Stray Cat Adopted Me...causing Havoc

Breezylight64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning,
Couple of months ago i fed a stray. Next day he followed my 2 cats (Figgy 3yrs anfd Jax 1 year) in the cat window and into my home. He was friendly allowed me to pet him and then chomp, he bit me drawing blood. He also bullies and actively attacks my cats. He disappeared for about 2 weeks and the 2nd snowfall he came back in. I fed him, wiped him down, he was meowing agressively and attacked my leg when i walked by. He follows me so clise i trip on him. He also folliws when i am trying to feed my cats meowing loudly and attacks my feet. I am afraid of him, but then he drops to the ground starts rolling over to show me his belly and wanrts to b petted. He will cuddle on the bed with me, but i am scared to move. I watched him attack my figgy, who is terrified and wont come in the house.
I think he was abused, most likely kicked, plus he is not neutered. Did i mention i had cervical spine surgery in may, so dont want these bites and scratches to get infected......my cats jyst got back to " normal" after his 2 week departure. If i take him to the aspca they will put him down. I have tried to find him a home.....help

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's a bit unsocialized, possibly a former feral. Are you able to get him neutered? That might help with the bad behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Breezylight64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to call the aspca to see how much the neutering costs.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering a boy is a lot cheaper than spaying a girl. Here a neuter is $65. But for strays and ferals that still live outside, it is $50 for the whole package- neutering, vaccines, flea treatment, and ear mites. Maybe you can find a package deal like that, since he's still a stray living outside.

Breezylight64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats great information. I had been putting flea medicine on him. He is pretty clean ans lets me brush and wash him to an extent. He is lovable, lays next to me always has to have a part of him touching me . Can pick him up. So not sure whats going on or how old he is

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
+1...get him vetted and neutered...limit him to his own room while his hormones normalize. He'll become a different kitty in 6-8 weeks. Then begin re-introduction and integration to the household and to your others.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And please make sure your tetanus vaccinations are up to date. Given what cats use for toilet paper, cat bites can be incredibly dangerous.

Margret

Breezylight64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Calling tomorrow to make an appt for him. Will try to get him neutered asap. I live in a 1 bedroom apt. With the cat window in my room, so not sure how i will keep them separated. I am hoping after he is neutered my cats will try to accept him, and he will stop biting. Thank you for the information, i was so upset and i feel a bit better now. I know it will take a while.

Breezylight64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Margaret,
I will call my doc and see when my last tetanus shot was. Will keep you all posted

Breezylight64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Tuppy: Hi all, Tuppy got sick, so no neuter yet. the vet said he was about 7-8 years old, his hip injury was old and healed and that he may have a heart murmur, kidney issue and for sure he was sick with the herpes virus and upper respiratory infection. so he was on antibiotics and seems much better in activity and in getting over his cold and respiratory infection. sounds like he still has some wheezing. he goes back to the vet this Thursday (depending on the snow storms arrival).

my other 2 kitties caught what Tuppy had, with Jax, the 1 year old, getting conjunctivitis as well...its been a little rough in my household the past week, but am happy I was on vacation so I could tend to all three all day. seems like Jax and Figgy are a bit better, Figgy is still tired and sleeps most of the day, and is still sneezing a lot.

back to Tuppy - the vet wasn't sure how she would put him under to do his neuter, given his age and possible respiratory issues as well as maybe a heart murmur. hopefully he will make a full recovery and be on his way to getting dewormed, all his shots so he can become a healthy cat. HE HAS improved in his relationship with Figgy, although he does stare him down and follow him and block his exits all the time....kids...ugghh. lol. looks like Figgy is a lot less nervous, unless he is just tired from being sick.

will update again and thank you all again for your information!!

meows,

wendy

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please keep us posted on his condition. Great work taking the old guy in!
I found with one of my rescues that the biting, grabbing your leg and biting, all that was him saying I want attention and to be number one! Once I gave him that sole attention the biting/grabbing almost ceased. Now I'm able to treat him as one of the kids... equal shares. But it did take several weeks of jeans or long pants, not pulling away when scratching, etc. it seemed like once he knew he was equal everything was ok.