Strange happenings

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I applaud you for doing the right thing but clearly they are clueless about preventing escapes. Perhaps you can counsel them - the cleaning should have been done around the board instead of risking an escaping kitten. At least you are close by for the kittens to go to

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided the right thing to do was to go and find out the circumstance.

I spoke with the owner and they bought two cats 5 days ago, which is why they aren't chipped/vetted yet. He got out through a hole under the balcony that they blocked off but the piece of wood got moved while she was cleaning.

They didn't know the sex (she said it was female), the cats could easily climb out of the balcony (ground floor), and while I was speaking with her the other one scooted out the door on her. Half of me wanted to grab the other one and leave, the other half says they're kittens getting into whatever trouble they can.

I'm thinking the right thing to do is to have a conversation with them, give him back, with the understanding that if either cat ends up in my care again, they will be staying with me permanently.
Can you politely explain to these people how to take proper care of cats? It sounds like they don't know. Young kittens don't have any homing instincts yet and should be kept in. And if they run out, you have to go after them. That piece of wood isn't an adequate barrier. Help them fill in the hole permanently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought about having that conversation but I could talk till I'm blue in the face and I'm not sure if it would help. I just told them straight up that if either cat ends up with me again - I'm keeping them so if they don't want that to happen, they'd better keep them inside. That message I think they understood.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is a problem with love there - they are definitely animal lovers. Hopefully things work out.

Damn does it make me want a kitten though...
Well, you're in luck, JMJimmy JMJimmy because it's smack dab in the middle of one of the "worst" kitten seasons in recorded history and there are thousands of kittens in desperate need of loving forever homes with someone who will care well for them and love them always.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, you're in luck, JMJimmy JMJimmy because it's smack dab in the middle of one of the "worst" kitten seasons in recorded history and there are thousands of kittens in desperate need of loving forever homes with someone who will care well for them and love them always.
Really? Things have been pretty quiet in our neck of the woods. Only 1 litter for 3 colonies.

My wife has been pestering me for a kitten and/or a husky, I've been considering these two:

JASPER
FELLA

As they didn't get adopted at the recent free adoption day (normally clears out the shelters). Too many kitties not enough money/space! I need to pull a Nora and move to the country and found a cat nation ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? Things have been pretty quiet in our neck of the woods. Only 1 litter for 3 colonies.

My wife has been pestering me for a kitten and/or a husky, I've been considering these two:

JASPER
FELLA

As they didn't get adopted at the recent free adoption day (normally clears out the shelters). Too many kitties not enough money/space! I need to pull a Nora and move to the country and found a cat nation ;)
Oh, Jasper and Fella are GORGEOUS! I'd definitely bargain for a "twofer". :cutecat::kneading:
Yes, kitten season happens when the weather warms up every year, which here in L.A. is basically almost all the time. This year has been one of the worst. All 6 L.A. Shelters are full to capacity and threatening mass "euth". Jackson Galaxy, Cat Daddy Extraordinaire, just did a life flight for a bunch of them to an area where they don't have enough to adopt.
Please don't get a dog! Just my own plea. Those are notoriously bad with cats, too.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see Jasper and Fella are both 7 yrs old. It's good to adopt older kitties. They often get overlooked. The other group that gets discriminated against is black cats. They are most euthanized color of cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For us, 7 is young. It's not even middle-aged in current cat aging, as many cats live to be well into their teens and beyond. And black cats are my favorites, aesthetically speaking, though I love all cats. Adopting this pair would be so wonderful! I advocate for cats needing loving forever homes online, and there are so many instances where people pass on and their cats are suddenly in need.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll bet their owner died suddenly. It would be a big act of kindness to take them in.
My big hesitation is their dental state. It was over CDN$1500 on Julius & Morgan's dental care "catch up" (four extractions between them) so taking on two more that have had their dental care neglected is a tough one.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My big hesitation is their dental state. It was over CDN$1500 on Julius & Morgan's dental care "catch up" (four extractions between them) so taking on two more that have had their dental care neglected is a tough one.
Yes, I can understand that. Hoping and praying their dental health is good and that they will get dental treats daily -- we love Drs. Foster & Smith's dental treats which come in 3 flavors -- tuna, salmon, and chicken -- and are somewhat similar to Greenies. Also there are additives to water which are supposed to maintain dental health. TropiClean is the one we use, again, available from DrsFosterSmith.com.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a long long time but I thought I'd give an update

Scotty (Tubby aka Sir Tubbington aka Tubs-A-Lot) is the most rock solid cat now. Nothing phases him and he demands to be picked up and held frequently.

Junior (Junior Baby) has become our resident snuggler though is a bit fearful of certain things

Julius (JuJu) is jumpy but supremely affectionate and now very happy with all his dental work done and mats removed

Morgan (The Little Miss) rules the roost with an iron claw despite being the smallest of the bunch.

Being the truly insane people that we are we also added two dogs to the mix. Yes, that's right - not just one crazy Husky + Sheppard but a pair of them. Antigonish (18 months) & Tanuki (8 months) are incredible puppers who give the cats their space and have even been known to sleep alongside Scotty.

Here's the fun part. Today, it happened again. Another cat just wandered in, this time from the hallway of our building. No one knows who he belongs to but he's an unfixed male we're calling Bruno. He's very gregarious and obviously cared for, so he probably won't be staying for long, but for now he's acting like this is his home, dogs and all.

I don't know what it is but they just keep finding us. Last year (?) it was Loki, a black male kitten who wandered in, he belonged to our neighbour and was returned. Misha, also our neighbours keeps trying to come in from the outside... or just sits atop our fence staring in.

We're going to need a bigger place.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a long long time but I thought I'd give an update

Scotty (Tubby aka Sir Tubbington aka Tubs-A-Lot) is the most rock solid cat now. Nothing phases him and he demands to be picked up and held frequently.

Junior (Junior Baby) has become our resident snuggler though is a bit fearful of certain things

Julius (JuJu) is jumpy but supremely affectionate and now very happy with all his dental work done and mats removed

Morgan (The Little Miss) rules the roost with an iron claw despite being the smallest of the bunch.

Being the truly insane people that we are we also added two dogs to the mix. Yes, that's right - not just one crazy Husky + Sheppard but a pair of them. Antigonish (18 months) & Tanuki (8 months) are incredible puppers who give the cats their space and have even been known to sleep alongside Scotty.

Here's the fun part. Today, it happened again. Another cat just wandered in, this time from the hallway of our building. No one knows who he belongs to but he's an unfixed male we're calling Bruno. He's very gregarious and obviously cared for, so he probably won't be staying for long, but for now he's acting like this is his home, dogs and all.

I don't know what it is but they just keep finding us. Last year (?) it was Loki, a black male kitten who wandered in, he belonged to our neighbour and was returned. Misha, also our neighbours keeps trying to come in from the outside... or just sits atop our fence staring in.

We're going to need a bigger place.
Bruno needs to see his doctor. Could you -- would you???;)
Morgan and Tarifa obviously know how it's done. Small cats, like small people, often pack a big punch. 😼

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nice to hear from you again! Wow, two big dogs too. That's ambitious of you.

I know what Tanuki are, we have the real ones around here.

:thumbsup:

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
68836094_424530288170756_2827840613158994821_n.jpg

He doesn't quite look like it anymore but once upon a time he looked a little more like a real Tanuki

60931289_375492299751134_2353142647244431627_n.jpg

This is Bruno. The little miss does not like the cut of his jib it seems. We kind of threw him into the deep end (no proper introduction period) and he's adjusted very well. Curious about every little thing. I just hope we can find his humans before we get too attached.

20191011_114819.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:welcomeback2: Sounds like you have a full house of furry love bugs. :catlove:Thanks for the update.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 303112

He doesn't quite look like it anymore but once upon a time he looked a little more like a real Tanuki

View attachment 303113

This is Bruno. The little miss does not like the cut of his jib it seems. We kind of threw him into the deep end (no proper introduction period) and he's adjusted very well. Curious about every little thing. I just hope we can find his humans before we get too attached.

View attachment 303114
Loving adorable little BRUNO!:redheartpump: