Stray cat around apartment

vengfulconch279

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the last couple weeks I've had an adult cat show up around my apartment. We don't know where she came from and we don't think she's feral. All of my neighbors feed her and love to see her around. She really took to me and my roommate she has tried to come into our apartment a couple times but we aren't allowed to have pets in our apartment. In the last couple days we are starting to see that she has a couple ticks on her and one on her cheek and possibly in her ear. We can kinda get close to her but she still seems kinda aggressive. If we just leave them there is will the cat be okay?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideally they should be removed and a flea and tick prevention should be applied. Maybe your neighbors who care for her can all take up a few bucks here and there and start a fund to get her some prevention at minimum. Depends what your intentions are. Obviously you care about her, as do the neighbors, but you aren't allowed to have them inside. Can you ask the landlord if you could pay a fee to keep her inside? If you aren't interested in that, then maybe you can find a home for her that is more suitable, especially when you get any extreme weather conditions. You could also take her to a vet yourself, have her scanned for a microchip while you are there and have a vet do a quick exam and remove the ticks and apply prevention, maybe a rabies vaccine too.

Lots of possibilities. Ticks can bring disease so there is always the concern of that if you let it be.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to trap this cat? Ticks cary lyme disease among other things so they really should be removed. Do not try to remove them yourself if you don't know what you are doing. You could end up leaving the head in her skin. Is she ear clipped? If not this is a good time to TNR her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vengfulconch279

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah we are afraid to remove the tick its near her cheek. Her ear isn't clipped and honestly no one can tell if its a neuter boy or a girl. we all think its a girl. I was looking into TNR but because we cant tell what he/she is I didn't know if that was an option. i think we could possibly trap her if we needed to but I don't know that help that would do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vengfulconch279

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ideally they should be removed and a flea and tick prevention should be applied. Maybe your neighbors who care for her can all take up a few bucks here and there and start a fund to get her some prevention at minimum. Depends what your intentions are. Obviously you care about her, as do the neighbors, but you aren't allowed to have them inside. Can you ask the landlord if you could pay a fee to keep her inside? If you aren't interested in that, then maybe you can find a home for her that is more suitable, especially when you get any extreme weather conditions. You could also take her to a vet yourself, have her scanned for a microchip while you are there and have a vet do a quick exam and remove the ticks and apply prevention, maybe a rabies vaccine too.

Lots of possibilities. Ticks can bring disease so there is always the concern of that if you let it be.
we've asked our landlord and he will definitely not let us keep her at our house and would remove her from the grounds. we are looking at so many options its just very difficult beause everywhere in my area is closed due to covid19

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What part of the world/country are you in? Also trapping her would allow you to take her in for spaying and vaccines and to check for a microchip. But if no one will do it now I guess there is no point in doing that at the moment. Have you asked around or put up fliers to find her a home or called local no kill shelters to take her in?

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor thing she needs vet care. Hope you are able to either catch her or bring her to vet. It sucks being banned from doing things where you pay to live!! Speaking from experience...