Stray Cat Went Missing?

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone. I was with my friend today and I told her that I would be feeding my stray cat friend, Shrimp. He is a orange/ginger cat. Yesterday I fed him and after that, I just left thinking that he would stay there until tomorrow.

But when I checked at the exact place I fed him, no one was there. I looked around and his cardboard box was empty. I tried looking around the place, Car-parks and under cars. He wasn't warming up in cars or either in car parks.

Apparently Shrimp knocked over an plastic container with some 'food' an Auntie gave him, but it wasn't even empty. And all the treats I gave him are gone, so it confirms that he indeed ate all of it, but left afterwards. I looked at parks and places near where I fed him. But he wasn't anywhere. It was raining, it wasn't that bad and it was light. And when I met him was in a place with a roof and indoors.

So, what should I do now?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Kittysodaa, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Are you sure that you are the only one feeding Shrimp? As you mentioned, an Aunty has been giving him food too. Shrimp could have been fed by someone else somewhere too and therefore he did not return the next day.

He could be taking shelter somewhere else too. Strays have a territory that they roam about and so he could be having a few places for food and shelter.

Are you planning to take him in and keep him indoors?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi K Kittysodaa Welcome to TCS.

Has Shrimp been neutered? If he is still a tom cat it's quite common for them to go off for a few days looking for a mate. It's also quite dangerous for them to do this, so if he hasn't been neutered yet you should try to do that.

If he has been fixed he still might wander off from time to time. How friendly is he? Can you pet him? If he's a stray cat, one that used to be someone's pet, rather than a true feral he'd be much better off indoors. Any chance you could let him come inside?

Here are a few articles about feral cats. Please take a look at them, there's lots of information here that can help you help Shrimp.

Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat?

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference

How To Help Feral Cats Stay Safe & Warm During Winter

Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release)

murphyboy

Murphy’s Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this has happened!

Try putting out his litter box and food.

Usually the scent brings them back. Worked for my childhood cat. Gone for a few days and came back meowing at the door.

Best of luck! ♥

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Kittysodaa, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Are you sure that you are the only one feeding Shrimp? As you mentioned, an Aunty has been giving him food too. Shrimp could have been fed by someone else somewhere too and therefore he did not return the next day.

He could be taking shelter somewhere else too. Strays have a territory that they roam about and so he could be having a few places for food and shelter.

Are you planning to take him in and keep him indoors?
I saw from the auntie that she didnt really give 'cat food' , It wasn't really cat food, it looked like peanuts. She also asked me this "Hey have you seen this cat that looks like Shrimp? the color is the same but someone/I lost him/her"

I answered no because I never seen a ginger cat except Shrimp. Shrimp ate some food the auntie gave him, but I don't think cats should eat peanuts. I wanted to just daily feed him, and check him out if he had anything wrong, if so I would take him to a shelter/vet. Oh and yes, a homeless/kicked out man slept near the place where I saw shrimp the next day.

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi K Kittysodaa Welcome to TCS.

Has Shrimp been neutered? If he is still a tom cat it's quite common for them to go off for a few days looking for a mate. It's also quite dangerous for them to do this, so if he hasn't been neutered yet you should try to do that.

If he has been fixed he still might wander off from time to time. How friendly is he? Can you pet him? If he's a stray cat, one that used to be someone's pet, rather than a true feral he'd be much better off indoors. Any chance you could let him come inside?

Here are a few articles about feral cats. Please take a look at them, there's lots of information here that can help you help Shrimp.

Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat?

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference

How To Help Feral Cats Stay Safe & Warm During Winter

Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release)
Couldn't check him out, I didn't want to annoy him so I just left. He would have a direct look at me. I am sure he was owned by someone because he had a cardboard box that I knew did not exist before Shrimp arrived.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm kind of confused.....

Are there two ginger cats? One called Shrimp and one that looks like him? I'm not sure what Auntie meant when she asked if you had seen the cat that looks like Shrimp.

How long have you been taking care of Shrimp/this cat?

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of confused.....

Are there two ginger cats? One called Shrimp and one that looks like him? I'm not sure what Auntie meant when she asked if you had seen the cat that looks like Shrimp.

How long have you been taking care of Shrimp/this cat?
the Auntie met a cat that looks like the color of shrimp, orange and white. Well, I haven't really had a bond with him at all. I started yesterday and I was shy. After my friend left the park, I decided to be brave and gave some cat food I bought for him. Still, direct look at me. I layed down some food because I guess Shrimp didn't want to eat that 'peanutish' food.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I’m more confused.................. so the cardboard box is used by the cat or the homeless man? It could be the present of the homeless man and the cat did not show up at the same place and an Aunty claiming another same cat :headscratch: :think: :confused:

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m more confused.................. so the cardboard box is used by the cat or the homeless man? It could be the present of the homeless man and the cat did not show up at the same place and an Aunty claiming another same cat :headscratch: :think: :confused:
The homeless man just used a single cardboard plate that did not come from the cardboard box of shrimp's. The Auntie was saying about another cat that was lost.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I see. You mean the cat looks like a shrimp because of his orange and white colour? Well. Shrimp is a great name for a cat.

It sounds as if someone is taking care of him if he already has a box to sleep in. Of course, a bit of proper cat food would be very welcome as well. Cats can't eat nuts, that must be why he left the peanuts.

Cats have their routines. They go back to the same place at the same time every day. If he is being fed by someone he will know what time they arrive to feed him. If you want to help whoever is taking care of him you should try going back at the same time of day as you first saw Shrimp.

But please be really careful about waiting around in the park! Don't go there on your own, get your friend to go with you and don't hang around if there is anyone weird looking there.

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I see. You mean the cat looks like a shrimp because of his orange and white colour? Well. Shrimp is a great name for a cat.

It sounds as if someone is taking care of him if he already has a box to sleep in. Of course, a bit of proper cat food would be very welcome as well. Cats can't eat nuts, that must be why he left the peanuts.

Cats have their routines. They go back to the same place at the same time every day. If he is being fed by someone he will know what time they arrive to feed him. If you want to help whoever is taking care of him you should try going back at the same time of day as you first saw Shrimp.

But please be really careful about waiting around in the park! Don't go there on your own, get your friend to go with you and don't hang around if there is anyone weird looking there.
I went there at the exact time I met him. 2:30pm. I stayed until 3:30 and left afterwards. It could be because the homeless man frightened Shrimp? I am just scared because I didnt have source of water on hand.

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also just to ask more, I gave him catnip treats. I was on a budget and my dad didn't give me much. I now regret it and I feel really really ashamed if something happens to him.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It could be frightened by the homeless man or he could have gone to his other place.

Check the area again from a distant the next time you go there. He could also be hanging around observing the homeless man.

Not sure if he was chased away or frightened by the man. Maybe you can take the box and place it at another location away from the man?

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be frightened by the homeless man or he could have gone to his other place.

Check the area again from a distant the next time you go there. He could also be hanging around observing the homeless man.

Not sure if he was chased away or frightened by the man. Maybe you can take the box and place it at another location away from the man?
The man left after getting a nap, cardboard plate he used is gone. (it was when i came back from buying more cat food incase) Box still remains. Cat is still gone, I searched around again and nope. I don't know his other place and I don't want to move his box incase he knows i will feed him, Also do you recommend buying blankets if the cat returns and making it comfy in his cardboard box?

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update 1.0 - I am going to find him today, I'll update you'll if I find him or if something weird happens, which i know will happen cause shrimp isnt neutered..

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think it’s not a very good idea to get blankets for the kitty as now is the rainy season and both cardboard box and blanket will be soaking wet if they are not under any dry shelter. So if both are wet, the kitty will not use it.

Kittysodaa

Giving Kitties A Home
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it’s not a very good idea to get blankets for the kitty as now is the rainy season and both cardboard box and blanket will be soaking wet if they are not under any dry shelter. So if both are wet, the kitty will not use it.
Thanks for the advice. I did not see Shrimp, but I did see a grey cat that did look like she was pregnant, She wasn't neutered/spayed, She had signs of pregnancy. I went to go buy a bed for her kittens, placed down a bowl of food and water. Was it possible Shrimp... was the dad of the future kittens?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It’s hard to tell whether it was Shrimp that got her pregnant as how many not spayed and not neutered cats are around.

You bought a bed for her? Usually when they are about to give birth, they’ll look for places that are quiet and secluded away from humans. So I don’t know how your cat bed will fit in as she might not use it.

Do you see any volunteers that goes around feeding cats in your area? You may want to tie up with them and they know the cats that are in the area. It’ll be easier if you work with them rather than on your own.