Stray cat had kittens and may be pregnant again!

mrsknib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I was doing some research and came across this site and it's been a great help so far. Here's my story-
We have a cat of our own named Cinder. We adopted her from the humane society about 2 1/2 years ago and they found her as a stray. She's fixed. We tried to keep her as an indoor cat but she kept sneaking out and when we would keep in her she would pee around the house in retaliation so we just decided to let her go in and out. We have a sunroom that we would keep a window cracked open and she would go out through the window. A few months ago this adorable tortie started sneaking into the house when we had our doors open and eating Cinder's food. We would shoo her out but she kept coming back or coming in through Cinder's window. So I started feeding her out in the sunroom occasionally cause Cinder would get pissed when she ate her food. She's a very sweet cat and would let us pet her.
On April 15 my daughter and I were out in the sunroom and I found the stray in the corner of the room with 4 kittens! We had no idea she was pregnant. I figured the kittens were about 7-10 days old when we found her because they still had their umbilical cords attached and just barely starting to open their eyes. I think she had the kittens somewhere else and brought them in because there were no stains on the carpet or signs she birthed in the room.
As soon as we found her we closed the window and she hasn't been out since.
We named her Luna and have been taking care of her and the kittens who are all doing great! They are going into their 7th week now and are all over the place! All boys! They are still nursing but are also eating wet food twice a day and I keep dry food out for them too.
Here comes the problem... I'm worried Luna might be pregnant again. She's getting rounder around her mid-section. I can't use the nipple test because she's nursing. Since the kittens were about a week old when we found her she was outside and could have gotten pregnant again during that first week right?
If she is pregnant what do I do? Do I need to separate her from her current litter and if so when?
Is it necessary to take her to the vet to find out if she's pregnant? I took her to the vet about 3 weeks ago because she was vomitting and the vet said she looked very healthy. I'm thinking now the vomitting might have been kitty morning sickness. We're already spending so much money on cat food, kitten formula and litter I don't want to spend any more money unless it's necessary. We're already planning on taking the boys to get neutered next month at the low cost clinic if they are big enough. We want to make sure they are fixed before we adopt them out.
Sorry for such a long post lol! Thanks for any you can give!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vomiting was morning sickness. Luna will be due in another 3 weeks or so. Poor gal - back to back litters are hard on mom. See that she gets as much kitten chow and wet food as she wants. She'll need every bit of it.

Males can be neutered at 8 weeks or 2 pounds. This litter needs to stop nursing mom in the next week or two, so mom can be ready for the next litter.

Now that mom stays in full-time, this won't happen again, and you'll want to get her spayed as soon as the next litter weans.

A dish of KMR a day will help her calcium levels. She'll need that too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsknib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know poor Luna! I'm very glad she chose us to be her family. 

Thanks for your response! I started adding the KMR to her wet food last night since she won't just drink it by itself.

Starting next week I will start separating her from the kittens for increasing stretches of time. Its hard because I don't have a room to put her in that she won't be able to hear the kittens. I hope it doesn't cause her too much anxiety being separated from them.