Stray Mom Cat and Kitten

Do you think the mom is small because she is still growing, or that she is just a small cat.

• She is still growing

• She is just a small cat

Results are only viewable after voting.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello guys I am new here, I have a situation with a stray mom cat and kitten, here's the details.

I recently moved to a new house and we found a few stray cats including a mom and her kitten. The mom herself is very tame, she will snuggle with you and you can pick her up, and she is very small, she might be a kitten herself. The kitten was definitely more cautious, but she has gotten much better over the past few weeks. I'm pretty sure that the kitten is about 7-8 weeks old, based on the research I did. She is very playful, and her mom catches her mice and she eats the whole thing, she seems to be pretty healthy. Since we live out in the country and we don't have enough money to spay them, what do you think we should do to stop them having kittens. Also the mom usually lets the kitten sleep with her in the insulated house we made them, but earlier today the mom went in, then the kitten tried to get in but the mom hissed and hit her with her paw. Why is she behaving in this way? I hope someone can shine some light on this situation, I'm at a loss for what to do. Thanks!

Brittani723

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 barn cats and I was able to have them both neutered for free because they are semi feral. You bring them in in a live trap and they fix them, give them shots, and clip their ear. Then you are able to bring them home and release them. I would check with vets in your area to see if they offer this free service.

Brittani723

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And about her being small, she might just be a small cat. I am by no means a cat expert, but I recently took in an adult female who is so tiny, probably only 5 or 6 pounds. I have 2 males that are over 10 pounds. And one of my barn cats is quite small. So I think some cats are just smaller than others. But I could be way wrong lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And about her being small, she might just be a small cat. I am by no means a cat expert, but I recently took in an adult female who is so tiny, probably only 5 or 6 pounds. I have 2 males that are over 10 pounds. And one of my barn cats is quite small. So I think some cats are just smaller than others. But I could be way wrong lol
You're probably right, I did weigh her and she was 7 pounds, so she probably is just a small cat.
Thanks!

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 barn cats and I was able to have them both neutered for free because they are semi feral. You bring them in in a live trap and they fix them, give them shots, and clip their ear. Then you are able to bring them home and release them. I would check with vets in your area to see if they offer this free service.
I checked both the nearby cities and they do not spay feral cats for free. I think the cities are too small. I am disappointed. Thanks though!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a good idea to contact animal charities I'm in the uk and cat's protection and the RSPCA both have help available. When my brother got his girl done the cat's protection sent him a voucher to take into the vet's it covered the cost completely. Shelters may be able to point you in the right direction.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have good news everyone! Me and my family have decided to take the mom and kitten to a shelter! After looking for a while I found one that will take them. I will miss them but I known I'm giving them a better life, hopefully they will both get adopted into nice homes! Thanks everyone for all the help, it is very appreciated!