STRAY BOBTAIL FACING EUTHANASIA-HELP NEEDED

jararaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have been a member of the forum for over 10 years, but only post when I need help. Anyway, I am in rural Adams County, Ohio. We are fortunate to have an HSAC near us and they are doing a wonderful job. They have accepted strays (multiple) over time from us. Today I find that we are in an untenable situation. We have four indoor/outdoor cats (two neutered males and two spayed females). This beautiful blonde bobtail tomcat showed up on our property around the first of March. In the period of time between then and now, one of our two males has been into a fight with the bobtail. Our cat was the aggressor and also the loser of the fight. This has occurred and the last incident was deadly serious. And yes, we did keep our cats indoors initially, and after the first "incident" we kept our boy in but thought the bobtail had moved on (not so).

We were able to stroke and pet the bobtail on our deck and give it food, and it usually temporarily left. Not a solution, tried to get it in a carrier twice without success. At this point our HSAC was on board with taking this fellow. We finally were able to trap him (humanely) and transfer him to our workshop in the barn which we have used over the years for strays pending testing, neutering etc. Well, he "hid" in the workshop (a first). The day he came out I was petting him and he bit though my hand with no warning. ER visits x2. I wanted to think this was isolated. My partner accidentally let him out of the workshop, and then it took another 9 days or so of getting "close" to him on the deck when he visited to trap him again and get him confined to the workshop. That said, when we were in the shop something occurred to startle him. He ran to my partner instead of me, which was fine and lifted himself up to be petted beside where she was seated. Then he (without warning) delivered a bite. Fortunately his teeth lacerated the anterior wrist instead of punctured because my partner's wrist was too wide of course for him to clamp down with a true bite. I had to disclose these facts to the HSAC because I have a conscience. They recommended euthanasia.

Meanwhile because of commitments we have not been able to set a humane trap up in the workshop. Our vet also suggested euthanasia. Meanwhile, I have been going out alone to feed him ("Bobby") and he is jumping into my lap, purring, and "marking" me at this point after only a few days of visits and feedings.
We can't keep him because our one otherwise gentle male wants to kill him (get killed in the process) and the other three are terrified of him. If anyone out there knows of a solution besides euthanasia please post. I am absolutely heartsick and feel that this would have gone completely differently if I had realized how feral he was to begin with. Thanks for any help or advice. Sincerely, Carole

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All cats fight on resources - food, shelter, water.
4 males in one place are not easy to handle. But I am not an expert.
But I still can't get it: why euthanasia? There are many other methods to try before this extreme solution:
- make sure there is sufficient food for all
- make sure there are sufficient water sources for all
- avoid petting and train him not to bite
- visit the vet - some sick cats are aggressive
- call a behaviorist.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume they recommended killing him because he cannot be rehomed within 3 months (or maybe 6 months? Has to do with rabies prevention laws) of a bite incident, and they said they didn't want to keep him, so there aren't a lot of options.

Can he be a shop cat? Sounds like he wouldn't mind that too much. I've found that tomcats are somewhat prone to random biting (sexual frustration, maybe) but it usually subsides after he's neutered.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you could retrap him, where is HSAC on this now? Is he marked for euthanasia because is like now considered to be like a dog who has used up all his chances to demonstrate that he can be controlled or does he still have a chance? I see that W Willowy just made a comment that might be the answer to that question.

You have to retrap him now, from what I am understanding, and get him fixed if he has any chance at all. I do agree that is his best chance for survival. If he could be a shop cat, that would be great. Possibly once he is neutered, he might calm down enough to be worked with and rehabed somewhat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jararaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I assume they recommended killing him because he cannot be rehomed within 3 months (or maybe 6 months? Has to do with rabies prevention laws) of a bite incident, and they said they didn't want to keep him, so there aren't a lot of options.

Can he be a shop cat? Sounds like he wouldn't mind that too much. I've found that tomcats are somewhat prone to random biting (sexual frustration, maybe) but it usually subsides after he's neutered.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Rabies was not an issue. Following my serious bite the ER gave me oral antibiotics and instructed me to keep him quarantined for 10 days. I developed severe cellulitis of the right hand even after immediate medical attention, had to return for IV antibiotics the following day. Anyway, it's not about me. Our shelter suggested euthanasia because I led my contact to believe that what occurred (both bites to include mine and my partners) appeared to be petting aggression (from what I had read). Ours is a "no kill shelter" and if they accept a cat it is for life if not adopted. No. She felt there was no option other than (killing him) because of the danger he posed to an unsuspecting volunteer at the HSAC or worse yet a family with kids who adopted him. I believe now (and I COULD be wrong) that I just flat didn't realize how feral he was.

My current plan is to use Kevlar Gloves to put him in a cat carrier, take him to our vet, have him tested for FLV and FIV and if negative have him neutered, vaccinated, dewormed, etc. I can return him to the workshop of course. It is roomy throughout the center and fairly large. But it is essentially uninhabited except when we go in to visit him, bring food items, toys, etc. It is NOT a permanent solution.

I am hoping that he will continue to behave himself (if he tests negative) and that I can somehow someway find somebody to take him.
He is a really pretty cat and ironically my partner has always wanted a bobtail.

Thanks again, Carole

jararaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you could retrap him, where is HSAC on this now? Is he marked for euthanasia because is like now considered to be like a dog who has used up all his chances to demonstrate that he can be controlled or does he still have a chance? I see that W Willowy just made a comment that might be the answer to that question.

You have to retrap him now, from what I am understanding, and get him fixed if he has any chance at all. I do agree that is his best chance for survival. If he could be a shop cat, that would be great. Possibly once he is neutered, he might calm down enough to be worked with and rehabed somewhat.
Thanks for your reply. I am not a regular on these forums and may not be following any sort of protocol. Anyway, I kind of addressed your excellent points in my answer to Willow. He is in the workshop now and the biggest lover ever was, face rubbing and all. Yeah, I'm an idiot. Anyway I have Kevlar Gloves coming Monday and I will be putting him in a cat carrier to go to the vet as I explained in my response to Willow. Regarding your comments about using up all his chances, we have a wonderful "no kill" shelter and the Director who has children of her own could not in her heart justify a cat known to have bitten two people already who were no obvious threat and with not warning whatsoever. I understand her rationale. Conversely I am the one he is jumping into the chair and trying to rub his face against my cheek.

Thank you for your kind reply, Carole

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing to try to give him a chance. I see why the rescue/shelter cannot help him; there is true liability for them if the were to adopt him out or allow him to bite a worker. When I worked dog rescue we had a similar situation with a chow who initiated an un provoked attack, probably due to his history which was rather bleak, but still he was unadoptable and barred from events by Petsmart.

I think that you are giving him every chance that you can. Hopefully, the neutering will help and he can eventually find his way to a good home or stay with you. In any event, you will know that you did everything that you could. I had a situation with a stray cat who bit me a few months ago and ended up in the ER. Not my first time at the big dance for an animal bite...in fact, it was the third time. Use the gloves always; never give him a chance to bite you and if you have to, wear a jacket of some sort just in case.

The workshop is not a permanent solution but one that he will have to work with until this is all sorted out. I once kept a litter of kittens in a decent sized bathroom for 5 months as other things were going on in the house. Their other two options were dead in the street or eaten by a coyote so it seemed the lesser of the evils.

jararaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I am not a regular on these forums and may not be following any sort of protocol. Anyway, I kind of addressed your excellent points in my answer to Willow. He is in the workshop now and the biggest lover ever was, face rubbing and all. Yeah, I'm an idiot. Anyway I have Kevlar Gloves coming Monday and I will be putting him in a cat carrier to go to the vet as I explained in my response to Willow. Regarding your comments about using up all his chances, we have a wonderful "no kill" shelter and the Director who has children of her own could not in her heart justify a cat known to have bitten two people already who were no obvious threat and with not warning whatsoever. I understand her rationale. Conversely I am the one he is jumping into the chair and trying to rub his face against my cheek.

Thank you for your kind reply, Carole
But I still can't get it: why euthanasia? There are many other methods to try before this extreme solution:
- call a behaviorist.
- call a behaviorist.
Solomonar, Thanks for answering, I think. Maybe I didn't mention that we live on a farm and our four (4) cats, consisting of (2) neutered males and (2) spayed females have been with us for 11+ years in peace and harmony for the most part. They are indoor/outdoor and I fully understand the stance that many if not most cat covers take on this---but that wasn't my problem. This stray came to us, and when you (meaning me and my partner) cannot keep this stray cat and I clearly explained why in my post, then a shelter was my sole answer wiped out. I am waiting now on Kevlar to take this cat to the vet as I answered to Willow. I am afraid that your suggestions were beyond my capacity to carry out, i.e., a behaviorist????? And just to be he did not experience fight or flight over the lack of food, water or other resources. I do appreciate your thoughtfulness in taking your time to respond. Thanks, Carole

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
a barn cat?? he;d love his new life. barn cats are cared ell for. widh i'd be one, alot better than my human life. lol