Stray cat to house cat?

PumpkinSpiceTRex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a home that was vacant for 9 months. The previous owner left behind a beautiful oreo colored cat. She was very shy at first. I started to feed her. Now I feed her 3 times a day, I built her a shelter. She started coming around all the time. I am now able to pet and hold her. I would love to make Betty my house cat. She came in willingly and I have her in my room with food, water and litter box. She is currently hiding under the bed. She isn't meowing and doesn't seem scared but she definitely does want to come out from under there, she'sjust not sure yet. Any tips for me? I am a first time foster cat mom. She will come out for some quick pets but goes right back under.
20221226_110626.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She will come out for some quick pets
Hi
This is fantastic!!
Be patient, sit on the floor and talk to her now and then, at other times just go about your regular day without focusing on her. This will give her the emotional space to learn about the sounds and smells associated with you and your house.

Some people might suggest hurrying her to come out but I think there's no rush. She's with you now, safe and sound, cared for and loved 😍.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a home that was vacant for 9 months. The previous owner left behind a beautiful oreo colored cat. She was very shy at first. I started to feed her. Now I feed her 3 times a day, I built her a shelter. She started coming around all the time. I am now able to pet and hold her. I would love to make Betty my house cat. She came in willingly and I have her in my room with food, water and litter box. She is currently hiding under the bed. She isn't meowing and doesn't seem scared but she definitely does want to come out from under there, she'sjust not sure yet. Any tips for me? I am a first time foster cat mom. She will come out for some quick pets but goes right back under.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking Betty in and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:

It is normal for Betty to hide as of now as she is new being indoors. It'll take awhile fro her to settle down and to adjust to living indoors.

I don't think Betty is feral. She's more likely to be a stray and that's why she gets used to you so quickly by letting you pet her and hold her and also coming into your house willingly.

Give her time to adjust to the surroundings sounds and sights. Announce your arrival by calling out her name in a sweet loving tone.
Furballsmom Furballsmom have wonder tips for you as mentioned in the above post.
Just be patient with Betty and don't rush her and let her explore the room at her own time. In the meanwhile, leave some of your clean unwashed non perfumed garments with her so that she she gets used to you scents and this will build up her confidence.

So far you are doing very well and feel free to ask questions. Take one step a day and when it's time for her to come out from hiding, she will come out.

She's a lovely gal :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PumpkinSpiceTRex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
This is fantastic!!
Be patient, sit on the floor and talk to her now and then, at other times just go about your regular day without focusing on her. This will give her the emotional space to learn about the sounds and smells associated with you and your house.

Some people might suggest hurrying her to come out but I think there's no rush. She's with you now, safe and sound, cared for and loved 😍.
Thank you!!