Stray Pregnant Cat Due Any Day

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat lucy is due any day. her belly seems to have dropped but i haven’t felt any movement from the kittens. I got her about a month ago and she was already showing so i assume she was 4-5 weeks pregnant, which is how i’m estimating her due date. is it possible that there are only 1-2 kittens and that’s why i can’t feel the movement? i’m positive it has to be a relatively small litter. she never got very large but she’s definitely pregnant. she now is acting very clingy and vocal and her belly dropped so i assume we have 1 or 2 days left. just wondering if it’s normal not to feel crazy movement before she gives birth. hope someone can help, i am just so anxious!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. It’s just that i haven’t felt or seen any movement at all in the time i’ve had her, except for little bubble type flicks. Which i guess could be chalked up to only 1 or 2 babies? i’m just not sure. trying to be patient but i think we can all agree that’s hard! haha

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
People talk about seeing crazy movement but when my cat was pregnant I saw little to no movement the entire time, and she had three healthy babies!

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, that makes me feel better, but now however many hours later i have a new question! Do cats in labor almost resemble cats in heat? with the neediness and the meowing? Lucy won’t leavy my leg, INSISTS on belly rubs, and keeps cooing much like my other cat does when she’s in heat. She’s claws deep in my pant leg as i type this

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup, that is all normal too :) Sometimes they get even more affectionate or possibly more distant as they get closer. But everything that you are describing is normal pregnant Kitty behavior, hormones raging :)

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay update! Still going with the belly rubs, but now i notice both when i’m sitting with my hand on her belly and when she’s laying down resting she gets waves of shivers that i can see mostly in her legs. could that be early contractions? i can’t feel any tightening in her belly and they seem to come and go, but i’ve never seen her do it before so i was wondering if that’s what that could be?

i feel like i’m asking a lot of questions, but i’m just happy to be able to get answers from people who have been through this so thanks in advance!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those are contractions that occur in early labor. How is she doing now?

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No babies over night, she’s still the same as of this morning. Just wants to be close to me, which i can’t say i mind!

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay guys. No progression it seems. Still acting very needy and vocal, and she has started yowling a lot more. Still pacing all over but hasn’t spent much time in her nesting area. I’m just not sure what to think! I’ve got this bizarre feeling that something isn’t right. maybe that’s just my nerves.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's most likely ok, this is normal sounding nesting behavior. Don't panic yet. Most times she will not enter the next until she is literally about to birth. Vocal and attention seeking is normal too. You should give this a read:

Abandoned Cats Taken In One Appears Imminently About To Have Kittens - All Advice Greatly Appreciate

If she seems to be actively laboring and straining for extended periods of time with no results, that's the time to start to be worried and think about the vet. Cats, like humans, can be in labor for awhile before anything major happens. Just be around and keep an eye on her, and keep us posted!

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No :/ she’s still the same. She goes between periods of wanting to sleep then she’s up and around yelling for me and following me. I don’t know what to think. I mean she seems fine, not like she’s stressed or anything. I’m probably just being impatient i suppose haha. But i really thought i’d wake up to babies. We had her confined to her little area where i have the nesting box set up, but still nothing. So i don’t know.

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok i’m still at a loss. She goes back and forth between acting totally normal and acting like she might be getting ready for labor. Would anybody be willing to watch this video and let me know if you think it could be possible contractions???? If you listen close you can hear her making noise.

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry the video is at a weird angle, i was scared to move to much because i didn’t want her to get up and walk away

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That looks like regular kitten movement to me and not contractions. It apparently is not time yet, but her hormones are in high gear and this is why her moods are all over the place.

Relax and wait for Mother Nature to do her thing! :)

sammyhigh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, i’m not sure what’s going on, just to give everyone an update. Her personality has totally changed. She doesn’t flip over for belly rubs anymore, and if i touch her belly too much when she’s laying down she will get up and walk away. No more heat-like behavior, that only lasted a day. Sometimes her belly feels soft and squishy and other times it’s tight and firm and i swear i can still feel at least one kitten (when she lets me touch it.) It’s so strange because her behavior was loving and affectionate the entire month i had her, then we had that one super strange day, and now she’s not just back to “normal” she’s even less affectionate than she has been this entire time. It’s always possible i’m wrong on the dates (with that being said she could still have this weekend or early next week). But not much longer than that. She hasn’t nested at all but she’s been going into some places she’s never gone before, like behind the couch and into some closets. But she’s still very active, eating, drinking and using the litter box regularly. Just not sure what to think. her belly felt squishy yesterday and tight today. Anyways, that’s pretty much all just wanted to update everyone. thanks for all your help