stray kitten needs help

kemichael74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a litter of kittens that were born back in May. Mom was a fantastic mommy but now at almost 16-17 weeks old the kittens are more like teenagers. We kept a white female who got really attached to my daughter and her to it as well. She will get her shots and the whole package in September. It's the soonest they could get us in. Mom has left now but the little ones remain and are totally dependent on us for food and water. We're trying to get them homes. There is one kitten though that is not well. We noticed about 4 weeks ago that every time after she eats about 30-60 mins later she is frantically gagging and making weird body movements the whole time. She also has foamy/milky liquid coming out of mouth. Almost like convulsions or something. This will take place sometimes up to an hour. we thought she was choking on kibble but noticed she was having same reaction when she nursed with just milk. She is very thin now and i think on her way to being malnourished. I've googled what's happening with her and can't seem to find anything. They are strays but none of the other kittens suffer from this nor does the mom. they are very well groomed and not some nasty little dump yard kittens you'd find in the city. They are precious. you can't touch mom but the kittens have gotten used to us and you can hold them now and they enjoy it. Could this little female that is gagging have worms or something. wouldl they do that? we have an indoor cat already plus the one we just adopted so i can't save all these and i can not provide vet care for this one that is suffering from what i don't know. It is heart breaking. is there something i can do aside from euthanizing the poor little thing?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a vet office or clinic you could call that might give you an idea what’s happening with the one kitten? The poor little thing, so helpless.
Have you looked up symptoms of rabies, distemper, worms?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kemichael74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have google rabies. she does not fit most of the descriptions and we've never found wounds on her from any possible rabid bite. She is kind of fitting the "worms" description. Might also fit into the Leukemia category though i have not checked her gums or mouth for the typical yellow color that occurs with that. i have no idea what her feces looks like i don't know where they are going. I think i'm going to try to deworm her. she is getting very thin but has an appetite. she does not always do this behavior after eating but it is pretty often. Poor little thing is constant gagging and spitting up so much she can hardly catch her breath. she does not throw up solids either. it's like white liquid. like constant dry heaving. we have a vet we take our pets to but they are very unwilling to answer questions and always say you have to bring it in.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have google rabies. she does not fit most of the descriptions and we've never found wounds on her from any possible rabid bite. She is kind of fitting the "worms" description. Might also fit into the Leukemia category though i have not checked her gums or mouth for the typical yellow color that occurs with that. i have no idea what her feces looks like i don't know where they are going. I think i'm going to try to deworm her. she is getting very thin but has an appetite. she does not always do this behavior after eating but it is pretty often. Poor little thing is constant gagging and spitting up so much she can hardly catch her breath. she does not throw up solids either. it's like white liquid. like constant dry heaving. we have a vet we take our pets to but they are very unwilling to answer questions and always say you have to bring it in.
I can’t believe a lot of vets, most are only interested in $$$. The same thing has happened to me when I’ve had a question and called the vet. They want you to bring them in. When I took 2 kittens to vet they were only in the office for about 15 minutes and I got charged $120
Most kittens are dewormed when they’re young and get 2 boosters. I believe you can buy it at Pet Stores. It’s worth a try if she’ll let you pick her up. I have the 2 kittens separated from other cats til they’re gone. When vet told me they have worms they asked if they were vomiting or had diarrhe. They weren’t doing either but we’re on the thin side. One seems to eat more and sleeps more. I don’t know what the white liquid would be, but I’d also try another vet and see if you’ll get a “compassionate“ one.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t know how things are like in your area because of the virus thing but there might be some pet stores that have a vet coming to stores once a month that give shots/deworming that’s might be able to help and are a lot cheaper than vet offices. That’s where most all my cats have gone.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Are there any cat rescue groups in the area that you can talk to? Make it clear that you don't want them to take the kittens as a lot of rescue is really shut down right now, but that you need some advice about one kitten. Some rescuers are very knowledgeable about cat health.

The only other thing I can suggest is a one way consult with a vet for whatever the office fee is....around here it is usually about $50 to walk in. If the vet will really try to give you some good information and not just dangle the "we need to run a bunch of tests" card, you might at least find out what to do for this one and if it is something untreatable.