Stray in front yard

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a couple of bricks or flat pieces of wood and put the bowls on these off the ground.That should do the trick for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
Take a couple of bricks or flat pieces of wood and put the bowls on these off the ground.That should do the trick for you.
It's already on a couple smaller bricks... maybe I'll put some wood under so the kitties can get it but the bugs can't.
Thanks.

catspride

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In any case, insects make up a certain amount of any outdoor cat's diet (and indoor cat's as well when they can catch a fly or cockroach). Since the cats are cleaning out the bowls every day, they are also probably relishing the extra protein. Divorce yourself from Western human biases about food. There are many PEOPLE in other countries who each insects of all kinds, including things like worms and larvae. Personally my stomach is as biased against the thought as any other westerner, but I have acquaintances who think that adding crip-fried ants to their rice dish just before serving is especially good, and a very great delicacy in Egypt is a larva that tastes like chicken when cooked.

The major problem is to keep the feeding bowls away from an obvious track into the house, and to spray against creepy-crawlies at doorways. That usually discourages your bugs from trying to come in with the cats to enjoy the additional food treats offered in a home (fibers, glues, books, floorboards, carboard or paper packets of food...). Of course I know you would keep in mind that cats can't manage too much insecticide, and you won't, of course, use any that are strictly off-limits to pets.

Insects are something that most folk in Israel are battling every day year-round. It always seems to be some insect's favorite growing season. It is actually a hardship for me sometimes, because the most effective garden sprays against ticks and fleas is OK for dogs but poisonous for cats. Disinfecting an area is also difficult, since you have to be very careful not to use more than a little chlorine and amonia in mop or cleaning water if cats are living in the house. I always run any new ideas about cleaning or spraying products or ingredients and proportions by my vets before I try them out.

Happiness for my cats catching (and eating) a grasshopper...