Stray cat very distressed

sushicat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I posted the other day about a stray/near feral cat that I have taken in with the aim to rehabilitate and keep myself. Over the past 2 days he's been extremely frustrated, scratching on walls and doors and howling through the night. I'm a bit worried my neighbours will hear and be irritated by him, as he really don't stop for long. He was getting on great with my other cat Otis, but yesterday attacked him out of nowhere. I'm still trying to get him neutered and am waiting a call back from the vets. He currently has everything he needs and a feliway. I go in there a few times a day and just sit with him but he hides and only comes out when Otis is in the room, which I'm not allowing at the moment due to his previous attack. I'm feeling at a bit of a loss and we're all just stressed out and wondering what I can do to help him to settle? Should the neutering help? I'm trying to get him done as soon as I can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sushicat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I posted the other day about a stray/near feral cat that I have taken in with the aim to rehabilitate and keep myself. Over the past 2 days he's been extremely frustrated, scratching on walls and doors and howling through the night. I'm a bit worried my neighbours will hear and be irritated by him, as he really don't stop for long. He was getting on great with my other cat Otis, but yesterday attacked him out of nowhere. I'm still trying to get him neutered and am waiting a call back from the vets. He currently has everything he needs and a feliway. I go in there a few times a day and just sit with him but he hides and only comes out when Otis is in the room, which I'm not allowing at the moment due to his previous attack. I'm feeling at a bit of a loss and we're all just stressed out and wondering what I can do to help him to settle? Should the neutering help? I'm trying to get him done as soon as I can.

P.S he's in a room of his own, which is the room he's trying to get out of to go back outside.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is what male cats that are not neutered do. They yowl, howl, go stir crazy wanting out and also fight. Please keep him separated from your other cats. He will settle after the neuter, but it takes 3 or so weeks for the hormones to settle. He will need to be kept separated from your other cats for awhile.

This all takes lots of time and patience. Stray cats need love and patience. Neutering will really mellow him, but it is not an overnight transition. Keep the cats separated and work on socializing this kitty and getting him to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sushicat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what male cats that are not neutered do. They yowl, howl, go stir crazy wanting out and also fight. Please keep him separated from your other cats. He will settle after the neuter, but it takes 3 or so weeks for the hormones to settle. He will need to be kept separated from your other cats for awhile.

This all takes lots of time and patience. Stray cats need love and patience. Neutering will really mellow him, but it is not an overnight transition. Keep the cats separated and work on socializing this kitty and getting him to the vet.

Thank you! Good to be reassured that he is doing this due to not being neutered. I'll be keeping them separated until I see some noticeable changes in him ☺