Strange Mark On Cat's Leg- Ringworm? (picture)

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

When we first got our new cat Dexter, he had ringworm. It cleared up quickly with some prescription shampoo from the vet and we really haven't thought twice about it.

The other day, Evie stretched and I noticed she had a small patch of fur missing below her armpit. Dexter plays rough, so I figured she had just gotten scratched or had a bit of fur pulled out. The area was pink but not red or inflamed, and scabbed over.

Tonight, Emerson stretched out and I noticed a strangely circular hair-covered scab on his leg. Does anyone with more experience with ringworm want to chime in?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
When my Barley had ringworm he was prescribed with anti-fungal drugs taken orally, plus creams and ointments. Not just shampoo. It took us weeks caring for the little guy, and all his beddings, toys etc were either thrown away or washed thoroughly as this is contagious, and I had other cats in the house. Fungal spores may remain dormant on the cats' stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
When my Barley had ringworm he was prescribed with anti-fungal drugs taken orally, plus creams and ointments. Not just shampoo. It took us weeks caring for the little guy, and all his beddings, toys etc were either thrown away or washed thoroughly as this is contagious, and I had other cats in the house. Fungal spores may remain dormant on the cats' stuff.
We were offered the oral antifungal for Dexter, but the shampoo was cheaper. :rolleyes::oops:
I'll call the vet tomorrow and see what she wants to do. Hopefully she can give a liquid medicine rather than a pill. How did Barley react to the ointment? Did he not just lick it right off?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
We were offered the oral antifungal for Dexter, but the shampoo was cheaper. :rolleyes::oops:
I'll call the vet tomorrow and see what she wants to do. Hopefully she can give a liquid medicine rather than a pill. How did Barley react to the ointment? Did he not just lick it right off?
My Barley's affected area was on the top of his head, so he could not just lick off the ointment. What was difficult for us especially for my husband as he was the one in charge - was each time we gave him the oral drugs. It was always a struggle. But after several days Barley became used to it and just swallowed the pill in.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Taking both of them in tomorrow...the vet needs to see them to confirm diagnosis. I'm going to ask about a liquid suspension antifungal vs a pill.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Just got back from the vet with two very unhappy kitties.

The vet "strongly suspects" ringworm and took the scab from Emerson's foot and some hairs from the spot on Evie to culture to confirm diagnosis. She didn't want to give them a systemic antifungal because 1.) They each only have the one spot and 2.) those medicines can cause liver issues. She suggested putting on some of Dexter's leftover ringworm shampoo on the spots for 10 minutes every other day and over the counter antifungal cream on both spots once a day. We go back in 3 weeks to make sure it's all cleared up.