Straw Under Mobile Home For Ferals

irenewise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a mobile home and have removed a piece of skirting so the feral cats can go under there for shelter. It has worked well for them. For the colder weather, (I live in Michigan and winters are cold!) I put a very large amount of straw in there for the cats to get some warmth. While the area under my house makes a good shelter from the weather, is the straw enough to keep them warmer, since it is a very large 70 ft x 14 ft space underneath my mobile home? I hope so! I don't have the financial resource to spend alot on the cats for this.
Thank you for all replies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irenewise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to put something underneath the straw?
To keep them off the ground?
if not straw is better than the cold!!!
Are you able to put something underneath the straw?
To keep them off the ground?
if not straw is better than the cold!!!
I can't put something underneath the straw without going under my home to do that and it is dirty under there and I don't want to go down in there. I put the straw in there using a rake. Raccoons live in there (I live next to a wetland) as well as the feral cats going in there. So, it gets yucky and I am a city girl at heart!
What material are you thinking could go underneath the straw??
It is a large space (70 ft x 14 ft) so it is an open space under my mobile home. I wonder if it would still get too cold under there cuz it is not a small enclosed space??
Thanks for writing!!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that the straw is under there any suggestions are moot. But - my first thought was plastic, like a heavy duty shower curtain liner. But that would be awkward to spread out. Plywood would be better.

Maybe join Freecycle, make the obligatory 3 "offers" of stuff you want to declutter anyhow. Then make a "want" and ask for a piece of plywood, explaining why you want it. I'm always amazed at what people give away (piano!) And what they ask for (futon, air conditioner, etc.) So a piece of plywood is a modest request.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a couple of wood pallets would work, those are thrown away a lot,
you could put something flat on top or just a bunch of straw
maybe a neighbor could help you?
you could reach out to the next door app, people can be very friendly and helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irenewise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now that the straw is under there any suggestions are moot. But - my first thought was plastic, like a heavy duty shower curtain liner. But that would be awkward to spread out. Plywood would be better.

Maybe join Freecycle, make the obligatory 3 "offers" of stuff you want to declutter anyhow. Then make a "want" and ask for a piece of plywood, explaining why you want it. I'm always amazed at what people give away (piano!) And what they ask for (futon, air conditioner, etc.) So a piece of plywood is a modest request.
Thanks for your suggestion!!