Stray in Wal-Mart parking lot

carrielynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw a kitten around 3 months old in the Wal-Mart parking lot at midnight. He/she looked just like my own semi-feral, black domestic longhair with white feet. I wanted so much to catch this cat, bring it home, and at least find a home for it if I don't keep it myself. I even had the cat food and pet carrier I keep in my trunk for situations like this, but this cat just didn't want to be caught. He/she kept meowing at me and recognized me as a food source, would walk up to me, but was always too quick for me to scoop up. The cat also refused to walk into the carrier even with the food inside (it was very hungry). I've caught elusive cats before, but this one just wouldn't have it. I feel so bad I didn't get to take it home with me. I wouldn't have even thought I had a chance if it wouldn't have meowed at me so much. Is there anything I could have done differently? I feel like I need to go back, but it's such a high traffic area and I'll probably never see the cat again.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You did apparently a very good try...

Did you talked a lot in a soft voice??  This is sometimes the trick...

Not looking directly, but a little aside. 

Or looking on with half closed eyes.  Some yawing and stretching yourself standing on all four.  Like friendly cats do.

Otherwise, the best advice is to try next evening too.  With any luck you will get new chance, and now you are somewhat known, and even more recognized as friendly...

If something bad already did happened - well, unluck.

Tx a lot for caring!  *hugs*

Good luck!  *vibes*

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:eek:hno: I am the same way if I see a stray cat/kitten. AWWW You were so sweet to try to save this little one :hugs::hugs::hugs:. I know it hurt's your heart when you don't succeed. :hugs: How very upsetting too, as I wonder if somebody dumped the kitten there. I think I would try to go back again and check or let the Walmart staff know about this kitten or make a call to the local animal control. Animal Control does not put all animal's to sleep they catch - as some people think. Especially a little kitten like that - would most likely be quite adoptable. Poor baby probably wanted so badly for you to help her/him but was just so scared and backed off at the last minute as you reached for him/her.

There is not much you could have done differently. The crate, the food and being sweet and loving is all you could have done under those circumstances. I guess if you can, go back and check. Who know - maybe some other cat lover was able to rescue that kitten :cross: We can hope :nod: Let us know if you see the kitten again. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrielynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I hated driving home without it.

I will be back a few more nights this week and will keep an eye out. I posted an ad on Craigslist about it in the unlikely event it belongs to somebody and also about a dog with a collar I saw running around the parking lot that same night. I hope somebody didn't just dump their animals.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:alright: I know, that must have been hard. You are doing what you can though :hugs:. Oh dear, not a dog too. I hope that was not the case either, abandonment...... :mad: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: