Stray cat cries by the door to be let out

petluvver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My stray cat has beeen neutered for over 2 weeks now. He seems to be happy and content to be inside. But he still goes to the door and cries to be let out more in the morning as he can see what is going on through the glass door. My question is how long does it take for him to forget about his outdoor life??

I know it may be too soon, but please share your thought. Thank you.
244754743_1255613824851465_3365768359821950713_n.jpg

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lovely photo! And well, how long is a piece of string? Depends on so many factors... He will never forget but will adapt over time.

Could he be lead-trained?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petluvver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Anchoress, We did try to get a cat leash, but he won't have any of it. We live in the wooded area, so it will be harder for him to forget with all the wildlife activities going on outside. Hopefully, with the weather is getting colder, it will give him time to forget *optimistic*

Right now, he stays separately from my other house cats, so he could be lonely. We are trying to introduce them slowly.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine are all in these days as we are having storms so winter will indeed help make inside be more attractive

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you allow too many escapes, he will always be a PITA about it. Door discipline is critical.

If he does escape, go outside, sit on the steps, call for the cat, and when it comes, pet for a few minutes, and only then pick the cat up. Works pretty well for me, YMMV. Chasing the cat, on the other hand, usually turns out disasterously.