Stray has chronic bloody diarrhea

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A stray I care for (abandoned outdoor pet) has been having bloody diarrhea for months. The blood comes out in liquid and small clots, and sticky yellowish fluid comes out with it. He is very plump but has breathing trouble on top of this. For now I cannot afford to vet him, so I'm looking for anything to try and help over the counter and what this could be.

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is absolutely nothing over the counter that you can get for this poor cat. He needs to see a vet immediately or he will die an agonizing death. I am sorry if this sounds harsh but if you care for this cat, he has to go to a vet, today.

lawrencb22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like this kitty needs some antibiotics and a vet visit. Try and find a low cost clinic that might help, or contact a feral cat group. They might be able to cover some of the costs.
This kitty needs some medical attention, if It's impossible to get him help just try and make him as comfortable as possible, you might need to make the tough decision to humanely euthanize if you are not able to provide proper vet care for him
I'm sorry :/

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You absolutely MUST get him to the vet asap. This cannot be treated at home, and he's probably in a lot of pain.

If money is a real issue, these articles have some ideas [article="32915"][/article][article="29706"][/article]
I'm very sorry to say this, but it sounds as though things may have already progressed to the point where euthanasia is the best option. I know this is always the hardest and most painful decision to make, but sometimes it's necessary - especially with a semi feral or stray cat. Usually in those cases, once they're at the point where we'd make that decision for an indoor cat, they go into hiding and so are left to die a slow and painful death. It's very common to call it a little sooner in these animals to prevent this from happening.

My heart goes out to you, and I really hope I'm wrong on this point :hugs::vibes:

Last edited: