Stray cat pregnancy/behavior

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just started fostering a pregnant cat thru our local shelter. She is our 6th pregnant cat that we have fostered. The shelter has zero history on her other than she came in as a stray. She looks little older and I think it is safe to assume this is not her first litter. I have a couple of questions. First, based on this x-ray can anyone guess as to approximately how far along she is? The skeletons don't look as developed as I've seen in other radiographs so I'm wondering if she might still have a week or two to go? The shelter vet is saying they think she will have at least 6 kittens. Any guesses as to how far along she might be?

Also, she is extremely scared. She is not growling or hissing and will let me pet her. But will not come towards me. It's only been 24 hours so I know she needs a lot more time. Ay advice on getting her to feel safe and comfortable? She is in a quiet room by her self with about three different 'hiding"place and is eating and using the letterbox when no one else is in the room. I'm hopefully that with time she will come around and understand that she is safe now <3

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Try cat music - Relax My Cat, or Cat In My Arms, and also this website purrli . com. Heatbeat toys and purr toys can help too if you're able to obtain those :hearthrob:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im no expert on X-rays to interprete the pics, but if the skeleton arent ready its more than 2 weeks left. Sooner 4 weeks.

Good she lets you pet her. It makes it easier for you as she is handleable. But observe, its not a show off love nor trust. Its really a survival mode... She accepts what is coming and must be endured... Essentially, "playing possum", playing dead during a bear attack, hoping the bear will go away and let you be. Not a bad strategy, it works sometimes.

So, time, patience and love is your friends. Good calming and relaxing music as mentioned above, should help. Possibly also, a Feliway diffuser.

You visit her often with food and treats. You talk much with low, friendly voice. Sit down, or even, lay down.... Do NOT have radio with human voices on. Talk yourself. And when you arent there, have this soft, calming music on....
Yawn sometimes to her, and staying low, strech on yourself. In cat language, its not being sleepy nor lazy, but its greetings to a pal.

K kittyfostermama

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the cat music suggestions. Her room now sounds like a spa ;) Very relaxing even for us humans!

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im no expert on X-rays to interprete the pics, but if the skeleton arent ready its more than 2 weeks left. Sooner 4 weeks.

Good she lets you pet her. It makes it easier for you as she is handleable. But observe, its not a show off love nor trust. Its really a survival mode... She accepts what is coming and must be endured... Essentially, "playing possum", playing dead during a bear attack, hoping the bear will go away and let you be. Not a bad strategy, it works sometimes.

So, time, patience and love is your friends. Good calming and relaxing music as mentioned above, should help. Possibly also, a Feliway diffuser.

You visit her often with food and treats. You talk much with low, friendly voice. Sit down, or even, lay down.... Do NOT have radio with human voices on. Talk yourself. And when you arent there, have this soft, calming music on....
Yawn sometimes to her, and staying low, strech on yourself. In cat language, its not being sleepy nor lazy, but its greetings to a pal.

Taking all of your suggestions! Yes, your description of her "Playing possum/dead" describes her behavior perfectly. Hoping she will eventually come around. She seems to enjoy the chin and cheek scratches from me. Hoping to get some purring out of her one of these days!

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s been almost two weeks since we’ve had this girl and the shelter told us “one, maybe two weeks” til she has her babies. I’m thinking it’s gonna be today or tomorrow as she seems to be very restless and uncomfortable. Although she has several options to have the babies, it looks like she is going to chose the one that is least conducive to have kittens (the last pic is where she spends the most time, under the cat tower and up against the wall) but I’m letting her decide. She is still very shy so I’m not planning to do much other than watch, unless I absolutely have to intervene. The shelter vet thought 6-8 kittens so it will be really interesting to see. I’m really hoping it’s on the lower end.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully it’s just 4 or 5 good-sized, healthy babies!

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How important is it to weigh newborn kittens and how often should it be done? Our very shy/scared/stray foster delivered 6 healthy babies yesterday. I was able to get weights on them today and they range from 110-130 grams. They are all nursing well and mom is doing a very good job of tending to them. So well, that she now growls at me if I even look at her and the babies from across the room. I don't want to mess with them too much and really make her cranky and risk a bite or scratch but also want to make sure they are all gaining as they should. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So she did have six. Their weights are good. Wait a couple of days to weigh again and mom may feel a bit more settled as her hormones even out. Weigh in front of mom so she can see you, though you do need a flat surface for the scale.

Weighing is important early on, particularly with a litter this size, as there may be a runt or two who get pushed off the best nipples and get less milk. If so, and they are not gaining at least 6-10 grams daily, you’ll want to supplement. Also observe if a particular kitten cries a lot. It may be hungry.

Otherwise, if all appears well, weigh once daily for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, see that mom eats plenty of kitten food and gets a dish of kitten formula daily herself. She needs the extra calcium for nursing.

Last edited:

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes, I was happy it was on the lower end of the vet's guesstimate but still a good size litter. I will add formula to mom's food offerings. She is on the kitten wet and dry food already. I'll give her a couple days to settle in and then start weighing kittens.

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thoughts on genders? Mama has settled down nicely and I was able to get the kittens weighed again and a look at their underparts. All are gaining well. I think I know what I'm seeing but wanted to double check here with those more experienced. Attached are 6 pics. From what I can tell, I think we have 5 males (#1-5) and 1 female(#6). Thoughts?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How important is it to weigh newborn kittens and how often should it be done? Our very shy/scared/stray foster delivered 6 healthy babies yesterday. I was able to get weights on them today and they range from 110-130 grams. They are all nursing well and mom is doing a very good job of tending to them. So well, that she now growls at me if I even look at her and the babies from across the room. I don't want to mess with them too much and really make her cranky and risk a bite or scratch but also want to make sure they are all gaining as they should. Any suggestions?
Its most important in touchy situations. Say, they are tinish, or you are unsure if they really gain. Some experienced rescuers dont weigh them, they are good at reading off the situation, the size, they feel off the kitten and the weigh change with a glance and holding them in their hand.

But for all those less experienced its gold worth to weigh daily, and the easiest way to have a track of their well being. Also, this way you see them nearby / examine, and may notice other problems too, alike if they have fleas on them...

As you describe this here, I agree with SArthur. The start weighs are very good, above average. Momma is good momma, well taking care of them, they seem all to nurse well and thrive....
So its not the same hurry to weight again.
Let her land and calm down. After a coupleof days she will hopefully be more OK with you nearby.

But its a process, with 6 at once there will be a competition for the teats, and it will easily happen someone will get too little and become the renown runt... And it happens easily the downward spirale. Beware!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am terrible at determining genders this young. W Willowy is good at this. Otherwise, let’s try photos again in 2-3 weeks. 😊

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, #2, #3, and #4 are definitely boys. #6 is definitely a girl. #1 and #5 I'm not positive about because I can't see the urogenital opening clearly. It looks like they have testicles but could be their anal glands or something like that. Probably boys though.

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will check again in a week or two to see if there is a better view.