Stray cat in my back yard

Mkmcgarity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a really large back yard But because I’ve worked two jobs the past five years I’ve let parts of my back yard, mainly an area with bamboo, become somewhat overgrown, only focusing on the parts that could be mowed. Now that I have been laid off and forced home I’ve been trying to clear it out and come to find out there is a stray cat living in the bamboo area.

I’m very sure it is stray because it was extremely skinny and dirty with no collar. I immediately started putting out food and water for it. And though it used to run from me every time It saw me over the past weeks it’s become more comfortable with me around and will even let me sit only a foot away while it eats as long as I don’t approach closer. Today, I finally got it to sniff my finger tips.
I’m extremely worried about it’s health. It’s ears look terrible and it almost seems to have a limp along with many visible scuffs and scars. But I’m unsure what I can do. I don’t want to rush it but is there anything I can do now to help it? Someone suggested putting wormer in its food stating 99% of strays have worms but this is a new experience for me.

I also should mention I have two completely indoor cats so that would definitely complicate me trying to bring it inside. But I’m willing to try anything to save this kitty. I can tell it’s lived an extremely hard life. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Mkmcgarity, welcome to TCS!

Thank you for trying to save this kitty. Just :hangin: on for awhile for some answers as those with experience in this area may be able to help you.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you get the cat to a vet if you trap it? You might have to say it is an emergency depending on what vets in your area are doing. To me, it sounds as if it is an abandoned stray, possibly, and even if it is a feral it is making progress with being willing to trust you. However, it might take time to get it to the point where you could handle it, and that would complicate its health issues.

If you have any place in the house, including a bathroom where it could live when you get it back from the vet, you could see how it adjusts and then go from there with determining if you could find a home for it, keep it, etc. It must appreciate having food after who knows how long it was on its own.

I am not familiar with OTC wormers and I don't think that you could get anything from a vet. Some others might have more experience with that but I know that some are pretty close to pesticides.

I believe you can get Profender as a non prescription from Canada at CanadaPetCare. I have never used it but investigated it as my vet won't see one of my cats for tapeworms right now.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a really large back yard But because I’ve worked two jobs the past five years I’ve let parts of my back yard, mainly an area with bamboo, become somewhat overgrown, only focusing on the parts that could be mowed. Now that I have been laid off and forced home I’ve been trying to clear it out and come to find out there is a stray cat living in the bamboo area.

I’m very sure it is stray because it was extremely skinny and dirty with no collar. I immediately started putting out food and water for it. And though it used to run from me every time It saw me over the past weeks it’s become more comfortable with me around and will even let me sit only a foot away while it eats as long as I don’t approach closer. Today, I finally got it to sniff my finger tips.
I’m extremely worried about it’s health. It’s ears look terrible and it almost seems to have a limp along with many visible scuffs and scars. But I’m unsure what I can do. I don’t want to rush it but is there anything I can do now to help it? Someone suggested putting wormer in its food stating 99% of strays have worms but this is a new experience for me.

I also should mention I have two completely indoor cats so that would definitely complicate me trying to bring it inside. But I’m willing to try anything to save this kitty. I can tell it’s lived an extremely hard life. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.
It sounds like your progressing pretty fast which is good. A lot of feral cats take a considerable amount of time to get them to trust you. The last one I tamed took almost 2 years. It will take a little time for improvements to become noticeable in terms of weight and health. You might take some pictures every week so you can document the changes. Does it have an ear tip missing like it was snipped off with scissors? If so then it is a TNR cat, trapped, neutered, and released.
From the sounds of it you will likely not need to trap it. Just take a cat carrier out to where it is eating and leave food in front of it. Add some old towels in the carrier and it might take up sleeping in it. If you do want to take it to a vet call around and see which one will work with a feral cat. Not all of them do. You can also take pictures to the vet and see what they would recommend for treatment now based on what it looks like.

Janief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like your progressing pretty fast which is good. A lot of feral cats take a considerable amount of time to get them to trust you. The last one I tamed took almost 2 years. It will take a little time for improvements to become noticeable in terms of weight and health. You might take some pictures every week so you can document the changes. Does it have an ear tip missing like it was snipped off with scissors? If so then it is a TNR cat, trapped, neutered, and released.
From the sounds of it you will likely not need to trap it. Just take a cat carrier out to where it is eating and leave food in front of it. Add some old towels in the carrier and it might take up sleeping in it. If you do want to take it to a vet call around and see which one will work with a feral cat. Not all of them do. You can also take pictures to the vet and see what they would recommend for treatment now based on what it looks like.
Thank you for explaining the ear tip. I have a feral that hangs out in my backyard and comes in my dog door occasionally. It’s missing the tip of its ear and I thought maybe someone was mean to it. I’m glad it’s been neutered.