Stray Cat - Need Help With Expectations Versus Reality

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, during the summer I noticed a new teenage cat the yard. Assumed it had a home but fall came and it was still hanging out. So I started to feed it about a month ago. Anyway, we have our schedule down and it talks to me, but I’ve never gotten close to petting it. Over the past week I had it coming into the kitchen to eat by leaving the door open. Today I decide to tie a string to the door and close it behind the cat. It flipped out a bit, but calmed down and went and sat up in the window. I tried to pet it, but it hissed and spat at me. I guess I’ve been very lucky, the last two stray I took in were not aggressive at all after I trapped them.

Long story shot, I opened the door and let it out again. Funny thing is thought, it hung out in the kitchen for several minutes even after I opened the door and then it just sauntered out.

I installed a cat door into the garage and there’s an insulated cat house in there. I saw it use the door once, but it hasn’t since. But I’m pretty sure it knows it can get in there and out from the elements. I honestly am not sure if it belongs to someone, though I doubt it given that it shows up promptly on time twice a day.

My question is….what’s realistic as far as post-trap behavior?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is it possible to continue to do the kitchen door thing - only, for now, don't try to touch him/her? It seems like it wants the 'company' but not ready yet to go the next step. Maybe, s/he goes inside your house rather than the garage cat door because you are there?

I don't know what your situation is with other cats, but maybe a cat door in your kitchen door would be the answer until you can see how far you can take this - at least open during the times s/he typically appears. Perhaps, blocking off the kitchen area from the other cats? If there is an area off of your kitchen that is a bit 'isolated' maybe set up a bed there? Not sure where this window is that s/he 'used', but that might be a place to give it a bed.

It's all kind of 'trial and error' if you have the patience to do that. Based on the way s/he behaved when it took its time leaving, this could be doable - over time.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He certainly could have another home - just coming around for more food of course. Could you get him into a carrier (with food) and to vet to see if he has a chip? I'd feel a lot better about keeping him if I knew that much, tho' many still don't do their cats. Maybe ask around if anyone knows him, or do posters asking.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer to fall is a long time. If possible,get him to a vet to check for a micro chip. Also spayed. Cats favorite spot to be scratched is behind the ear. Start from the bottom and slowly to his head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have other cats so no cat door in the kitchen.

I was leaving dry food every night in the garage and I was thrilled it was disappearing because I thought that meant he was coming in and out. Then I noticed all this dirt in the bowl and I realized it was mouse droppings. So I put flour around the cat door to see if there were tracks and guess what, no tracks, those damn mice must have been emptying the cat bowl every night.

I couldn’t get near it’s ear. He sits near me while waiting for food in a loaf.

The vets around here are so busy. I guess I can just call and ask if they could check quickly. Like I said, any possibility that there’s kittens somewhere means I can’t just drop it off for the day at the vet. I suppose if I wait for a few more weeks I can be sure there’s no kittens right?

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The 'busy' vets get paid to be busy - last thing you should worry about plus they'll probably take 5 mins to look,, not need all day. What if there are no kittens now, but kittens in 2 mos? You're worrying about all these things but there are no magic answers. Maybe stop feeding the mice and get a shelter cat... I'm sure 'yours' will manage somehow if he doesn't actually have a home already.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
D
The 'busy' vets get paid to be busy - last thing you should worry about plus they'll probably take 5 mins to look,, not need all day. What if there are no kittens now, but kittens in 2 mos? You're worrying about all these things but there are no magic answers. Maybe stop feeding the mice and get a shelter cat... I'm sure 'yours' will manage somehow if he doesn't actually have a home already.
Spare me the snark and ask yourself why you’re getting triggered over some rational questions.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very sorry, did not mean it to come across like that - must have been a long day. I also think it worried me a bit that you'd think kittens might show up in two wks - unless they're nearly grown, it seems unlikely they'd still be around. I guess it also bothered me that someone would just sort of pick up a cat on the street without knowing/asking around about it - many people do let their cats out in the daytime whether or not we think it's right, but lots of them do go home at night. When a 5 mo. kitten arrived at our door yrs ago (likely smelled my others) we took him to a block-away vet and put posters up, but no one knew him or ever called, so we did keep him, but I'd hate to think I lost a cat because someone else fed him and thought it was OK to just keep him.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very sorry, did not mean it to come across like that - must have been a long day. It did worry me a bit that you'd think kittens might show up in two wks - unless they're nearly grown, it seems unlikely they'd still be around. I guess it also bothered me that someone would just sort of pick up a cat on the street without knowing/asking around about it - many people do let their cats out in the daytime whether or not we think it's right, but lots of them do go home at night. When a 5 mo. kitten arrived at our door yrs ago (likely smelled my others) we took him to a block-away vet and put posters up, but no one knew him or ever called, so we did keep him, but I'd hate to think I lost a cat because someone else fed him and thought it was OK to just keep him.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apology accepted. The reason I think that waiting a few weeks eliminates the possibility of kittens is because of where I live (northeast) and (at least from what I’ve read) cats don’t go into heat after the days go below 12 hours. I think I can get enough evidence (people don’t seem to chip pets as much as they used to) that he has a home or not by seeing how things go in the next few weeks. In the meantime it has two squares and a heated cat house if it wants to use it.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's terrific, I'm also up 'here in the E. (waiting for humongous storm tomorrow nite) and thx for tip re 12 hrs - never heard that. Keep the heat on in the house :)

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As you say, for all I know this cat could have a cat door and go in and out at will and could be absolutely thrilled it’s found some neighbor lady to feed it wet food twice a day.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you asked around? Etc? I don't wanna spoil a potentially good thing because I'm so 'smart'!

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: good news and bad news. I moved the cat house just outside my back door where there’s an overhang. Then I enclosed the overhang area with plastic and made a doorway to get in there that’s protected from snow blowing in. Kitty started using it right away and spent the night there three nights in a row and most of those days. Then last night it was unseasonably warm and rainy/windy and no kitty in the shelter this morning. Showed up about 11AM after I called him and again at 4PM for dinner. But he leaves right away and isn’t using the cat house now. I wonder if the problem is that I think the sound of the wind/rain hitting the plastic scared him (it wasn’t windy the days before that.)

I guess now I know for sure he’s homeless - bummer. I was so relieved when he started using the cat house as it’s heated/protected from the wind. I hate to think of him out there under a neighbors shed as it’s going into the teens again tonight.

Finger crossed he’ll come back and start using it. I’m surprised that flipped him out as it’s not whipping in the wind; I’ve got the plastic secured on all four sides.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great news he was in the cat house this morning and I just fed him breakfast. Then he went back in. It’s not windy so maybe that’s why (it is 4 degrees out though).