Stray Kittens

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two new stray kittens for about 5 days. They look about 4 weeks old but not for sure yet. All they do is cry. We started off giving them kitten milk but they quickly moved to soft kitten food. We try to give them attention, playing with them, talk to them, snuggle them, use laser lights, roam around the house, put them in a crib, but nothing works. They cry all day & all night long & it's becoming stressful. They puked the 3rd night, & one just took a poop right in front of us although previously used a litter box. Any advice on what to do??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K Kayley

Oh dear! How much are you feeding them? I wonder if they are hungry. Kittens often cry when they are hungry.

Have they seen a vet yet?

Please post a picture of them so I can see their age.

Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think we do feed them a lot, we give them each 1/2 of a can of food a few times a day! & no I haven't yet my cousin suggested waiting until they are a lil older but I'm thinking about taking them sooner if that's a good idea & yes I do! I attached it to the reply. Someone also mentioned maybe we weren't giving them enough attention, but when we do they still cry

Attachments

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think we do feed them a lot, we give them each 1/2 of a can of food a few times a day! & no I haven't yet my cousin suggested waiting until they are a lil older but I'm thinking about taking them sooner if that's a good idea & yes I do! I attached it to the reply. Someone also mentioned maybe we weren't giving them enough attention, but when we do they still cry
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wery sweet kittens. They seems to be 5 weeks, perhaps even 6. Kittens, alike boys, wants almost always more food. You mentioned kitten milk - what sort was it? goats milk is always a good supplement, aside fo the regular kitten food. Btw, what food are you giving? With kittens, its not enough with much proteins and calcium, but also much fats. Many brands contains too little fat. So they will feel hungry.

Laying beds of fleece, it feels as mommy fur... Not too many rooms. At this age its still enough with one. So they feel safe in there. Be sure the flat is kitten-safed... Soon they will out and conguer the world!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how precious they are! :redheartpump:

If they are not having problems, the vet visit can wait until they are 8 weeks old, when they can start their vaccines and get de-wormed.

It sounds to me like they are just settling in. Kittens this young should really still be with their mom, as they need lots of comforting.

Like a human baby, they need lots of attention until they become slightly more independent in a few weeks.

It is also not unusual for kittens this age to have potty accidents. They need their litter box close by while they are little.

Enjoy them! They grow up fast! :lovecat2:

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wery sweet kittens. They seems to be 5 weeks, perhaps even 6. Kittens, alike boys, wants almost always more food. You mentioned kitten milk - what sort was it? goats milk is always a good supplement, aside fo the regular kitten food. Btw, what food are you giving? With kittens, its not enough with much proteins and calcium, but also much fats. Many brands contains too little fat. So they will feel hungry.

Laying beds of fleece, it feels as mommy fur... Not too many rooms. At this age its still enough with one. So they feel safe in there. Be sure the flat is kitten-safed... Soon they will out and conguer the world!

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you! I feed them whiskas cat milk & fancy feast kitten. I live in an apartment so there's only one bedroom & one bathroom & kitchen/dining room but they seem to like the bedroom best, underneath the dresser. I almost think something is wrong with the white one, she will cry getting picked up, put back down, etc. they literally cry from the minute I wake up to the minute I go to bed besides sleeping & eating. So do you think we should feed them more? I will have to try the fleece blanket! Also is it to soon for a vet appointment? Thanks again! StefanZ StefanZ

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, how precious they are! :redheartpump:

If they are not having problems, the vet visit can wait until they are 8 weeks old, when they can start their vaccines and get de-wormed.

It sounds to me like they are just settling in. Kittens this young should really still be with their mom, as they need lots of comforting.

Like a human baby, they need lots of attention until they become slightly more independent in a few weeks.

It is also not unusual for kittens this age to have potty accidents. They need their litter box close by while they are little.

Enjoy them! They grow up fast! :lovecat2:

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 okay thanks so much! I think something could be wrong because the white one cries when being picked up or put back down, they cry from the minute we wake up to the minute we go to bed, it just doesn't seem right.. thanks so much!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K Kayley

If one kitten is crying non-stop then a vet visit for both is in order. Can you get them to a vet asap? The crying is not normal.

She may have a urinary tract infection or other issue that is causing her to feel unwell.

They should also have access to dry kitten chow 24/7.

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
K Kayley

If one kitten is crying non-stop then a vet visit for both is in order. Can you get them to a vet asap? The crying is not normal.

She may have a urinary tract infection or other issue that is causing her to feel unwell.

They should also have access to dry kitten chow 24/7.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K Kayley

We posted at the same time. They need to see a vet asap. The crying is not normal. Something is wrong. I posted above.

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay I will try the chow I haven't had any out since they puked their second night I thought maybe they were over fed.. & I will make an appointment tomorrow morning hopefully all will be solved, thanks so much! Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whiskas cat milk is just a treat and not nutritious. Try some actual PetAg KMR. . .at their age you can get the premade stuff in a can, very easy---just pop the top, keep it in the fridge, and put a splash of the milk in with their canned food for extra nutrition. The powdered stuff is cheaper per serving but if you need the convenience of premade the canned stuff is fine too (except for young kittens who aren't on solids yet---then the powdered stuff is better).

And try Purina ONE kitten food; I've always had good results with that, better than with regular Kitten Chow. Make sure they have a cozy warm bed, and a big stuffed animal to cuddle with. If they're still excessively whiny after eating and being warm and cozy, they probably do need to see the vet :(.

Kayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
W Willowy i had no idea, thank you I will try that! Last night was the first night I let them sleep wherever, should I put them back in the crib with the stuffed animal? I also had my t shirts in there I heard it helps them warm up.. I do plan to take them to the vet still, thanks so much!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would put them in the crib with their stuffed animal, kitten chow, water, and litter.