Strange marks on nose

Liz & Apollo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I have a 3 year old neutered cat, his name is Apollo. About a month ago he got a scab on his nose, I thought maybe he burnt it on the toaster as is a bit nosey and gets into things. But just last night I noticed a new mark on his nose which looks identical to the one last month so I am wondering if it is something else completely. The last one seemed to heal on its own within a week or so.

Additionally he had what I believe to be some feline acne on his chin so I wasn't sure if it could be related to his nose? I've only had female cats before him and I know acne is more common in boy cats so just a bit worried overall!

I'll attach some images of his nose (I promise I'm not squishing his face, he just sticks his tongue out a lot) thanks so much for any help!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Liz & Apollo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess it's important to note that I adopted him a bit over a year ago so I have only had him while he was an adult cat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cat acne can sometimes move to the nose area, but it is often (at least on the chin) more like blackheads. The fact that it goes away is good, but since it does recur it is something to be watched and probably discussed with the vet. Those spots do look like mild burns but I would think that if Apollo burned his nose on the toaster once, he would not do it again. Anything else he gets into which might cause a reaction?

Liz & Apollo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't think of anything that would be related. No changes in food or anything like that. I guess its a bit dryer in the house with the heater on?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That really looks more like irritated skin from some sort of a rubbing abrasion, or even some sort of burn. Does it scab over or peel at all during the healing process? Any swelling that you can tell? Since it happened once before and cleared up and now is happening again, I would start to monitor his movements/whereabouts (in and outside the house, if he goes outside).

In the meantime, email a pic to the vet and ask about some OTC product you could put on his nose to help it heal quicker. Another 'trick' is to use chamomile tea bags (found in most any grocery store aisle/brand - they are almost always German which is what you want - not English - and get them with no additives), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and dab it on his nose a few times a day with a cotton ball or soft cloth. The tea has both soothing and healing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. It is also safe for him to lick off his nose.

Liz & Apollo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is strictly an indoor cat, and I have been putting some animal safe anti-bacterial cream on it (anti-bac is the brand name). His nose around the area is redder than usual but no real swelling I don't think. It doesn't seem to bother him either, he is still just as active and eats normally. I'm unsure if I can send images into the vet but I will check in because that would be a lot easier than taking him out there, plus who knows when I can get an appointment with the holiday coming up. I will look into getting some chamomile tea as well.

As soon as you google anything about scabs on cats noses things like cancer come up so I am just concerned, but everyone in my family says he is fine. I had two cats pass away within the last 3 years (one of old age and another of suspected lymphoma/IBD and steroid induced diabetes) so I can be a bit anxious when even the smallest thing pops up on Apollo now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, it does scab over, yes? If you find out that you can communicate with the vet via email, be sure to mention that too. And, if by chance, take pics of that as well.

It is not impossible that the dryer air in the house is causing an 'itchiness' effect and he is over-rubbing his nose due to that. That is one of things you can start to look out for.

Liz & Apollo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldnt say it scabs over like a traditional scrape. It never gets red/brown, just kinda remains translucent but becomes harder and smaller as it heals.