Stray Pregnant Cat

Mommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So there has been a cat hanging around my house for a while (amish live behind my house on the hill which they have a million and one cats and kittens, I think she came from there). I have been feeding her and she's been sleeping in my shed and on my porch. She's a slender girl, her sides have been popping out lately and when she lays on her back I can see movement, like pushing out of her stomach. I've never had a pregnant cat before so any advice or tips would be much appreciated, please and thank you!

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring mama inside? That would be best for her and babies. She is towards the end of her pregnancy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried a couple times before but she gets aggressive and tries attacking to get back out. So I've made her up a bed area out on my porch and anytime she wants me to come outside to her she comes and bangs on my window.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The issue is that mom can get pregnant again within a week of delivering, and also that kittens will not be safe. I would try to get mom settled inside now while you still have time.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for looking out for that poor kitty - she must have a good guardian angel. Since she insists on being outside, the best that you can do is ensure the safety and health of the family. The shelter is an excellent start, especially if you have blocked off the access points from predators such as skunks and raccoons (wild cats often choose lumber piles, haystacks and old cars for their nursery). The nutrition component is also important - a good quality kitten chow as well as a kitten milk formula are ideal. I prefer goat milk to the cow's milk/whey based products and better yet is a "kitten glop" formula such as WWW.kitten-rescue.com's. Please keep us updated - this is how I get my kitten fix as almost all the ferals in my various colonies are fixed.

Mommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When can I expect kittens? I caught a Tom outside watching her and snapped his picture February 23rd. I'm pretty sure the mating happened around then sometime. Should I be expecting her to have them soon? Today she has been eating a little bit but mostly laying around on her back for me to rub her belly. She won't let anyone else around, she'll start growling now which she has never done before.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you can see kitten movement? It is usually 2 weeks or less after that!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you well, she should be fine as long as she has a protected place to give birth. Give her a protected place in the shed with a small hole or opening to get in, or a large tote with a hole cut in it on the porch with blankets or towels. Give her kitten food, it is higher in nutrition and calories which is what she really needs right now. Cats are always afraid of being locked up in a strange house, so that is not unusual behavior. She has to get used to a house first, and have a way to escape at first if she needs to. Leaving the door open for a while helps, she can get used to looking inside and seeing it is safe. I'll pray that everything goes well for the birthing, she is so very lucky to have found someone to help and look after her. I hope you can find it in your heart to spay her when the kittens are about 8 weeks old, she is doomed to a life of perpetual savage matings and endless kittens if you can't. She obviously trusts you enough to ask you for help, she would be a faithful and loving companion if you can love her in return. All teh luck, you will be blessed for your kindness.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have tried a couple times before but she gets aggressive and tries attacking to get back out. So I've made her up a bed area out on my porch and anytime she wants me to come outside to her she comes and bangs on my window.
If you're up for the challenges that come with such a situation, I would try again to allow her inside. During/after pregnancy they tend to want a secure space and tend to be friendlier. After she's had her babies and the vet says it's safe to do so you can get her fixed and that will help with the aggression long term.

There are two methods to do this:

1) Trap her in a humane trap and bring her inside. This is the fastest method but can result in the behaviour you're referring to. They feel trapped and will do anything to get out.

2) The slow way that results in the best long term results. First, setup a "nest" somewhere in the home, somewhere dark & hidden, low traffic but accessible. A good spot for her to give birth and feel her kittens are safe, ideally this would be somewhere relatively easily discovered from the entrance. Then, simply leave the door open around the times she's known to come around and be somewhere she can see you immediately upon entering. Grab a book or something and just wait for her to come in. Placing food inside the door can help the initial entry. When she does enter, remain still and slow blink at her occasionally to let her know you're not a threat and try to just ignore her after that. Allow her to come in and go out as she pleases, let her feel like she's got an escape route. As she gets more comfortable she'll start finding a spot near to the door to lay down; placing a cat bed there can help. Let her hang out and explore - she'll start exploring deeper into the house. With any luck she'll discover the "nest" and lay down for a nap. When she does, close the door. Upon waking she'll be skittish and likely a bit aggressive so just keep your distance and try to do some activities that don't require a lot of movement. She will calm down after a time and as she learns that food is readily available and safe spots for her & her babies she'll start to adapt. Don't expect pets and cuddles but don't be afraid of the occasional hiss or growl either. She'll let you know what she's comfortable with.

We've used strategy #1 twice and strategy #2 four times to great success. Depending on your level of commitment and how much time before her babies are born you can decide which strategy is appropriate for you.

There is also a third option if you're not up to taking on the task of caring for and finding homes for these cats... TNR. She's too far along in her pregnancy to abort it sounds like so you would have to wait for her to give birth and about 8 weeks after that you can trap them, take them to be fixed/vaccinated (many areas offer this for free or reduced charge), and then returned to where they were trapped. It's a bit of work but it will keep them from breeding out of control and should you so desire you could feed the colony as well but that means a long term commitment to not only the cats that are born, but to TNRing any that come to the feeding station.

Mommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There will be a day I can see little flutters in her belly then a day or two that I can't then a day I see movement again. Today she has been licking herself quit a bit down there but she's having a hard time doing so and falls over trying then she'll lay down. I've been feeding her kitten food since she's shown up at my house. She had a closed area in my shed that she sleeps in, I made up a bed in there for her, and on my porch I have a very large dog cage that has blankets and food dishes in there for her. I plan on spaying her as soon as possible. I do hope once she has them she stays around here because she is a wonderful girl. I'm the only person she will come to or let around right now.

Mommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There will be a day I can see little flutters in her belly then a day or two that I can't then a day I see movement again. Today she has been licking herself quit a bit down there but she's having a hard time doing so and falls over trying then she'll lay down. I've been feeding her kitten food since she's shown up at my house. She had a closed area in my shed that she sleeps in, I made up a bed in there for her, and on my porch I have a very large dog cage that has blankets and food dishes in there for her. I plan on spaying her as soon as possible. I do hope once she has them she stays around here because she is a wonderful girl. I'm the only person she will come to or let around right now.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There will be a day I can see little flutters in her belly then a day or two that I can't then a day I see movement again. Today she has been licking herself quit a bit down there but she's having a hard time doing so and falls over trying then she'll lay down.
Sounds like she's getting ready!

Mommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really hope so! I'm becoming impatient lol. I'm so excited for them to come and so is my mother in law. I check on her a million times during the day and sit outside with her for a while when my boys go to sleep at night. This past week she's been wanting me to rub her belly a lot.

Mommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm almost 100% sure she had her kittens last night or early this morning but I have no idea where she had then or if they are alive she has like mucus hanging out of her and her sides are pretty flat now, she not big at all. She's meowing at me constantly and I've tried going in my shed to see them but had no success and I tried looking with a flashlight under my shed but can't see anything. She's trying to get in my house now instead of being with kittens. What do I do?! I've been trying to watch and see where she is going and the only place she goes to is the shed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the kittens are in the shed. Have you fed her?

She sounds like she is trying to tell you she had them! I hope you'll be able to find them. I wonder if she wants to bring them in your house?

Mommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes there is food and water in the shed.

I found two dead kittens. she's uses my garden as a potty and one was in there and the other was in front of our truck.

How do I know if she is done having kittens?
She just tried to use the bathroom in my garden and she was pushing and meowing for a couple minutes. She's meowing continously right now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear. It sounds like she may have a kitten stuck in her birth canal. Can you get her to the vet?

Mommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I don't drive.. she is having more mucus come out and is cleaning it. The other kitten in my garden that was dead isn't real cold, the other dead one is stiff..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried to revive the warm kitten by rubbing it vigorously in a towel?