Strange mark on cat's ear

mishadu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, new here.

My cat Misha is about 2 years old. He had this brown spot on his ear ever since we got him from the animal shelter. Had him for a check up and the doctor never said anything about it and I never thought anything about it either. But I feel like lately the area surrounding the mark gets red sometimes. Not all the time, but I'll notice it is red sometimes. I'm not sure 100% if the mark itself has gotten larger in size or what. Since I'm paranoid, I feel like maybe it has.

When I touch the area on the mark, it doesn't seem to bother him or hurt him. I also don't notice him scratching at it or anything.

Is this just a birthmark of some sort?

After searching online, I came across skin cancer and how the ears will sometimes show signs of it. This can happen if the cats stay out in the sun regularly. However, he's an indoor cat and doesn't stay in the sun.

I've included a picture. I'd like to note that in the picture, the color of the mark itself looks a bit different. In real life it's almost black/gray, maybe a bit brown.

Last edited by a moderator:

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its always smart to watch out for anything strange on a cat, so good job there. 

As for what the mark is, sometimes cats get dark marks on their ears. If it is just skin coloration I wouldn't worry about it. If it is rough to the touch like a scab then it could possibly be a sign of an issue. Try to get a measurement of it and see if it changes at all. If it does change, it could be cancer. However, may times a cat or dog that spends time in the sun will develop dark spots. My cat has lots of dark spots on his face and ears as he has aged, and our dogs get dark spots after a shave because the sun shines on their back. Its almost like freckles.

When you say the ear turns red do you mean just around the mark or the whole ear? Cats can use their ears to cool off so during hot weather the ears may get red as they cool the blood in them. Ears might also be red after a cat has scratched them.

If you are too concerned or if it does change at all, taking your cat to the vet and asking wouldn't hurt. The earlier you detect a problem the better.

I hope it all works out well. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishadu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!

The ear is usually red just around the mark. And the other ear is normal color.

The mark looks like a tattoo. Not scabby or anything at all.

I will get a ruler and measure it right now! And watch it for a week.

Thank you!