Stray Kitten Is Very Scared And Jumpy; I'm Scared I Won't Find Her Again

Vivi18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She isn't more than 5 months old and I've been taking care of her for about 2 months. She's very sweet to me and usually follows me around. However, she's very scared of other people and even other cats. She also hates the rain. Yesterday she ran farther from our apartment block. She can go inside and she has a little bed to sleep in outside + food. I can also take her upstairs if the weather is particularly nasty. After a lot of yelling and searching I found her and she followed me back. Today I woke up quite late (exhaustion from period cramps and insomnia) around 4 PM. I went to look for her and I found her even farther away from the last place. I'm scared someone or something will hurt her. She came back with me and ate a little bit, but now is hiding under a car and refuses to come out. It's raining a lot and I hear thunder. She won't come inside for some reason. I can't stay outside for hours waiting for her so I just put some food down and let the door open.

I also took care of a black, beautiful male cat for about a month as well. I found it dead close to my place. It hurt a lot because I managed to treat his sickness and was gaining weight. His fur was looking so much better. A car most likely hit it. It's infuriating because this is not a high traffic area and anyone could see a cat passing out small roads. I'm inclined to say it was deliberate or some drunk asshole did it. I buried him in our patch of soil that will soon have flowers in it.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly worried. I can't monitor it all day long or go searching for it whenever it goes farther from here. How do I create a safer space for her here? She must feel unsafe if she keeps going somewhere else. I really don't want her to disappear or wind up dead.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is possible that she was impregnated by another cat in the area and is reacting to that. Or, possibly scared due to a confrontation with another stray. My neighbor had a stray that was very scared at first but became pretty friendly and hung around in her yard for months. Long story short, she couldn't be immediately trapped and cared for inside - which turned out to be a mistake, as she did become pregnant. And, in looking back at the time line, there were a few days she was behaving strangely and we think that might be when she got pregnant.

There is no way to create a safe space for her outside. As long as she can roam, or has to run from other animals/cats, she can't be protected/safe. It would be best once you can get her to come to you that you move her inside and not let her out again. If you have a bathroom, or extra room in your place, you can set up her home in there - with her bed, food/water, litter box - and begin to socialize her and get her used to being an indoor cat.

If you can't take her in, you seriously need to consider calling local rescue centers, no-kill shelters, SPCA, vet offices/clinics, pet stores, etc. to see what contacts they might have for you in order to get her cared for.

If she is not pregnant you are lucky - but whether or not she is, after what you experienced with the black male cat you took care of, I don't need to tell you why it is important to get her off the streets. It would be in her best interest to have her spayed as soon as possible.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vivi18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It is possible that she was impregnated by another cat in the area and is reacting to that. Or, possibly scared due to a confrontation with another stray. My neighbor had a stray that was very scared at first but became pretty friendly and hung around in her yard for months. Long story short, she couldn't be immediately trapped and cared for inside - which turned out to be a mistake, as she did become pregnant. And, in looking back at the time line, there were a few days she was behaving strangely and we think that might be when she got pregnant.

There is no way to create a safe space for her outside. As long as she can roam, or has to run from other animals/cats, she can't be protected/safe. It would be best once you can get her to come to you that you move her inside and not let her out again. If you have a bathroom, or extra room in your place, you can set up her home in there - with her bed, food/water, litter box - and begin to socialize her and get her used to being an indoor cat.

If you can't take her in, you seriously need to consider calling local rescue centers, no-kill shelters, SPCA, vet offices/clinics, pet stores, etc. to see what contacts they might have for you in order to get her cared for.

If she is not pregnant you are lucky - but whether or not she is, after what you experienced with the black male cat you took care of, I don't need to tell you why it is important to get her off the streets. It would be in her best interest to have her spayed as soon as possible.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
Thank you. I'm not 100% sure she's female, but that's what I think for now. I'll check again I guess. That's an interesting guess.
I can't get her inside because I still live with my parents and I have another cat. I can't begin introducing the 2 while juggling angry parents and upcoming exams. That is why I need a temporary solution to this.
Also, I'm not from the USA. We don't have shelters for cats and vets aren't usually interested in stray cats. No TNR programs either. I can't afford to spay her with my money as it's quite expensive.
As I've said, she only behaves normally with me. I think nobody would want her as she is now, as sad as that sounds, because she hisses and runs if somebody else tries to touch her or get too close to her. Just a few days ago has she begun letting me pet her. It was a process. That's why I think I have to make sure she stays in place for now and is relatively protected. Until she gets more used to humans, there is no way anyone else is getting her. I think I could take her with me in a few months though when I'll go to college. But I need something now.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep begging your parents. If the cats female she is ready to mate. Then there would also be kittens to take care of

Vivi18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep begging your parents. If the cats female she is ready to mate. Then there would also be kittens to take care of
My parents absolutely don't want another cat. Also, this one is pretty much feral. As of today it cries and wants out even out of the apartment building. With food next to it. It still follows me outside but is more reserved and refuses to come upstairs to my door(it used to come).I went outside in the rain and found it closer this time. I tried locking it in the building with food and whatever it needs but she got extremely agitated so I let her go. She kept crying. I put her stuff outside relatively safe from the mild rain, but it went under a car and refused to come out. It hissed at me when I tried to pick it up to move it upstairs. I'm saying "it" because I'm still not sure if Male or female. Most likely female though.

I also 100% caught a cold. Great day.

Any advice?
This is so frustrating. I feel like no matter what I do this cat keeps distancing itself from me for no reason. My guess is that she's very upset because of the weather because it's been raining pretty much nonstop. We have extreme weather risk for a few days straight, so this also worries me. We have a risk for tornadoes right now, which is also highly unusual for my country. Had one last week close to my city and it was giant. I guess I'm rambling now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What are your options about building some sort of cat shelter up against the outside of the apartment building? Would the owners object? I am just guessing about what to suggest, as I have no idea how the apartment building is set up and whether or not if you created a 'cat house' inside the apartment building if the door could be left open for her to come and go.

If set up outside, it could be as simple as a wire crate set on a wood pallet (so that it is elevated off the wet ground) - with a plastic tarp affixed to the sides, top, and ideally even the bottom. Some crates have a solid plastic bottom which would be a bit more comfortable. Or, perhaps a wood structure put together with 1 x 4 boards - also elevated a bit off the ground - also with a plastic tarp affixed to the sides, top, and bottom. And, you could use blankets/towels on the floor of the crate for comfort.

If the opening can be set up near the wall, then it would provide some protection from the weather. Or, you could even create a little overhang to the opening to help keep out the elements.

Just throwing some possibilities out there in the hopes that it might spark some ideas for you.

Vivi18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are your options about building some sort of cat shelter up against the outside of the apartment building? Would the owners object? I am just guessing about what to suggest, as I have no idea how the apartment building is set up and whether or not if you created a 'cat house' inside the apartment building if the door could be left open for her to come and go.

If set up outside, it could be as simple as a wire crate set on a wood pallet (so that it is elevated off the wet ground) - with a plastic tarp affixed to the sides, top, and ideally even the bottom. Some crates have a solid plastic bottom which would be a bit more comfortable. Or, perhaps a wood structure put together with 1 x 4 boards - also elevated a bit off the ground - also with a plastic tarp affixed to the sides, top, and bottom. And, you could use blankets/towels on the floor of the crate for comfort.

If the opening can be set up near the wall, then it would provide some protection from the weather. Or, you could even create a little overhang to the opening to help keep out the elements.

Just throwing some possibilities out there in the hopes that it might spark some ideas for you.
Thanks! This is a good idea. I think I'll try something like this tomorrow.

Vivi18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep us posted!
Bad news. It's a very high possibility she's pregnant. Ugh. What do I do? She's back to normal though and stays very close to us.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What makes you think she is pregnant?

If you can't take her in, I hope you have a friend or relative who might be interested in 'adopting' her even if she is pregnant. If that were possible, then you would need to start having that person spend time with you so she can become comfortable with them before they would take her - and she delivers the babies, assuming she is in fact pregnant. A lot of pregnant cats tend to become more friendly during their gestation, and many stay that way even after delivery.

I would still call around to vets' offices and see if they know of any programs to take in strays that you might not be aware of. You also might give us an idea where you are located, in case other members live in your country/area and might have some suggestions applicable to where you are.

You are going to have to come up with a permanent solution, or this cat will have babies, the babies will have babies, she will get pregnant again, and so on, etc. That is assuming any/all of them aren't killed by animals or traffic.

Vivi18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What makes you think she is pregnant?

If you can't take her in, I hope you have a friend or relative who might be interested in 'adopting' her even if she is pregnant. If that were possible, then you would need to start having that person spend time with you so she can become comfortable with them before they would take her - and she delivers the babies, assuming she is in fact pregnant. A lot of pregnant cats tend to become more friendly during their gestation, and many stay that way even after delivery.

I would still call around to vets' offices and see if they know of any programs to take in strays that you might not be aware of. You also might give us an idea where you are located, in case other members live in your country/area and might have some suggestions applicable to where you are.

You are going to have to come up with a permanent solution, or this cat will have babies, the babies will have babies, she will get pregnant again, and so on, etc. That is assuming any/all of them aren't killed by animals or traffic.
Romania. As I said, little to no options but I will ask again, just in case anything comes up.
I think she's pregnant because her belly has got significantly bigger and is firm. She couldn't have become fat in the time I've been feeding her and she is not spayed. There are no free neutering programs in my city now, so even if I could've caught her, I wouldn't have been able to pay for it. There's nothing for cats. Only a sad, abusive place for stray dogs.

I don't know who would take her. I had similar situations in the past with kittens around my high school and nobody wanted them. Kittens. Nobody will take in a stray, fearful, pregnant cat. I don't want to dump her kittens in someone's backyard or anything like that because I know many people would just kill them or throw them into the garbage. I'm really not sure what I can do for them after they're 1-2 months old. I will ask around more, at least for her kittens and I can figure her situation out by myself.

I need to make her as comfortable as possible without stressing her out. Leaving her into the apartment building is stressing her out, probably the echoes and the footsteps of my neighbours going up/down the stairs. She's ok sleeping next to the entrance door in her little bed, but there are 2 cats that she heavily dislikes that come around and she isn't safe from them. They don't beat her up, but she still hisses and provokes them.
In the last few days she's taken a liking to my father and meows at him as well. Today she let me touch her belly which is huge for a cat like her. She is indeed a bit more loving, but still very scared of other people.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked online cat shelters Romania. There are many options. If you do not have a computer ask someone else

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She must have been pregnant for a while now then. Gestation for cats run around 60+ days. From what little I know, cats really don't start showing much until they are pretty close to delivery - maybe 2 weeks or so?

Maybe she will appeal to your dad's compassionate side?

I am desperately looking for some organization that you might be able to contact that could direct you to other related groups. Is this organization seem legitimate to you?
Romania Animal Rescue, Inc. dba Animal Spay/Neuter International | Saving animal lives since 2003

Or this? Welcome to the website of the Animal Foundation Platform - Stray AFP EN

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Search Modes

ALL
SHOPPING
MAPS
IMAGES
VIDEOS
NEWS
BOOKS
FLIGHTS
Web results
Romania Animal Rescue, Inc. dba Animal Spay/Neuter International | Saving animal lives since 2003
Romania Animal Rescue

PEOPLE ALSO SEARCH FOR
romania animal
rescue facebook

kittens from
romania

centre of
hope romania

adopting a cat
from abroad

adopt a dog
bucharest

veterinary
training camp

red panda
romania

Adopt a Friend | Romania Animal Rescue, Inc. dba Animal Spay/Neuter International
Romania Animal Rescue › adopt-friend
upload_2019-5-11_14-18-28.jpeg

Homeless animals need a familyAdopting a dog or cat from Romania is easy when working with one of Romania's Animal Rescue recommended local charities. These are rescue shelters whom we have worked with and ...

Animal Care | Romania Animal Rescue, Inc. dba Animal Spay/Neuter International
Romania Animal Rescue › animal-care

Homeless Animal Hospital (HAH) was established to compliment our spay/neuter efforts. The hospital's critical work, with your support, enables our vet team to provide free veterinary care to dogs and cats that are strays ...
Stray Animal Care Romania - Help for strays - Topics - Campaigns & Topics - FOUR PAWS US
https://www.four-paws.us › stray-animal-...

Stray dogs and cats are part of everyday life especially in the urban centres of poorer countries. ... clinic, in 2016 we opened a stationary facility at out partner animal shelter Speranta in the Romanian capital, Bucharest.
Romania Animal Rescue, Inc Dba Animal Spay Neuter International - Home | Facebook
Facebook › ... › Pet Service

Romania Animal Rescue, Inc Dba Animal Spay Neuter International, Livermore, California. 28235 likes · 1114 talking about this · 11 were here. RAR/ASNI...
Promise for Shelter Dogs Romania - Home | Facebook
Facebook › Pages › Other › Community

Promise for Shelter Dogs Romania · Yesterday at 3:00 PM ·. Prince is one of the at risk dogs. Please don't let him go back to the public shelter. He is around 3 years old, friendly with dogs, humans and cats!
SPCAI :: Dog Rescue Romania
SPCA International › shelter-list › dog-re...

In May 2013, a veterinarian in Bucharest, Romania decided to open a small shelter for approximately 50 animals. Seeing the need to help the starving and abused strays, the intention was to help those with critical ...

They look cute, but should we rescue Romania's street dogs? | Global | The Guardian
The Guardian › global › jan › they-look-...

Jan 8, 2019 · Tommy Lee and Eskimo Joe are from Romania, and are dogs. Rescue animals, hoping (if dogs can hope) to be adopted. Tommy Lee is missing a front leg – most probably from a traffic ...

Romania Animal Rescue ― Dogs, Cats & More ― RescueMe.Org
RescueMe.Org › animal › ro

"Click here to view animals for adoption in Romania. Shelters & individuals can post animals free." ― ♥ RESCUE ME! ♥ ۬.
A Visit to Romanian Dog Shelters — Vegan Burger Tour
https://veganburgertour.com › romanian...

Jul 31, 2017 · Veera is a volunteer with Kulkurit, a Finnish Rescue Association Hobo Dogs, which co- operates with local animal protectors in Romania. She knows how to spot the animals hiding and notices if a trash ...
Ads
  1. Romania Animal Shelter | Browse Top Pet Results Here
    Adwww.pets.world/

Search for Romania Animal Shelter. Look Up Quick Results Now!
  2. Shop Cat Shelter on Amazon | Low Prices for Cat Shelter
    Adwww.amazon.com/

Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Free 2-Day Shipping w/Amazon Prime. Explore Amazon Devices. Shop Best Sellers & Deals. Fast Shipping. Try Prime for Free. Shop Our Huge Selection. Save with Our Low Prices. Read Ratings & Reviews.
    Rating for amazon.com
    ") 0px 0px / 13px 15px repeat-x; font-size: 0px;">") 0px 0px / 13px 15px repeat-x;">
    Amazon Home & Kitchen
    Meet the Fire TV Family
    Amazon Prime Benefits
    Shop Amazon Fire Tablets
    Explore Amazon Smart Home
    Amazon Fashion
    Shop Kindle E-readers
    Shop Echo & Alexa Devices

3. 10 Best Cat Shelters 2019 | See May 2019 Top Picks
    Adwww.bestreviews.guide/Best/Cat_Shelters

We've Found the Top Cat Shelters.Compare & Choose From the Best .Buy Now! 1-2 Day Shipping. Buy The Best. Products of Tomorrow. Best Prices Online. Extra Value. Find The Best.
    Rating for bestreviews.guide
    ") 0px 0px / 13px 15px repeat-x; font-size: 0px;">") 0px 0px / 13px 15px repeat-x;">
    (172)
    Beach Shelters Reviews
    Shelterlogic Car Covers
    Sun Shelters Reviews
    Car Shelters Reviews

Page Navigation

More results
RELATED SEARCHES
romanian stray cats
romanian stray dog rescue
romania animal rescue facebook
dogs for adoption
international dog rescue
romanian cat breeds
animal rescue crew
romanian dog rescue usa
Footer Links

77070, Texas - From your device - Use precise location - Learn more
Sign in
SettingsHelpFeedback
PrivacyTerms

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 - yep - of those links above that are NOT dog specific, they all go back to the two links I provided to Vivi18 Vivi18 that actually claim they address cat issues. Apparently, from what I can gather, cats have not gotten the attention that dogs have yet - and even that is pretty slim pickings.

Hopefully, one of those two organizations will have something to help.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Never hurts to try. Plus if you call shelters they will give you other suggestions. There's a link for stray cats to also check out

Vivi18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never hurts to try. Plus if you call shelters they will give you other suggestions. There's a link for stray cats to also check out
Read both of your guys' replies.
I'm sure it never crossed your mind that proximity is a problem? If I can't afford to have her spayed,I can't afford to travel the country for this. I'm getting a little defensive as I found it rude that you thought you'd know better than me about the situation here with a mere Google search. Also, most of the dog ones are overcrowded and not well funded, so there's no way in hell they'll accept cats. I asked our local shitty one and they just said they can't help me.

All the links offered are dog-centered.