Stray Cat Lives On Our Property.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding this cat for two years and I just noticed recently that he's living in a garage on our property. I'd like to trap him and take him to the vet to get some vaccinations. Do you think that would traumatize so much that he would leave and not come back.
I really love this cat.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think that would traumatize so much that he would leave and not come back.
No. If they have some food and shelter they will stay. It is done all the time. Have him neutered while you're at it. I have TNR'd (trap, neuter, return) several cats on my property. They're all still here.

Is he feral, or just a homeless stray ?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've been feeding this cat for two years and I just noticed recently that he's living in a garage on our property. I'd like to trap him and take him to the vet to get some vaccinations. Do you think that would traumatize so much that he would leave and not come back.
I really love this cat.
Question here is how is the relation between the two of you.
1) Is he friendly? Meows when he sees you? Come up to you? Allowed to be petted? Allowed to be carried? Eats with you around?
2) Or is he stand off-ish? Hides when he sees you? Only eats when you lay the food down and disappear? Hiss at you?

He made your garage his home because your garage is the safest place to be and probably have the best menu in the house :D and you being the friendly one that doesn't chase him away.

If he is option #1, then it is no problem bringing him to then vet to get his vaccinations and have him neutered. But maybe with just a little struggle on his side but he'll not hate you for it.

If he's option #2, then it takes little hard work to trap him. But after the ordeal, he'll still not hate you. It just take sometime for him to settle down and things will be back to normal.

You'll be returning him to his safe place with nice food and in a day or two, he'll be back to normal as long as you don't throw out or wash what's he has been lying on as his scents are there.

Once after returning from the vet, keep him lock up in the garage so that he does not escape till he calms down from the ordeal of going to the vet. And also after 8 weeks or so after his neutering, all his testosterones should've been discharged from his system and he'll not get into trouble with other males or females.

Just as what kittypa kittypa mentioned, after the TNR, you have food and shelter for them, the'll stay. Best is to build up your rapport with the kitty before then mission begins.

Do keep us updated :)

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really love this cat.
You should get the kitty a

Kitty Tube The Kitty Tube Generation 3 – with Straw Only | Free Shipping

while you are getting the cat to get vaccinations!

Common' it's getting cold out!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. If they have some food and shelter they will stay. It is done all the time. Have him neutered while you're at it. I have TNR'd (trap, neuter, return) several cats on my property. They're all still here.

Is he feral, or just a homeless stray ?
He's definitely a stray. He won't let me get near him. I've never been able to touch him at all.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question here is how is the relation between the two of you.
1) Is he friendly? Meows when he sees you? Come up to you? Allowed to be petted? Allowed to be carried? Eats with you around?
2) Or is he stand off-ish? Hides when he sees you? Only eats when you lay the food down and disappear? Hiss at you?

He made your garage his home because your garage is the safest place to be and probably have the best menu in the house :D and you being the friendly one that doesn't chase him away.

If he is option #1, then it is no problem bringing him to then vet to get his vaccinations and have him neutered. But maybe with just a little struggle on his side but he'll not hate you for it.

If he's option #2, then it takes little hard work to trap him. But after the ordeal, he'll still not hate you. It just take sometime for him to settle down and things will be back to normal.

You'll be returning him to his safe place with nice food and in a day or two, he'll be back to normal as long as you don't throw out or wash what's he has been lying on as his scents are there.

Once after returning from the vet, keep him lock up in the garage so that he does not escape till he calms down from the ordeal of going to the vet. And also after 8 weeks or so after his neutering, all his testosterones should've been discharged from his system and he'll not get into trouble with other males or females.

Just as what kittypa kittypa mentioned, after the TNR, you have food and shelter for them, the'll stay. Best is to build up your rapport with the kitty before then mission begins.

Do keep us updated :)
Thank you so much.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really love this cat.

Update:
We've not managed to catch the kitty yet. In fact now we have two kittys. Another showed up recently. I think that One belong to neighbors just not well cared for. He had a lot of Ticks so I put Frontline on him.
One does live in our old garage and he has a nice place to sleep in there. We made another small shelter for the other kitty. At least they're getting food and shelter.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IME they will make themselves scarce for a day, maybe two but then be back. If you get him neutered he is likely to stick around even more than he does now because he won't be wandering.

There are so many reasons to trap and vet ferals. Just so so many reasons. There's all the standard ones that you might already know- keeping the animal healthy, avoiding nuisance behavior due to territorially and mating (neighbors can complain) but then there's your health and liability. If that cat was hurt and you needed to get him to a vet and in his pain and fear he bit you- it'd be much much better to have a current rabies shot in him. If someone trespassed (as it's happened with me when a young girl wandered on my property to try to pet the ferals) and they got bit things could get very very bad for every person involved but the cat would likely suffer the most.

Get him neutered and vetted. He will not hold it against you and he will have a happier healthier life and you will have some peace of mind.