Stray cat

Cinderrosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I took in a stray cat a few weeks ago and I’m curious about something. I took her to the vet because she is wheezing. We discovered she has lesions on her lungs and she was put on antibiotics and a steroid. My question is the vet did the feline luekemia test and it came back negative, but the vet said the I should still keep her separate from the other cat's because the test should be done again in 6 months to be sure she doesn’t have the feline luekemia. I have never heard that before. I thought that as long as the test was negative she was good ?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just guessing ,and the best thing is to ask your vet , but I suspect the vet is wondering if the cat was exposed right before you got her but the illness is not active enough to show up yet. Cats can fight off the illness and it remains sort of dormant but another type of illness can activate it. It is possible for them to get rid of it too. The upper respiratory thing may be making the vet cautious. I agree that erring on the side of caution is not a bad thing. Since this kitty is currently sick, isolating from the others would be best right now anyway, no matter what the cause. Have a frank talk with your vet.