Stray deceased kittens

Brodyxdean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First time posting here. We've had a family of stray cats in our neighbourhood and as we have our own indoor cat, we sometimes leave out food for them. Last year the 'mother' of the group had 3 kittens. One we found dead, one disappeared and the other is a big boy now that hangs out with his family!

An hour or so ago I found 2 dead little kittens. I didn't even know mom was pregnant, she's still so small. The entire family have been away all day. The 2 little one are still pretty limp so I feel like they haven't been dead long. It's been pretty cold today so I imagine the temperature got to them. They were clean, obviously mom cleaned them off. And they had both pooped so I think that means they had eaten?

Will mom come back for them? My heart is broken seeing them

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I don't really know if she is already aware or if she will return. Bless you and your family for being such caring people.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry about this. You are evidently very kind and sensitive about these ferals. It is hard to tell. I have seen litters of very young feral kittens trying to nurse from a dead mother cat and have seen mother cats go crazy if they are separated from their kittens (long story, husband's fault, it all had a happy ending), but the question of returning to deceased kittens might be a little more open to interpretation of how the mother cat sees it. If the mother cat is not a good mother, which some never get the hang of what to do, she may not be involved with the kittens and may have left them specifically because she knew that they were dying. Leaving them briefly might be okay; I don't know what type of terrain you have or if that is a good idea, but ultimately you should probably collect them and call AC to come for them or whatever you feel is appropriate.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry .... but I’m glad you found your way here. I’ve found this site to be filled w/people who have lots of knowledge and experience, and with people who are great at listening. And some who do both! So glad you’re here!

It’s very hard to know what happened. Unfortunately only a small percentage of kittens born outside to feral moms survive the first day or two, and a large portion don’t survive past the first few weeks. And cats can actually get pregnant at 4 months (!!). And small kitties & young kitties have real trouble surviving the birthing & rearing periods.

BUT - luckily the sweeties have you keeping an eye. I agree w/ fionasmom fionasmom - they won’t live many hours. But you could at least check, and let the local humane society/animal control/etc know & they’ll at least make sure they’re removed in a respectful manner. If you know this kitty group fairly well & care (& it sounds like you do!!), you might consider the truly humane thing for any of the feline family & at least TNR (Trap/Neuter/Return -or Release). Keeping them from breeding is a big step in breaking the chain. If you think you might want to do this —- or want suggestions in how to best help them, just ask!!!

We’re SO GLAD you found your way here!! Keep us posted.