Stray/Feral Care When On Vacation

dianemge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 ... yes, I said 4 cats. My problem is I love animals. One was 24 ft up a tree, one was walking across the road in pouring rain just 5 weeks old, one was a stray/ feral cat that I fed and it liked the food and the last is about 4 months old and also liked the food. I have to stop feeding them. I have no more room and I can't stand to see them out in the cold...
Anyway, the stray/feral meows constantly so I figure it was not happy in the house so I let it out. It stays in my fenced back yard as far as I know and stays close to the covered patio. All this is ok with me being here to let him in and out.
I hope to go on vacation soon. My problem is that I do have a sitter stop three times a day. (One cat is diabetic and has shots twice a day.)
But I am not sure the stray/ feral will come in for the sitter. And if I leave it in it will meow constantly which irrates the diabetic cat. I hate to just leave the stray/feral cat out cause I don't want it hurt or scared since now it comes in. I have thought of calming drops but not in the water because all of them don't need it.
Any one have a suggestion? Thanks

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't the pet sitter leave food outside for the feral when she comes over? If you are worried about another animal eating it, the food might stay high from the floor where a cat can jump. I leave food like that on the exact spot for some street cats who don't always come over at the same hour. x3 more than a cat can eat in case someone else eats too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! A very close friend has a situation similar to yours and when they travel the outdoor cat is fed in a designated place which the cat is used to. A sitter who comes three times a day should be able to handle this. It is not ideal and the cat may or may not come in for the sitter. Does he know the sitter at all? I am a little unclear about his level of friendliness which could make a difference to how you handle this. Does he sleep in the covered patio?

Background on my friend is that she tried to board the outside cat at a lovely facility as her indoor cat could not be left alone locked in the house with the stray. Two days into this, the facility called her and said that the cat was refusing all food and water and that someone needed to come for him. There are a lot of coyotes in this area, so as I said, not ideal but he survived and ate his food.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a similar situation a few years ago when my now-indoor semi-feral cat and her buddy, a stray cat, were being fed outside while I also had four indoor cats. I had a pretty regular feeding schedule for them all and when I went on vacation, the pet sitter came as close to the usual feeding time as possible. The outside cats showed up almost every time! A few times the sitter was late by about an hour and they were still there waiting for their meal. I asked the sitter to feed the outside cats first. When she was finished feeding the inside cats and scooping litter, etc., the two outside cats had finished eating and she could pick up the bowls and bring them into the kitchen to wash them.

If your sitter plans to spend a little more time at your house, maybe the stray feral cat would come inside for a short time. Or perhaps this cat is friendly enough that the sitter can sit with him for a time outside to keep him company. At least you have the covered patio which is great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianemge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't the pet sitter leave food outside for the feral when she comes over? If you are worried about another animal eating it, the food might stay high from the floor where a cat can jump. I leave food like that on the exact spot for some street cats who don't always come over at the same hour. x3 more than a cat can eat in case someone else eats too.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, the sitter will put food out for the strays/feral. I guess I just worry about this one because it has been in the house for about a month and it has now decided it wants out during the day and in at night. I don't think it will come in when a stranger opens the door for it.

dianemge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! A very close friend has a situation similar to yours and when they travel the outdoor cat is fed in a designated place which the cat is used to. A sitter who comes three times a day should be able to handle this. It is not ideal and the cat may or may not come in for the sitter. Does he know the sitter at all? I am a little unclear about his level of friendliness which could make a difference to how you handle this. Does he sleep in the covered patio?

Background on my friend is that she tried to board the outside cat at a lovely facility as her indoor cat could not be left alone locked in the house with the stray. Two days into this, the facility called her and said that the cat was refusing all food and water and that someone needed to come for him. There are a lot of coyotes in this area, so as I said, not ideal but he survived and ate his food.
Thank you for responding. Your response made me feel a little better. When 'Yellow' goes out I do put his food in the same spot on the covered porch. The sitter has kept them for a few days but Yellow stayed in the whole time. He would not let her pet him but he came within 6 ft of her.
A boarding facility would not work at it. Just too little space for him. He is still very skittish of us. But your thoughts make me feel better that I am doing all I can. Thanks again

dianemge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a similar situation a few years ago when my now-indoor semi-feral cat and her buddy, a stray cat, were being fed outside while I also had four indoor cats. I had a pretty regular feeding schedule for them all and when I went on vacation, the pet sitter came as close to the usual feeding time as possible. The outside cats showed up almost every time! A few times the sitter was late by about an hour and they were still there waiting for their meal. I asked the sitter to feed the outside cats first. When she was finished feeding the inside cats and scooping litter, etc., the two outside cats had finished eating and she could pick up the bowls and bring them into the kitchen to wash them.

If your sitter plans to spend a little more time at your house, maybe the stray feral cat would come inside for a short time. Or perhaps this cat is friendly enough that the sitter can sit with him for a time outside to keep him company. At least you have the covered patio which is great!
It always makes me feel better to know I am not the only one who has ended up with this type of issue! I'm going to try not to worry and do as you said, fed him in same spot when he is outside and pick up food at night. I will also make him a little house even though the patio is covered. You mentioned all of my worries and I so appreciate your help. Thanks!