Stray adopted me and need to relocate

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All-
I have been feeding a stray outdoor only cat for the past 6 years that adopted me! LOL -She has a notched ear so I know she is a community cat that has been spayed. At moments, she will even come in my house but only wants to return quickly outside after a bit. I have even left her in for whole nights when inclement weather but she will NOT use a litter box and one time even pooped on my rug before she could get outside again to go. I love her but she is not overly affectionate and pretty much only tolerates me dealing with her mainly.
My problem is hubby and I need to relocate and I don't think she would want to move from this neighborhood- I feel its fairly safe and she knows it well and is comfortable outside here but I do not have anyone to continue to feed her as of now(but would pay for food and care for her for the rest of her life). I am really a dog person my whole life so don't know a lot about care for a cat-How hard is it to transition an outdoor only cat? Any advice on getting her to use a litter box? She gets a little stressed when inside and wants back out again. I would at least like to try to convert her to indoor only if I can before I move and see if possible at all to take her with me? But that makes me sad to take her from her home as well-HELP! Any and all advice appreciated.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leaving her outside after caring for her for 6 years would be very hard for her. She has grown to depend on you. Technically you are her owner.

I moved 3 years ago and brought 3 outdoor feral cats with me. I had been caring for them for 7 years outside. When I moved I decided they needed to be indoor only. Since she will come inside that is a good first step.

I cleared out a spare bedroom. I moved all furniture to another room. If this is not possible just be sure if there is a bed in the room that it is flat on the floor and behind and under all large furniture is moved. If given the chance, cats will just hide.

Be prepared for her to freak out when you shut the door. Be sure windows are closed and blinds/curtains out of the way. One of my repeatedly slammed against the window trying to get out. THey do calm down.

Have a safe hiding spot such as a cardboard box with a cozy blanket or even a small cat bed. She will need a place to feel safe.

You can purchase some Dr. Elsey's litter attract to help with the litter box issue. Most cats acclimate in a day or so. If there's a pee or poop accident, just sop up the urine with a paper towel and bury it in the litter. Same with the poop. Cats are attracted by their own scent.

The first few days will be rough. I have had cats that cry and yowl for hours. Be prepared and just be strong. All of mine settled in a day or two. You can also purchase feliway plug ins to help as well as giving Composure calming treats or liquid.

I brought my cats inside 6 weeks before I moved. It was not a trial run, I just wanted them to be inside before we moved. Be sure your new place has space for her. When cats come inside, they need a room of their own to acclimate. Having free run of the house is way too much. It can take time. Some cats will adjust in a few weeks others can take months. Remember she may never be a sit on your lap type of cat. But she too deserves a chance at inside life.

Also sometime, she will need to see a vet. YOu will want to get her check for worms. Also vaccines. YOu can do that once she is settled.

I do hope you give her a chance. Just take it slowly. If you are in a rush, she will sense your rush and things will be difficult. Give her time and patience. It's a process.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing you can do that will be a huge help when it comes time for vet visits is to put a carrier in there as her safe place instead of a Cat bed, put a blanket or pillow in it and set it in the room with her. She'll get used to going into it and hiding when feeling stressed or anxious and it might even help keep her more calm during car trips when she's in her safe place instead of associating a carrier with bad things.

She most likely pooped on the rug because she was nervous/scared, it's a Cat's natural instinct to bury their waste so it's actually very unusual for one to just not use a litterbox. They are both predator and prey so burying their waste is a way to hide themselves from larger predators.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response!! So helpful with advice to try!

When I bring her inside, how long do I need to just keep her in the 1 room? When she comes in now, she pretty much has free reign over the house and will even settle on a blanket by the sliding glass door and sleep for a while before eventually getting my attention to let her back outside again. I KNOW she will cry a lot! Should I keep window shades open so she can see outside? Do I just visit with her in that room for a while before letting her back to free reign of the house? If she escapes from the room when entering do I put her back? Do I give her attention in the room if she is crying and howling to get out? Put feliway plugs in room as well?

I just googled the litter-do you suggest the litter attractant? and add this to the regular litter? Use more than 1 litter box? I am clueless about this- sorry. I know this will be a stressor for her probably as well.

I have already vetted her -fecal testing and vaccs and do regular prevention, etc for her as well.

Thank you again for your help- I am anxious about this but am hopeful it can hopefully be done.....

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keeping her in one room is to help her adjust to inside living. During this time you cannot cave and let her back outside. I would keep her in there at least one week and then see if she wants to come out and explore. But do not let her back outside. It will only make the process harder. If she starts to whine and yowl to get outside, it hasn't been long enough..

Yes, keep the shades open. But be sure the cords are secured so she doesn't wrap them around herself.

Visit frequently. I used to visit every 1-2 hours. I often would bring a yummy treat with me. I would sit on the floor ( never stand and loom over her) and talk softly. I had to get an extra tall baby gate to put at the threshold of the door to keep my cats from bolting out the door. You can also make a barrier by buying wire closet shelving and zip tying it together. It works so well. I would get the 6' sections. That way after awhile you can open the door and she will still be safe inside the room, but hearing the sounds of the house. How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

Give her lots of attention in the room. You want to try very hard not to let her out. If she gets out of the room, just quietly put her back. You can stay with her until she is a bit more calm. I put an old ipod in the room and played soft music. At night I had a night light for the room. I had a feliway in her room as well as one in my house.

I used the Litter Attract only. I didn't care for the small bottle that you can mix into litter. It was a mess. Just get the one in the red bag. I used it all alone for awhile and then just mixed it into my regular litter. Some people use some garden soil and leaves from the yard. I never found this to work and it just made a big mess.

Just remember that patience is your friend. Usually when things go wrong, it's because we humans rush the process. You need to work on cat time not human time! It's very hard, but in the end you will be happy with the results.

Ask lots of questions, we are here to help!

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keeping her in one room is to help her adjust to inside living. During this time you cannot cave and let her back outside. I would keep her in there at least one week and then see if she wants to come out and explore. But do not let her back outside. It will only make the process harder. If she starts to whine and yowl to get outside, it hasn't been long enough..

Yes, keep the shades open. But be sure the cords are secured so she doesn't wrap them around herself.

Visit frequently. I used to visit every 1-2 hours. I often would bring a yummy treat with me. I would sit on the floor ( never stand and loom over her) and talk softly. I had to get an extra tall baby gate to put at the threshold of the door to keep my cats from bolting out the door. You can also make a barrier by buying wire closet shelving and zip tying it together. It works so well. I would get the 6' sections. That way after awhile you can open the door and she will still be safe inside the room, but hearing the sounds of the house. How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

Give her lots of attention in the room. You want to try very hard not to let her out. If she gets out of the room, just quietly put her back. You can stay with her until she is a bit more calm. I put an old ipod in the room and played soft music. At night I had a night light for the room. I had a feliway in her room as well as one in my house.

I used the Litter Attract only. I didn't care for the small bottle that you can mix into litter. It was a mess. Just get the one in the red bag. I used it all alone for awhile and then just mixed it into my regular litter. Some people use some garden soil and leaves from the yard. I never found this to work and it just made a big mess.

Just remember that patience is your friend. Usually when things go wrong, it's because we humans rush the process. You need to work on cat time not human time! It's very hard, but in the end you will be happy with the results.

Ask lots of questions, we are here to help!
Wow! You are a lifesaver and so helpful and I appreciate it soo much! When we are ready I will definitely give this all a try! Thank You so much and I WILL definitely reach out to you again with more questions! Will work on getting the supplies for now... gate, new litter box and litter, feliway, etc.

One question- I know I will need to give time but how long should I let her cry before realizing it may be futile to convert her to indoors- weeks or months? This will be the hardest part for me as I hate to make her miserable leaving the home she has always known outdoors.....how will I know if she will never be able to adjust? I AM going to do my best though and TRY very hard to make her happy. PATIENCE is a virtue- HAHA!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first feral I brought inside cried at night for 5 nights. I then gave him liquid Composure max before bed and it helped. I had to run a sound machine in my room so I couldn't hear him. It was hard, but once he settled, he never went back to crying again.

The next feral I brought inside, never cried. He just sat in his hiding box. About a week after being inside he came out and enjoyed looking out the window.

She will be miserable at first. She will want out. Yet visiting her, offering some toys ( try a catnip toy) and feeding her will help to calm her. Also don't be surprised if she doesn't eat right away. She may do a hunger strike. Just be sure to find something she likes. Try very stinky wet food, canned tuna or plain cooked chicken. This is just to get her over the hump if she doesn't eat.

It's an adjustment period. All cats adjust differently. I have brought 6 former feral cats into my home. The first night is always the worst. Yet my feral that was outside for the longest (8 years) adjusted the quickest. He never hid, ate immediately and settled. It was as though he was saying "what took you so long to bring me inside!". Yet the first feral I brought inside who had lived outside for 2 years took a very long time. He calmed in about a week, but still tried to escape the room. But even with his difficult start to inside living, he is the sweetest cat. He went from a street wise thug to this docile sweet lap sitting boy.

Just remember she may not be happy at first. She will be afraid. But she knows you. Try to be relaxed around her so she will feel calm. If she has any beds or blankets that are currently outside, bring those into her room.

You can do this!!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue has really covered this but I would just like to add that the only cats I have ever transitioned into indoor only pets where and still are ferals. It definitely can work. Thank you for being concerned about this cat.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response!! So helpful with advice to try!

When I bring her inside, how long do I need to just keep her in the 1 room? When she comes in now, she pretty much has free reign over the house and will even settle on a blanket by the sliding glass door and sleep for a while before eventually getting my attention to let her back outside again. I KNOW she will cry a lot! Should I keep window shades open so she can see outside? Do I just visit with her in that room for a while before letting her back to free reign of the house? If she escapes from the room when entering do I put her back? Do I give her attention in the room if she is crying and howling to get out? Put feliway plugs in room as well?

I just googled the litter-do you suggest the litter attractant? and add this to the regular litter? Use more than 1 litter box? I am clueless about this- sorry. I know this will be a stressor for her probably as well.

I have already vetted her -fecal testing and vaccs and do regular prevention, etc for her as well.

Thank you again for your help- I am anxious about this but am hopeful it can hopefully be done.....

If you have blinds or shades on the windows in the room you plan to use for her I would highly suggest taking them down first as they often do not work well with Cats. It would be good to have the window uncovered so she can look out of it if she wants, and putting a Cat tree infront of it to give her a perch would be even better.

If she escapes the room yes, put her back. Especially if you are going to be moving soon, it won't do her any good to start to get used to your current house then move to a new one where she'd have to go through it all over again.

Spend as much time as you can in there with her, even if she just wants to hide and be by herself for now being in the room will help even if you aren't interacting with her directly. Watch TV, read a book, do whatever you'd normally do, it's your presence that counts.

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue has really covered this but I would just like to add that the only cats I have ever transitioned into indoor only pets where and still are ferals. It definitely can work. Thank you for being concerned about this cat.
Thank you for your thoughts- She is semi-feral I would say but definitely worth it and I will try!!

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have blinds or shades on the windows in the room you plan to use for her I would highly suggest taking them down first as they often do not work well with Cats. It would be good to have the window uncovered so she can look out of it if she wants, and putting a Cat tree infront of it to give her a perch would be even better.

If she escapes the room yes, put her back. Especially if you are going to be moving soon, it won't do her any good to start to get used to your current house then move to a new one where she'd have to go through it all over again.

Spend as much time as you can in there with her, even if she just wants to hide and be by herself for now being in the room will help even if you aren't interacting with her directly. Watch TV, read a book, do whatever you'd normally do, it's your presence that counts.
Thank you for both of your responses- I REALLY appreciate all the helpful advice! I like the cat perch idea too!! :)