Stray/feral cat socialization with hissing and swatting

Bettyilene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New to the forum...My husband and I have been feeding a stray backyard cat since mid January. For months, he'd eat the food, appearing by our deck door in the early morning. After he ate, he would just leave with no interaction. I was often greeted with a hiss...it was a long time before I heard him meow. At the end of April, we trapped him so Animal services could neuter him, give him shots and a flea treatment. In the last 2 weeks, he's now head butting me and today sat in my lap for over 10 minutes. I have to stay stock still...if I try to pet him, he will hiss and swat at me, even if he's rubbing against my hand and face.. I know its going to take longer to socialize him, but was wondering if there's anything I can do to counter the hissing and swatting now. We figure he's been a stray for probably 4 years, so has some feral traits.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Try having some treats available in your hand when he comes up to sit in your lap. Keep your hand below his head level and initially a bit away from his face. Let him rub against your hand and then slowly open your hand to expose the treats. Not saying it will work the first time, or even the second, although I hope it will. If and when you can establish a treat feeding routine, he will learn to better trust your hand movements.

Also, make sure he sees you are the one who is providing food to him, even if that means you add a bit more to what you have left out for him when he shows up and can see you do so.

There are some cats who have to be approached a certain way before they can accept petting; never reach over him to pet him and certainly don't try to start with any area on his body where he can't see your hand. If he accepts the treats, after a while you might be able to 'sneak' in a scritch or two of his chin or on a cheek. It might amount to just a brief touch at first.

The fact that he is rubbing against your hand and face like that is a very positive sign that he wants to trust you but is just not quite ready and is obviously not used to reciprocation - and he may not entirely even understand it. But, over time I think he will 'get it'.

Keep us posted and hopefully we will hear some progress, which at that point more tips can be suggested as to how to continue to get him used to being touched and petted.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It hasn't been that long really, so you might just be surprised at what happens next. Some 'steps' take longer than others. I think he will come around, and with any luck, quicker than you might think. But please do keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bettyilene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It hasn't been that long really, so you might just be surprised at what happens next. Some 'steps' take longer than others. I think he will come around, and with any luck, quicker than you might think. But please do keep us posted!
Agreed, his transformation only truly began last Sunday! He would like me to stay outside with him sitting on my lap, at this point...he was on my lap at least 2 hours throughout the day today. I've been able to scratch him behind his ears when he's on my lap, for the first time tonight, and I think I briefly heard a purr. He really is affectionate.

Thinking of the transition to him possibly coming inside. Unknowns:.will he use a litter box, will he spray, will he continue to hiss and swat? As I said,, he loves sitting on my lap, and does not like me to terminate it, and hisses when I dislodge him and will swat me. I now know what a hissy fit is. :-) I will admit, its tough to close the door (deck door, so glass) on him, but I know he's not ready for the move in. I put a litter box outside on the deck this morning...didn't go near it.

Thanks for the support..as you might be able to tell, this is a first for me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He will more than likely hiss and swat when you do bring him inside - but I would think that would be pretty temporary, at least in terms of any escalation. He obviously wants your company and attention, so that should help.

As far as the litter box, try taking some of the soil/dirt that he is used to and placing that in a litter box. If you see where he pees and poops you can add some of that to the litter box too. It lets him know what the litter box is for then. Might not use it at first, but will at least recognize its purpose when you move him inside.

If you don't see him spraying outside now, there isn't any real reason to think he would so do once inside. But, sure, it could be a possibility, although it is less likely now that he is neutered.

Maybe some information in these articles might help you prepare.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
13 Practical Ways to Kitten-Proof Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite

Bettyilene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He will more than likely hiss and swat when you do bring him inside - but I would think that would be pretty temporary, at least in terms of any escalation. He obviously wants your company and attention, so that should help.

As far as the litter box, try taking some of the soil/dirt that he is used to and placing that in a litter box. If you see where he pees and poops you can add some of that to the litter box too. It lets him know what the litter box is for then. Might not use it at first, but will at least recognize its purpose when you move him inside.

If you don't see him spraying outside now, there isn't any real reason to think he would so do once inside. But, sure, it could be a possibility, although it is less likely now that he is neutered.

Thanks again!
Hi - 2 week update. Charlie has moved from the back of the yard to living on our deck, and has even stepped foot into the house (doesn't stay). As we're going away for a few days at the end of July (already arranged for him to be fed), not going to attempt moving him into the house until after we return. The biggest issue right now for us is the biting and swatting at our legs - he walks by our legs, and rubs against them, as well as head butting, which seems affectionate. But, if you start to move, he'll hiss and attack your leg/foot; and sometimes even if you don't. My reactions when that happens is to say NO in a different voice than I usually use with him, and move back into the house. If he's on my lap, he gets dumped; and I'm not sure what triggers him since we're usually sitting comfortably. I've taken to wearing leather gloves for most of those sessions to protect my hands. Remember, he's a 4-5 year old cat that has been living rough for years, and it's only been 2 weeks since he decided to 'adopt' us. What strategies can you suggest? I don't want to accidentally make things worse by my actions and also wonder how long this part of his socialization will take (might take longer than I like.) I've attached a pic of him relaxing on my lap last night. Thanks!~
20230617_191447.jpg

Bettyilene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - Thanks for reaching out. Many updates, and all positive. Charlie has made so much progress in less than 3 months after he decided he would interact with us more. We started inviting him inside when it reached triple digits here in Concord, CA, and he was initially cautious and tentative - that was probably sometime in June or July. Once he felt more comfortable, he came inside every day, and was learning his way around but still sleeping outside at night because he had to show us he would use a litter box. And, that milestone was reached in early August. Fast forward to today - he spends most of his time inside now and sleeps on my bed for part of the night and has perfect toilet habits. I believe he realizes he can sleep without fear now, and that he has a ready food source. He's proven to be a fun, curious cat, and we've definitely adopted each other. There's still an occasional swat at my legs, but that's lessening as time progresses. In fact, we're going for our first vet visit on Monday. I've attached a recent picture - he loves sleeping flat on his back, and he looks likes he ready to become a mummy in this one.

Thanks again for asking.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - Thanks for reaching out. Many updates, and all positive. Charlie has made so much progress in less than 3 months after he decided he would interact with us more. We started inviting him inside when it reached triple digits here in Concord, CA, and he was initially cautious and tentative - that was probably sometime in June or July. Once he felt more comfortable, he came inside every day, and was learning his way around but still sleeping outside at night because he had to show us he would use a litter box. And, that milestone was reached in early August. Fast forward to today - he spends most of his time inside now and sleeps on my bed for part of the night and has perfect toilet habits. I believe he realizes he can sleep without fear now, and that he has a ready food source. He's proven to be a fun, curious cat, and we've definitely adopted each other. There's still an occasional swat at my legs, but that's lessening as time progresses. In fact, we're going for our first vet visit on Monday. I've attached a recent picture - he loves sleeping flat on his back, and he looks likes he ready to become a mummy in this one.

Thanks again for asking.
You truly are amazing. You took time patiently waiting for him and the payoff is amazing. He is able to live a life relaxed and loved which is awesome! Thank you for giving him a chance honestly it really didn't take that long considering he has been out on his own for years not being able to trust anything.. the progress is just incredible. He clearly seems comfortable sleeping belly up. From January until now Charlie truly has blossomed.
Let us know how his vet appointment goes.
Again thank you for all you've done to make his life better.

Bettyilene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You truly are amazing. You took time patiently waiting for him and the payoff is amazing. He is able to live a life relaxed and loved which is awesome! Thank you for giving him a chance honestly it really didn't take that long considering he has been out on his own for years not being able to trust anything.. the progress is just incredible. He clearly seems comfortable sleeping belly up. From January until now Charlie truly has blossomed.
Let us know how his vet appointment goes.
Again thank you for all you've done to make his life better.
The vet visit went very well. We had no problem putting him the carrier, and he didn't complain at all - not even a meow or a hiss. When the vet opened the carrier (one of those soft sided ones that open at the top), he poked his head out and looked around with curiosity, not fear. He allowed them to give him a shot, give him a deworming treatment, but politely declined to have them trim his nails. He's a healthy, 13.5 lb, 5 year old!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet visit went very well. We had no problem putting him the carrier, and he didn't complain at all - not even a meow or a hiss. When the vet opened the carrier (one of those soft sided ones that open at the top), he poked his head out and looked around with curiosity, not fear. He allowed them to give him a shot, give him a deworming treatment, but politely declined to have them trim his nails. He's a healthy, 13.5 lb, 5 year old!
This is wonderful to hear!!! Thank you so much for this amazing update!
He is going to have a life full of adventure in a home full of love. That is the best most amazing part. Thank you again so much for being there for Charlie. He is going to have a great life because of you and the love and support you are giving him.
Again thank you so much. Charlie is amazing!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks again for asking.
:yess::clap2::clap::salam::cheerleader::goldstar::redheartpump::hearthrob::touched::rock: