stray dog

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
A sweet, skittish young German shepherd has been dumped on our only country road, and everyone offers it treats in passing. It follows my truck, as if it liked trucks, but then backs off if I try to approach. Anybody know how to catch a dog?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Contact all the dog rescues in your area. There's an organization called The Retrievers that specializes in trapping scared dogs, but they require that a rescue be lined up before they come trap.
Request Assistance | The Retrievers

If you'd like to try for a while yourself, start by putting food in the same place every day, then after she's used to that, slowly move the food into a garage or shed until she's all the way in and the door can be pulled shut with a rope. But honestly I think you should contact rescues quickly because it's not safe for her out there.

If she looks interested in trucks, try opening the door and whistling and tell her to get in. This fools a lot of friendly dogs, lol. But if she's skittish that might not be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, all. it’s very disheartening as all the state/local rescue places (which is really just 1) haven’t bothered to respond. How anyone could dump such a beautiful animal is beyond me, and I’m a cat person! All the dog people in town are on it, and doing their best: have sent all your great info to them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our last dog was a German Shepherd and I love this breed. I have been a long time member of a German Shepherd site and would recommend contacting a GSD Rescue group in your state. They would know exactly what to do, how to work with the dog and place him or her in an appropriate home. Here are GSD rescue groups by state: GSD Rescues Nationwide

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
What helpful information! Thank you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I also love GSDs and have had several, all rescues. The only bit of advice I can add is that my previous one was probably dumped from a truck in the Angeles National Forest. We thought this as for several weeks after his rescue he obsessively tried to look into all trucks we passed as we walked, thinking that maybe his owner was in one. If you can get this dog into a vehicle, safely, that may work.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
A bit of a small good news update: the OWNERS have finally turned up (And right now it is freezing rain outside pore dawg), looking for “Bella.” What took them so long to ask anybody is a mystery, and it is so skittish I’d be surprised if it comes up to the owners. But they just texted me now, so maybe there is more good news.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the owners just lost that poor doggie and will be very grateful to get her/him safely back home. Very hopeful that the GSD is okay and will go right to their family with the joy that doggies demonstrate.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD NEWS! The owners came down from miles away and got the dog! Happy ending! She must be flea bitten, soaked (it’s been raining for 3 days) and starving, but…home. It was a community effort, and we are here all heartened to know we all care. 🐾