Stray cat have swollen lower lip

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

There's this stray cat that my mom and I have been feeding him 2 to 3 meals a day for about a year. Yesterday, I noticed that there's bite wound on his neck with some dried blood. I checked it and it doesn't seems too deep and hence I applied antibiotics powder on the wound as of now.

Today, there's a wound on his lower chin with some dried blood as well. It seems like he got into another fight with another stray cat. His lower lips seems swollen as well. But he's eating normally. Just seems a little less active compared to usual.

His neck wound seems okay for today.

I called the local rescue team hotline and they directed me to their clinic for an appointment instead. Their clinic hotline is busy hence I emailed them and I'm still waiting for a reply from them.

This cat has always been a fighter around the community.

I've attached some images about it. Is there anything I can do to help while waiting for a reply from the community clinic? Or is it life and death situation that I'll need to bring it to a private vet?

Thank you!

Yesterday:

**Checked on him today again and his wounds seems to be a little better, still waiting for the local SPCA to get back to me. This is today wound images:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look much better. I would get some cat wound spray at a local farm supply store, soak a small piece of rag with it (cats hate the spraying sound), and apply it that way if he'll let you. cats are very tough he should heal fine, just monitor him for abscesses that develop from fights. They start out as a lump or swelling, cause pain, and then burst and drain. if you see swelling for a few days and it isn't subsiding, try to get an antibiotic for him. Vets may give it if you bring a picture in and explain it is a feral cat that can't be transported. Is he neutered? That usually stops a lot of the fighting behaviors, I've seen huge feral toms completely ignore neutered boys who they attacked before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They look much better. I would get some cat wound spray at a local farm supply store, soak a small piece of rag with it (cats hate the spraying sound), and apply it that way if he'll let you. cats are very tough he should heal fine, just monitor him for abscesses that develop from fights. They start out as a lump or swelling, cause pain, and then burst and drain. if you see swelling for a few days and it isn't subsiding, try to get an antibiotic for him. Vets may give it if you bring a picture in and explain it is a feral cat that can't be transported. Is he neutered? That usually stops a lot of the fighting behaviors, I've seen huge feral toms completely ignore neutered boys who they attacked before.
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

His ear is not tipped but he is neutered. Brought him once to a vet once and got him checked about it. Most of the male cats in my around are neutered but they're always fighting. 😭🤦

His swelling seems to be a lot better now. I just went down to check on him. There's definitely swelling yesterday morning but perhaps, like you mentioned, the abscesses burst off. Just to check, if in any case that his wounds completely healed up before his appointment, is it still needed for him to go to the vet? He is quite an agressive cat and the previous vet had a hard time handling him too.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is so stressed with going to the vet I would call the vet and explain he is an outside cat and very aggressive. I have a vet that will then look at a photo and give me something to treat them with, usually over the counter. If he is getting better I myself would just monitor him instead of taking him in. But of course if it gets worse or he stops eating, bring him in.