Strange!! My kitten is making a sneezing sound.

carlsonaemily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My beautiful kitten, Remi, started making a strange sneeze/cough sound on Monday evening. See video!

Some background:

I got Remi on June 6th and he’s about 9 wks. He had a wellness appointment with our local non-profit/low cost spay/neuter and vet clinic last Wednesday June 10th. He got his first round of vaccines, dewormed and flea treatment (he’s still to young for rabies). The vet also informed me he had an umbilical hernia that was a big too big for her comfort; she wanted me to come back the next day so she could take care of it and neuter him at the same time.

I did not realize the lump was a hernia, I thought it was his belly button still closing up. Thank goodness for my local non-profit clinic for educating me!!!

Anyways- Since the procedure (which was Thursday June 11th), he’s had no symptoms of illness; I’ve kept him in an inflatable e-collar. I took it off on Monday night because of the weird sneeze/cough sound he made. I put a little cat shirt on him instead to cover his belly.

The one strange thing I’ve noticed: Remi only makes this strange sound when I pick him up, he’s sitting near me or on me, or when we play together. When he’s playing by himself or with my other cat, this sound doesn’t happen. In my opinion (I’m no expert, just a loving cat owner!!) it seems like it’s related to when he starts purring heavily.

Again, he has no symptoms of any illness at all!!! I believe he may have spit up a hairball, but that’s it (he’s long haired, and so is my older cat; Remi likes to like the couch and there was a spot with lots of cat fur I believe he licked up when he had the e collar on). He’s been eating normally, drinking water, peeing regularly and poop looks normal. He doesn’t have any eye goop or runny nose. Truly nothing out of the ordinary. He’s actually been more playful and curious today than ever.

I’m open to some advice and opinions on what may be going on. I’ve read numerous things online from asthma to throat cancer 😔 I know that he should see a vet- but this is only day 2 of the weird sound with no other symptoms, so I don’t feel it’s severe.

I have only heard the sound once from him this evening, and we played for 15 mins earlier. He’s also sitting in my lap right now. 😊

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a little cough. Sometimes a bit of fur in their throat or a hairball. If there isn’t a bit bout of coughing and he is playing, eating, pooping then he is likely fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carlsonaemily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like a little cough. Sometimes a bit of fur in their throat or a hairball. If there isn’t a bit bout of coughing and he is playing, eating, pooping then he is likely fine.
Thank you for the reply!

It’s never a big fit of coughing- and he’s definitely playing as usual. He usually naps periodically between ‘play,’ but I noticed today was the first day he played for several hours, on and off with me and by himself with the 8-track ball :) He’s sleeping on my chest right now and I haven’t heard any sounds since about 530pm. Even then, it was just a single little ‘cough.’

Again- thanks for replying. It’s comforting to know someone has taken their own time to look at what’s going on with my kitty. I’ll certainly continue to keep an eye on him no matter what!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty is coughing from time to time, and she's playful, eating, playing and all.
On last Monday I had her checked with US chest scan and chest x-ray. The vet found a very slightly mild possible myocarditis and saw some bronchus not looking right in the x-ray, so it's possible that your kitty might have a similar condition.
The vet said it is possible that her chronic calicivirus condition might have given her this nice gift.

EDIT: check her also for lung parasites, though I guess he's too young for a treatment now.