Strawberries: Safe For Cats To Eat?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Terra’s favorite people food in the world is fresh ice cream. I just had a concrete mixer from Culver’s. Being the Official People Food Inspector of the house, she came over to inspect it, and made it clear that she would love a taste. Not knowing how well kitties can tolerate strawberries, the main flavor, I didn’t give her any.

Terra so rarely gets treats, and scorns most cat treats, and has always been very respectful of my food, so I don’t mind sharing every now and then, so long as it isn’t toxic to cats. Will strawberry ice cream hurt Terra if I let her have a taste?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strawberries are supposed to be okay. I don't know about the ice cream, what with cats being relatively lactose-intolerant. That being said, my cats eat a little of my strawberry ice cream once in a while (usually cleaning out the carton, good "dishwashers" that they are) and have had no problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

I know that cats, like most mammals, only produce lactase when the are young, but will only give her a small gob that could fit on a human thumbnail. Even if I fed her more, she would only get gas. Maybe mild cramps.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Strawberries are good for cats and help their immune system.

Ice cream, however may not be good for cats. The ingredients may cause digestive problems.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My wife and I used to be addicted to Godiva Belgium Chocolate ice cream. It's been long discontinued. At any rate, our last cat used to love it as well. I know that chocolate is a huge no-no for cats but when I was finished with my portion, kitty got the tiniest little lick of the melted ice cream on the very end of the teaspoon. He waited patiently for that tiny treat every time we ate it.

Not sure about the strawberry ice cream but the post brought back memories. Just had to share.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I'd be hesitant about it. But I'm overly cautious an have to check for years on the safety. Strawberries have a high sugar content (natural but still). But again that's just me.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Moonstone, I see you are a referee at the Cat Food Bowl. Would you throw a flag on strawberries?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Strawberries are not toxic, but are high in sugar, and cats aren't designed to properly digest plant material so too much can make them sick. My cats get a tiny taste of strawberry yogurt from time to time, it's never caused any issue.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Moonstone, I see you are a referee at the Cat Food Bowl. Would you throw a flag on strawberries?
I wouldn’t even give a taste. I’ve seen these cats reactions to food that they can’t digest well even though not toxic. I just give food made for cats and nothing else.

Last edited:

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suppose I should clarify: I never intend to feed Terra raw strawberries. I am asking if strawberry flavored frozen custard is something a cat can eat in extreme moderation.
v