Stray cat weight & health

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi All! I was seeing a cat intermittently around my house. Assumed it was a feral and was trying to come up with a plan for TNR. I live in a leash law community so getting TNR done is precarious! One day my own cat alerted me that the cat was on the porch. I took a bowl of food out and this kitty walked right up to me; wanted to come in. Long story short: she had a chip but the info had not been updated. Could not find owner. Thankfully, my old employer agreed that I could foster her & she could be adopted right from my home. Took her for a vet check at the shelter Monday and the vet said her weight was fine. It had improved in the two weeks I had had her but she still has a very skinny waist and hindquarters. About 5 days ago she had a few bouts of throwing up and one day she scraped her but on the carpet leaving fecal material. They had not tested the fecal sample I took in for her vet check so I brought another yesterday. I told them her symptoms. They said she "might" have a little coccidia and gave me wormers to put in her food. She had gone from eating lots every day to now eating one day and not the next. No more vomiting but her stool is okay one day and then soft the next. I am supposed to put the wormer in her wet food but as her eating is erratic now I don't think she has had any. I think I will squirt it in her mouth tomorrow.

At this point I am not confident about the vet at the shelter. She is sunken in behind her ribs and has no muscle on her back end. I know that she was outside for at least a month so maybe this is just lack of food. However, I don't think her condition qualifies as a "good weight"! For two and 1/2 weeks she ate a 5.5 oz plus can of wet food and quite a bit of dry. Her poop was normal but she only peed once per day. Now her eating is off and on and no where as much as before. They didn't test her first fecal sample because the stool looked normal to the vet.

The information I got from the chip is that she is about 3 years old. Because I no longer work at the humane society they would not give me the owner's name or I would have hunted her down. Do you guys think I should be worried or just go with the flow. They will be posting her for adoption next week. A really sweet girl who knows nothing about social distancing!

Thank you!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would not "go with the flow". Shelters do not always have sufficient funds for sophisticated veterinary investigations but no shelter should post a cat for adoption when she isn't fit. How can a vet tell from just looking at a stool sample that she hasn't got worms or giadia? She will need more than 2 weeks of medication and testing before you can be certain that she is free of parasites.

What sort of contract have you got with the shelter? If it were me, I would take her to another vet - but, of course, if you are rather short of cash, or if this goes against the rules, this may not be an option for you. Sorry that I can't be of more assistance.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I wondered the same thing....if you were bound by some rules to the shelter and if you could compromise yourself or the cat if you don't follow those. But, yes, I agree that something is wrong, certainly maybe can be remedied, she should not be posted for adoption. That is all she needs.....sick cat given to new family who is not prepared or interested in really resolving this. It is also dishonest on the part of the shelter.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would seek a private vet. I realize all too well the time and money constraints that shelter vets face. They do the best with what they have, but this girl needs something more.