Strange happenings

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry @Raina21  @Tarasgirl06  I didn't mean to imply that goldfish were in any way inferior to cats or any less deserving of proper care.

Just that they're not as likely to tear up your toilet paper, knock over their litter box or scratch the furniture.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*I appreciate it because I learned something.  TYSM* and I think I'm Asperger's, though I haven't been diagnosed because I don't believe in allopathic medicine and stay away from doctors.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we've turned the corner with Julius.  He's a very dominant kitty and he keeps trying to claim Scotty as his own.  A little before feeding time all the cats congregate around the kitchen so I decided to start petting Scotty knowing that Julius was nearby.  Sure enough Julius comes by to try to claim Scotty as his while I'm petting him.  Julius took a step forward to rub against Scotty then a step back in fear of me standing above them.  He did this a couple time so I put out my arm so that Scotty was rubbing my forearm and Julius could rub my hand, creating a "bridge" between them... and it worked!  I spent the next ~5 mins petting Julius while standing over him.  Something about that interaction just made things click for him and he's really starting to come out of his shell, even allowing us to walk up to him and give him pets (he hasn't been a big fan of people walking near him).  He's also stopped hiding under the BBQ and only hides under the bed when we walk in on him unexpectedly.  Big strides in the last couple days - he's currently asleep out in the open atop our chest freezer.

We've also been heading to the vet a LOT recently.  Mama and Scotty are now clean teeth kitties with zero extractions (yay!!!) and we discovered where they got the ear mites from:  Morgan.  Turns out she's got them in spades and the vet who we first took her to (not our regular vet) completely missed it despite doing cytology.  We saw the signs as soon as we trapped her and now that we know for sure she has ear mites, it's clear she was the source (only other cat besides Julius that Mama/Scotty interacted with).  Luckily, everyone was treated with Revolution around the same time which kept it from spreading - it's just a matter of actually administering the medication.  And wow is that difficult!!!  I thought Mama was bad but oh boy is he a sweetheart compared to Morgan.  She's the smallest cat we have by far but puts up the biggest fight - all over 6 little drops.  Thankfully she's also incredibly flighty so once we go through the screaming, hissing, & holding her down she heads off, pouts, then immediately gets distracted and we can pet her again within a few minutes.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good news about the dental but too bad about the ear mites. One of my cats had dreadful ear mites when we first found him. I think the ear drops must sting a bit, that's why the cats fight them. Much better than having mites, though.

And great news about Julius! Having a buddy makes everything go so much more smoothly, doesn't it? It must be nice for Scotty to have a friend too. Wasn't Scotty getting bullied? Having a friend should improve his position in the group a bit.

How is everything going with the construction work outside your apartment? Have any new cats come by?

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think the ear drops must sting a bit, that's why the cats fight them.
I've observed that it's touching the ears while they have ear mites must cause the mites to react and annoy the cat.  Mama fought me for 2 rounds of the stuff, however, while getting his teeth cleaned the vet was nice enough to give his ears a thorough cleaning as well.  He must have cleared out most of the remaining mites in doing so because Mama no longer fights the drops.  I actually gave them to him while he was snuggled up in a cat bed, he just went right back to sleep like nothing had happened. 

He's a much happier cat of late - playful, relaxed, seeking love - it's like he's 5 again

And great news about Julius! Having a buddy makes everything go so much more smoothly, doesn't it? It must be nice for Scotty to have a friend too. Wasn't Scotty getting bullied? Having a friend should improve his position in the group a bit.

How is everything going with the construction work outside your apartment? Have any new cats come by?
Oh they're not buddies... yet.  Scotty looks so confused when Julius tries to rub up against him like "why you in my space?" - Eventually he'll put a paw up and kinda push Julius away, it's quite adorable.  Julius tries this with everyone but Mama and is rebuffed by everyone.  Scotty still gets bullied but not badly or as constantly as before.  Just any time Junior is in a mood he'll try to ambush him repeatedly, Morgan will give him a couple swats any time they come near each other, and Mama - well Mama just likes his personal space lol

The construction is proceeding very slowly - any day it's warm enough for them to work they'll pop out and do some more.  No more cats have been coming around that we see because they've moved all the piles away from the building (Fire Inspector came around and fined them for having combustible materials piled next to the building).  Mostly I think it's because the TNR work has been successful for now.  When we get all the females you can really notice a change - a lot of the rogues move on and the cats that remain in the area don't all congregate at the same time.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Been neglecting to include photos in my recent posts so here's a batch ;)

Morgan was pouting here - very upset that Mama was in "her" bed.

Kitties everywhere!  Scotty was just out of frame laying in the bedroom door

Julius and Mama are starting to get along, managed to capture a nice interaction between them

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Great pictures. You have the same kind of stair as we have. Do your cats like to dive through and ambush each other from the underside?

Who is the tabby sprawled out in the last picture? That's one very relaxed looking cat!

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Great pictures. You have the same kind of stair as we have. Do your cats like to dive through and ambush each other from the underside?

Who is the tabby sprawled out in the last picture? That's one very relaxed looking cat!
The relationships between them are incredibly strange.  Junior (the one in the last picture) will ambush through the stairs like that but only when Scotty is the target and it's not playful.  Everyone else he's learned boundaries.  He tried it once with Mama and was promptly trounced and never did it again. 

None of them have really learned how to play with each other - it's all solo play.  Junior and Morgan try to play but Morgan's idea of playing involves yelling and hissing.  Julius and Junior have learned to play together - but only if there is a large object between them.  Their favourite is Junior hides behind the bedroom door and they bat each others paws until one pokes their head around the end and hissing starts... they're not the brightest bunch ;)  Julius will also try to play with Scotty on occasion but Scotty is so used to being attacked he recoils and runs away. 

Mama and Junior sort of play but it's very violent with claws out - more Junior testing his mettle against the alpha male than play... but Mama schools him every time and doesn't take it too far.  Mama's usually in a better mood after the fact so it works for them lol  I've even seen them going at it pretty good then just stop suddenly, decide they're tired and lay down right where they are and have a nap together.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, it's official!  65 Days. 

After 65 days Julius is now a full blown house cat.  He's no longer running away from me, in fact he's now running towards me for pets and leaning into me as I wash dishes.  He's figured out feeding time and now eats among the other kitties, he's figured out toilet time (what is it with cats and going to the bathroom?!?), and he's lounging out in the open instead of underneath something.  There are still a couple minor things for him to learn like bushies and sleeping on the bed with us there.  Though I kinda hope he doesn't learn the latter... long haired kitties + allergies + beds are not a great mix.  Oh I think I forgot to mention... Alpha Kitty is allergic to Julius - she keeps breaking out in hives
- he's got his claws into her though, he's home.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ConCATulations Julius!  

*and IDK how anyone could NOT sleep with their cats.  I couldn't sleep without mine.*
I wish i could sleep with mine but im a very light sleeper and wont get to sleep decent with them. >

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good job Julius. I'm glad you've settled in so well.

Is Alpha Kitty taking anything for her allergies? It's a shame snuggling with Julius makes her break out in hives.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Good job Julius. I'm glad you've settled in so well.

Is Alpha Kitty taking anything for her allergies? It's a shame snuggling with Julius makes her break out in hives.
Just having him around is enough not even snuggling!  She pops an anti-histamine every now and then when they get bad.  Once we can get him used to the brush I think we're going to take him for a shave + bath.  It should help get rid of the worst of the dander and then we can maintain him a bit better from then on.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an insomniac myself, and very type-A hyper, so I'm very bad at sleep as well, but I probably wouldn't get ANY without my beloveds curled around me.  On the few occasions when no one will come in, I have to get up and go in search of someone and bring them in and hope they'll stay.  

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

I wish I had better news to share as it's been a while. Unfortunately, we had to let the Sexy Mama go today. He put up a strong front for quite some time but kidney failure and mixed cell lymphoma overtook this loved grumpy old kitty who started this whole adventure. He will especially be missed by Alpha Kitty - he was her "kitty cat friend" who would walk by on top of the fence and majestically pose for her with each visit.

Rest well my friend.