Strange Small Beetle/Bugs Falling Off Cat?

WanderLustKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off, we had a flea infestation on both cats (I have two). We used Frontline but it literally did nothing. We then put flea collars on both cats. One of the cats did not tolerate it well. Though it didn't appear to be physically hurting him, I don't think he liked the smell. He stopped eating and moving around. Once the collar was off he mostly returned to normal. I called the vet on this and they said we can give the cats capstar and cheristin which should be delivered by mail tomorrow. However, as much as we are finding fleas, one of the cats has these little beetle things on him as well? It's not both cats. Oddly enough though they both have fleas one of them has far less (even before treatment) one of them seems to be a magnet for them. However, these things aren't fleas? I've literally never seen them before. They've been in the house for awhile, they are tiny but they are hard, like beetles, and they can definitely fly because I've seen it. They don't fit the description of mites or ticks or fleas. They have also gotten on the dog. I mean maybe they are mites (Not sure I've ever seen one in person) but from what I think they look like to what these are...I don't think they are the same thing. I looked up "beetles on my cat" and was brought to a thread here about carpet beetles but we have no carpet in our house. Though I'm assuming that's "just a name" I don't know why they'd be in here and I've never seen these things ever in my life until these past two months when we've also had this flea problem and these are definitely not fleas.

Is there anyway to:

1. Figure out what they are?
2. Get rid of them?

and most importantly, will the captstar and cheristin get them off of my cats or am I looking at a way bigger problem here? As much as I see these things around, no one in my house has any sort of bug bites/flea bites or anything. Though I do have these beetles land on me from time to time I usually crush them or flick them off and it kills them. I've never been bitten by one but I'm pretty sure they are driving my cats nuts and I have no idea where they even came from. As I said in my 30 years of life I have never, ever, seen these things before especially not on any cat I owned and I have literally no clue what to do about it and need to get them off my cats who are both miserable. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting rid of bugs requires knowing what kind of bug it is, first.

Can you take a picture of the bug?

Try the "Bug Finder" on this website:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WanderLustKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Getting rid of bugs requires knowing what kind of bug it is, first.

Can you take a picture of the bug?

Try the "Bug Finder" on this website:
[/URL]
They do seem to be carpet beetles at least that's the BEST match but...okay so they are all on one cat. He seems to hate them, I have no idea where they could be coming from or came from, I don't know how to get rid of them. I keep reading they don't bite/feed on animals they just live in the fur? Will flea treatment do anything? Does he just need a bath? He's clearly miserable and I can't find any information on this at all.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I found this termite blog that has some interesting info.
See if that gives you more of an idea whether they actually are carpet beetles.
If they are, you'll need to treat the house as well. Flea treatments won't work as the beasties are feeding off the hair, not penetrating the skin. It sounds like a bath might be the way to go.. or a fine flea comb.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They may well be carpet beetles. Doesn't matter if you don't have carpets, I'll bet you have lots of lovely upholstered furniture...sofa, love seat, chairs and such. If they are gray, almost perfectly round, and about the size of the head of a pin or a tad larger, that's what you are dealing with. Call you exterminator and tell him you need the house treated for them, specifically. I had a horrible infestation of them, but one good treatment got rid of the nasty little beggars.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this termite blog that has some interesting info.
[/URL][/URL]
See if that gives you more of an idea whether they actually are carpet beetles.
If they are, you'll need to treat the house as well. Flea treatments won't work as the beasties are feeding off the hair, not penetrating the skin. It sounds like a bath might be the way to go.. or a fine flea comb.
Thanks for the site! I have a similar problem except they are tiny. Look like mites that crawl,not fly. I will try the diatom... earthI haven't seen them on my cats.mostly carpet and couch. I thought they were drain bugs at first in my kitchen

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you researched capstar and cheristin so you'll know what reactions to expect when you put them on your cats? As with any medicine, if you have the option, you might want to put it on in the morning on a day that
your vet is open in case one or both cats has a negative reaction. That way you can at least call your vet and not have to race to an emergency vet in the late hours of the night.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BTW...if they are carpet beetles, the nasty little beggars BITE! Dunno if they bite cats, but they do bite humans.

THIS is a carpet beetle. Two varieties. About the size of the head of a pin, or a touch larger: I think that's a quarter in the photo.
1605887781346.png
At their size, they look gray, unless you look very closely. THIS variety looks like a calico cat!
1605887853974.png