Stray kitten

Beriaha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today at 12:52 PM
I have a stray or abandoned kitten/cat, it's not a baby nor is ir an adult, that was in my garage, I was outside working. I live in the country with 14 1/2 acres, is why I think it's been abandoned. My husband died unexpectedly 8 months ago, and I lost my dog of 16 years 3 months ago of cancer. I have 2 cats inside
Back to the stray. Like I said I was outside working and I heard a meow I looked down and there was a cat under my car and I called and it came running to me and it's a lovey little guy, anyway I would say I'm going to keep him I just got a question I don't understand he won't go in the potty box he'll keep going outside to go potty and I don't want him to do that I'm gonna eventually bring him in the house, but I have to get him to use the potty box.
I've got an appointment with the vet today to have him checked out. So I not to make sure he doesn't pass anything on to the other 2 cats in the house.
Also how do I introduce them without them hurting him. Sending his picture
Update
I didn't post this in the right area so I am reposting.
I did take him to the vet he got checked out , has ear mites, got his vaccines, I asked about the potty box issue and the only thing she thought of was maybe the scented cat litter was the issue. Told me to try unscented cat litter

Attachments

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had brought in a kitten that was born outside. I kept him on our enclosed porch with a litter box, food and water. I wanted to keep him separated from my other cats til I took him to a vet and started to get the needed shots. But he wasn’t going in the litter box (I don’t use any scented litter). I read somewhere if you take a piece of paper towel and soak up the pee with it and place it in the litter box and cover it a little with the litter. i only needed to do that once and boom, he started using the litter box. I was amazed...
after his shots I slowing introduced him to a couple of my other cats by blocking off the stairs going up and let him roam around my living room. My other cat who was upstairs was curious to see him and she would come down part way and watch him. After a few days she actually jumped over the partition and watched. When he came over to her she ran back upstairs.
this went on for a few weeks, then the new guy learned how to jump over and would run upstairs. I’d bring him back down. That happened a few times til I decided I was tired of doing it. Took partition down and let them mingle together. They are best buddies now...but maybe this worked for me because the new guy was still a kitten, about 8-9 weeks.But definely try the paper towel suggestion.
good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beriaha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had brought in a kitten that was born outside. I kept him on our enclosed porch with a litter box, food and water. I wanted to keep him separated from my other cats til I took him to a vet and started to get the needed shots. But he wasn’t going in the litter box (I don’t use any scented litter). I read somewhere if you take a piece of paper towel and soak up the pee with it and place it in the litter box and cover it a little with the litter. i only needed to do that once and boom, he started using the litter box. I was amazed...
after his shots I slowing introduced him to a couple of my other cats by blocking off the stairs going up and let him roam around my living room. My other cat who was upstairs was curious to see him and she would come down part way and watch him. After a few days she actually jumped over the partition and watched. When he came over to her she ran back upstairs.
this went on for a few weeks, then the new guy learned how to jump over and would run upstairs. I’d bring him back down. That happened a few times til I decided I was tired of doing it. Took partition down and let them mingle together. They are best buddies now...but maybe this worked for me because the new guy was still a kitten, about 8-9 weeks.But definely try the paper towel suggestion.
good luck
Hi and thank you for the advise, my only problem with the paper towel trick how do I get his urine if he is going outside? I even put down pee pads , I believe they are suppose to attract pets to them, no, he just walks over them! I don't think he has ever played, because I gave him an extra few toys from my other 2 indoor cats and he didn't know what to do at first, then he started playing.
I was so worried after I took him to the vet that he would think I was the "bad" guy for hurting him with the shots trimming his nails etc. he was a little standoffish on the way home and even today a little. I hope he doesn't stay mad at me.
i just need to get him to use the potty box, and be able to introduce him to my other 2 cats. They are 3 years old, before cold weather.

Beriaha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless you for rescuing him! I agree with the vet that unscented litter could be the problem. It might also be that he is accustomed to going in leaves, grass and dirt.
Thank you for your reply. I will try anything. I don't want him to be outside in cold weather.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and thank you for the advise, my only problem with the paper towel trick how do I get his urine if he is going outside? I even put down pee pads , I believe they are suppose to attract pets to them, no, he just walks over them! I don't think he has ever played, because I gave him an extra few toys from my other 2 indoor cats and he didn't know what to do at first, then he started playing.
I was so worried after I took him to the vet that he would think I was the "bad" guy for hurting him with the shots trimming his nails etc. he was a little standoffish on the way home and even today a little. I hope he doesn't stay mad at me.
i just need to get him to use the potty box, and be able to introduce him to my other 2 cats. They are 3 years old, before cold weather.
Maybe I misread your first comment, I thought you had already brought him inside but separated from your other cats...that’s why I had mentioned the paper towel trick. So he is still able to go outside?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just re-read your first entry...they say cats go a lot with scent so I don’t know if this next advice would work. What if you scoop up some pee from your other cats litter and put in his box? When he comes inside, where is he? He’s probably so use of going to the bathroom outside all his life he may not know what the box is for.😲
Do you have any room/porch where you can keep him inside? I think the longer he’s left outside the harder it’s gonna be to bring him in. Are you planning on keeping him strictly as an indoor cat?

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
If it’s in your budget, most cats will take to outdoorsy, “natural” litters.

Our favorite is Okocat (blue box), it is made of wood.

The other type of litter outdoor cats take to really well is grass based litter. As far as brands for grass litter, off the top of my head I can think of So Phresh, Smart Cat, and Frisco.

Dr. Elsey’s also has a litter called “Touch of Outdoors” for these situations, although I’ve never used it personally.

All of these litters can be found on Amazon and/or Chewy, and I think So Phresh, at least, is available at Petco.

All of these litters are somewhat to very expensive too, but you mostly only need them as an initial “transition” phase, and you can start switching to a cheaper litter once they get the hang of it.

When we bring an outdoor kitty inside and they still won’t use one of these litters, we mix in potting soil, grass, leaves, etc from outside.

In worst case scenarios, we just use 100% potting soil or dirt + grass, leaves, sticks, etc. You have to change out the litter very frequently when you do this of course, but they usually figure it out quick, then we start slowly adding in more and more actual cat litter until kitty is fully transitioned.

I’ve personally never had much luck with the paper towel trick, but it’s recommended a lot and definitely worth a shot!

Thank you for taking in this homeless kitty!

Beriaha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe I misread your first comment, I thought you had already brought him inside but separated from your other cats...that’s why I had mentioned the paper towel trick. So he is still able to go outside?
Yes he is in my garage , won't go anywhere except outside. At night I leave the garage door cracked just enough for him to go outside, but truthfully I think he waits till morning when I lift it all the way up. He is so sweet I want to bring him in the house but can't till he uses the potty box.

Beriaha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it’s in your budget, most cats will take to outdoorsy, “natural” litters.

Our favorite is Okocat (blue box), it is made of wood.

The other type of litter outdoor cats take to really well is grass based litter. As far as brands for grass litter, off the top of my head I can think of So Phresh, Smart Cat, and Frisco.

Dr. Elsey’s also has a litter called “Touch of Outdoors” for these situations, although I’ve never used it personally.

All of these litters can be found on Amazon and/or Chewy, and I think So Phresh, at least, is available at Petco.

All of these litters are somewhat to very expensive too, but you mostly only need them as an initial “transition” phase, and you can start switching to a cheaper litter once they get the hang of it.

When we bring an outdoor kitty inside and they still won’t use one of these litters, we mix in potting soil, grass, leaves, etc from outside.

In worst case scenarios, we just use 100% potting soil or dirt + grass, leaves, sticks, etc. You have to change out the litter very frequently when you do this of course, but they usually figure it out quick, then we start slowly adding in more and more actual cat litter until kitty is fully transitioned.

I’ve personally never had much luck with the paper towel trick, but it’s recommended a lot and definitely worth a shot!

Thank you for taking in this homeless kitty!
Thank you so much , I am definately going to try these types of litters. I figure whatever it takes to be able to get him into the house. It's a shame he has had to fend for himself at only 8 months old. Poor little guy is so lovey, rubs and purs all the time, with the exception of getting his shots yesterday at the vet, been sleeping quite a bit since then, they said that was normal. Just keeping a check on him.

Beriaha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just re-read your first entry...they say cats go a lot with scent so I don’t know if this next advice would work. What if you scoop up some pee from your other cats litter and put in his box? When he comes inside, where is he? He’s probably so use of going to the bathroom outside all his life he may not know what the box is for.😲
Do you have any room/porch where you can keep him inside? I think the longer he’s left outside the harder it’s gonna be to bring him in. Are you planning on keeping him strictly as an indoor cat?
I did try the scoop some potty from the other two and put it in his box, then put him in the box. He smelled it then jumped out.
He is in my garage, which is attached to the house, so he's not outside except when he goes out to potty. And I leave the door open during the day and watch him, but he is content to lay on his bed .

Attachments

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
He is so lucky to have you!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also a litter called "Cat Attract". You just put one or two inches on top of your regular litter.

You might try keeping the garage door closed with the litter box situated well away from his bed/sleeping area and food and water. Given no alternative, he might use the litter box. Good luck!

And keep us posted!

Beriaha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, not sure how to post updates, but this is to inform you all, that I got Dr. Elseys kitten attract litter. He smelled it then got out. Later I was playing with him and ran the string into the litter box. He jumped in and laid in it for awhile, then out again. So last night I left the garage door open a little but I put screens across the bottom so he could get the fresh air but couldn't get out., it's so hot in there, plus I had a fan going. So this morning I noticed a little litter on the floor and looked and saw where he did use it. Thank you all so much..now to work on introducing him to my other 2....