship has come in. She is retired now and on full disability. This cat will want for nothing.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!! What a great ending to a story with such a sad beginning! I can't begin to express how happy I am for Little Girl. You just made my day!!!