Stray Kitten

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So recently, a friend of mine found a stray kitten in their backyard. I took her and she is the sweetest little kitten i’ve ever met. I’m thinking she’s around 3 months. She is very playful and bites and scratches me a lot. Is this ok? She hasn’t gone to the vet yet but will go in a week. She always suckles me because she was separated very early. What should I do? I’m just looking for some advice about what to do and how to raise her. And also if it’s ok that she scratches me. She seems completely healthy to me.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably didn’t have time to learn the rules from mom. Poor little one. I am so glad you saved her. Rescued kitties become our best friends and completely devoted. Give her love and you get it back doubled.
Biting and scratching is something she would do as she leaned to play and hunt as a youngster. Using a wand toy is a good way to encourage appropriate play. Playing chase with your hands could set a bad precedent. Hands are not prey. She just needs to learn so don’t use your hands as playthings. Try to show her to bite toys instead. If she bites then stick a toy between you and her mouth. Toss a toy and keep her actively playing to use up that kitten energy. If she had another kitten there, they would learn in each other where the boundaries are. I don’t know if a playmate is an option but she might find that very helpful.
Suckling often happens when the leave mom too soon. I have grown cats that still find that soothing. Suckling is about more than feeding. It is also binding and feeling secure. It sotthes the baby. My cats find things that have texture like a stuffed toy or terry cloth towel to suck on. One will actually suck on my arm. Just hold kitty and give lots of reassurance when the suckling is happening. That kitten really needs you so thank you so much for giving her a safe and loving home. Scratches from anything should be washed and kept clean. I assume the bites are little nibbles or little needle bites. A deep bite is very different and should be addressed but for the most part, just watch the area unless it turns hot or red streaks run down your arm. Not common but mostly would happen from a large cat. I’ve had many hundreds of kitten scratches and bites and none were a concern. This is a good reason to curb biting play with toys though. Teach kitten to hunt toys, not hands or toes. Lol
Do keep us posted please! Any photos of the kitten? We love kitty photos. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! She is doing very well right now, very happy, playful, and cuddly. Her name is Lily. Here’s a picture of her :)
ED0F8716-38E5-4BC5-9A8F-47AA18A37280.jpeg
F8F2B201-99DB-43CA-9292-439D72A985FD.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a 10 year old rescue, rescued as a small kitten, who still suckles certain fabrics as she kneads them with her paws. Your kitty is so sweet looking and seems as if she knows that she has been rescued and saved.

The biting and scratching is because she did not have enough time with littermates and her mom to learn the rules. Just kindly discourage it and don't play into it. One of mine was the same way and we actually had to wear rose pruning gloves at certain times when he was small. Oddly, I recently brought two ferals into the house who stayed with their mom and siblings for their entire kittenhood and neither of them even starts to try to bite and scratch but engage in kitten play with each other instead.

I have also had lots of scratches and bites from cats, including some deep ones, all of which have healed....but you have to use good hygiene immediately and try to discourage the behavior. A deep enough bite would probably be painful and might become infected but most scratches can be handled at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! This was so helpful and i know what to expect now. Your cats seem so sweet!