Stray cat might be pregnant? Help?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just be patient with her, I apologize in case you already said, but is this the only bathroom? It might be better if you can stay farther away, at least for a little while until she becomes more used to being a mama :)

how much should we give her of that at a time?
See how much she'll drink at one go, that can be your guide.

and I would get the kittens fixed but as far as I know none around here fix that young.
You're fine, you have a little bit of time.

Here are a couple of articles for the near future :)

How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother? – TheCatSite Articles

“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it is the only bathroom sadly. We live in a rather small apartment, but I figured my bathroom would be better for her than outside because nothing can hurt her ( even if she does not know that) and she will have all the food she wants. I don't expect her to love us right away or anything, I just want her happy and healthy/safe. I am not sure if she has given warning signs that I have not seen or if she is giving mixed signals etc. Is there a good kitty body language guide here? I figured stretching would have been a relaxed thing but she bit me after stretching

. I gave her one double dose of the kitten milk ( so 2 TBS of powder 4 of water) and she drank it pretty fast but has not touched anything else in the past few hours (I have wet food for her out and dry food) I will read these links for sure!.I have never had kittens or given any away before. Honestly I want people that I know to take them. If not I might ask potential new owners if they would send me pics of the babies so I know they are alright... not sure if anyone would want to do that or not but I would love it lol. This is all depending if the kittens are adoptable ( with how mom is acting I hope we can win the kittens over)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So today I was in the bathroom and mom was acting calm ( at least seemed so to me) She wasn't growling or hissing, she just walked over to her food and sniffed it, then streched some. I stood still as she strolled over and bit my toe and ran off as she hissed. I thought she was doing well but clearly she is not lol. Any tips are welcome. We don't touch the nest area at all, I was a ways away from the nest, she didn't growl or hiss before she bit me so it was shocking to say the least. I am not giving up on her at it has only been a day, but I want to avoid being bit both for me and because I don't want her stressed.
Streching isnt really a gymnastizing thing. Stretching and yawning is very often a way to of greeting friends! Cat friends and friendly humans!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Everything sounds fine to me! This is typical behavior for a mama cat who is leary of humans but beginning to TRUST you. Let her come to you, sniff you, even growl, and react as little as possible other than to speak in a soft, soothing tone. She will learn that she CAN trust you and that you mean no harm.

Eventually, as her babies begin to leave the nest to explore, she will see you interact with them, and further learn that you and the environment are safe. The kittens may hiss a little at first, but you sit on the floor and let them sniff you and climb on you also. They will acclimate quickly, and be in your bedroom before you know it.

Mom will eat more when she is hungry, and give her one dish a day of KMR as you already have. Too much can give her diarrhea.

Continue as you are and be calm and patient and mom will come around. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe have sturdy shoes/boots on in case she bites again, hopefully she's past that phase but just in case :)

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a bit worried about letting mom come over to me still after she bit me without warning. My toe is a bit bruised but hopefully it heals alright x.x I have been able to get her to eat and drink good so if nothing else she should be getting enough of what she needs for the kittens. She has been sitting out of the nest ( but just right outside it) so she can see the door and her kittens so I guess the set up is pretty good for her at least! I can't wait for the kittens to be mobile! I have one person wanting one of the kittens! ( someone I have met IRL and answered all the questions on the thread provided) I need to focus on that goal, one kitten has a human waiting on them!

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When can I get mom fixed? When will the kittens be fully weaned? Also if I decided to kick mom out before the recommended time to " be with mom" and let them around other adult cats would that work or do they need to stay with mom that long? I am wanting to do what is best for mom and kittens =3 I don't want the kittens to grow to fear us and I am afraid mom will attack once the kittens move around more =<

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do the kittens have their baby teeth yet? Are the kittens eating soft food on their own yet?

As soon as they are you can spay mom. She’ll need to stay inside a few days after spaying to heal from surgery, but do not let her outside until then. You will still be able to socialize the kittens. They may hiss a little but kittens this young are easily socialized.

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know they are too young right now I am just planning for the future. About what age would that be? They are like 2-3 weeks old I believe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mosr kittens begin to wean to soft food between 5-6 weeks, with full weaning by 8 weeks. You can plan to spay mom when the kittens are 8 weeks old. Many kittens continue nursing even when they eat wet food, though it’s mostly for comfort at that point.

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so I am not sure how old the kittens are. I know for sure at least a month but I think a bit older. They are all using the litter box and eating wet food and even hard kitten food! I need to start planning when I can give them to their new homes as I have at least 1 lined up. The new owner is willing to wait until it is good for the kitties. Mom has calmed down some though I am still kinda afraid of her. The kittens eyes don't seem to be blue anymore if that helps age them? I also think one is long furred! I have 3 females and 1 male <3

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The 2nd picture has a canned cat food pate and cat milk mixed and heated up a little! I am using pet ag milk replacer and wet food along with dry kitten food for mom and babies now.

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am thinking about getting rid of mom now that the kittens are eating because she bit again totally unprovoked. She seemed to be acting better but I guess she is not. She is unpredictable and getting brave now so whenever we go in she comes out at us. We don't want to be afraid of our own bathroom. Not sure exact age but a friend who works with cats a lot ( a shelter I think) said as long as they are eating it will be fine. I will be sure to give them milk replacer with their food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What do you mean by “getting rid of mom”? What do you plan to do with her? “Getting rid of“ sounds harsh.

She really needs to stay with her kittens for a couple more weeks at least. It sounds like she is still being protective, which is normal. She also needs spaying now to prevent future litters. I imagine being stuck in the bathroom is difficult for her. She can’t learn to trust when isolated.

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By getting rid I meant putting her back in the barn where I got her. I am doing what I can to get an appointment to get her fixed but I will only do a free one so it will be a while. Right now she is still inside but she can't keep biting us out of nowhere. She is too hard to read she sleeps with us in the room, eats with her back to us etc but she just walks up and bites us ( and draws blood) the kittens run over to us when we go inside so mom follows. I get she is trying to protect her kittens but she doesn't even act unhappy untill she strikes like a snake x.x I don't know what to do to keep us safe .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get her spayed ASAP. If you put her in the barn before she is spayed she will be pregnant again in a flash. Don’t do it. She will also calm down considerably after being spayed.

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I won't be paying to get her fixed, that is not an option. There is a program I asked to be added to a list for a free spay but they did not tell me when it will be. I can't justify I think it was like $120 or something on a stray cat. Any tips to keep us safe from her are welcome. Currently keeping her a bit longer but she can't stay in our bathroom forever.